The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: PHP on iPhone  (Read 7959 times)
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2008, 06:14:12 AM »

I just installed PHP 5.2.3 last night on my iPhone.

It's pretty sweet.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 07:58:18 AM »

Hey VS - I move this to a new thread because it's a great topic all on it's own.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:58:38 AM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »

@ VS - wow man, really cool. And a wild left turn on the thread as well  ROFLMAO

Yeah, you can install Ruby, Python, Perl, PHP, and Tcl from installer.app after a jailbreak.

FYI, the jailbreaks are one-touch easy now, take about 2 minutes total. I'm very pleased and impressed.

The terminal app some guy wrote and released GPL is pretty awesome too. Everything, and I mean everything important, that I can do from my computer, I can now do from my iPhone. SSH into one of my servers, use vim to open a file and code right there, all context-highlighted and everything.

Screw your SDK, I'll code in my scripting language of choice on your device, MFers!

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 09:02:22 AM »

I wonder if you'll get bricked again when they release 2.0 and the SDK on the 9th... that'd be a bummer, but I'll bet that the days of needing to jailbreak are just about over.

Because I rely so heavily on mine I haven't wanted to dick with it... but once the SDK is released I'll probably go the exact same route as you.

What exactly do you do with PHP on your phone? Did you install Apache as well (DesiNet @ Syndk8 did that) that would make sense - but otherwise I'm having trouble understanding the value. The SDK, xCode and Objective C is not that bad (besides a nasty case of the brackets in the syntax - it's rather ugly) ... why don't you go that way? You're a nasty bad C man and all...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 09:05:49 AM »

im still a bit of a pussy about this. I dont want to brick it. Not from jailbreaking, but when apple updates the phones next time, which will be in about a month probably. It seems like it has happened a few times in the past so far.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:11:24 AM »

All the rumor sites are saying June 9... and I feel exactly the same - it's just a bit too important to hack ATM.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »

It's virtually impossible to brick from what I've seen, unless you pull the USB cable out during a firmware update. Basically, you can put your phone into UDF mode (recovery mode), from there it is 100% undistinguishable from a phone that's never been touched. Regardless, I don't care. I'm actually not a real C whiz perk, it's been far too long.

I like PHP and Python on my iPhone because I can do...whatever. I don't want to use it as a webserver, but just running scripts from the shell works great. Pretty much - think of something you've always wished your iPhone did. There you go, I can do that.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:31:54 AM »

yea, vs, the bricking is not when you jailbreak. The bricking happens when iTunes tries to install the next update from apple. So just make sure you revert before you update, and turn off automatic updates as well. I'm just too retarded to have much faith in my ability to not just click the happy-upgrade-to-2.0-and-get-native-apps-button when it appears. lol

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:44:28 AM »

yea, vs, the bricking is not when you jailbreak. The bricking happens when iTunes tries to install the next update from apple. So just make sure you revert before you update, and turn off automatic updates as well. I'm just too retarded to have much faith in my ability to not just click the happy-upgrade-to-2.0-and-get-native-apps-button when it appears. lol

Yeah. I never automatically update. I don't even automatically sync really.

I just completed some fairly complex operations with the VNC client I installed on my iPhone on my home computer. VNSea works wondrously well.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »

that for me is the reason i have almost done it so many times.

perk and I agree, a rollup/foldup keyboard and an iphone with some kind of terminal service client (in my case windows RD), and I am stylin. Thats actually part of the reason for moving all my stuff to google apps. No more desktop really needed Wink Though of course I will still use a desk, just not needed.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 11:13:11 AM »

I was surprised how fast EDGE actually is when you use it for things of consequence. I can SSH into my servers pretty much like I'm on broadband, and I can VNC home as well. Funny to me, because while doing trivial things like surfing forums, it's much too slow.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 11:23:57 AM »

hmmm I wonder if thats because VNC opens a socket level, static connection. Web pages are pulled in pieces. each image and such are seperate requests. Its the requests on EDGE that are the killer I think. Also, VNC I think does some dynamic bandwidth magic, like reducing colors, etc.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »

I just purchased one of these the other day for when PinkHat and I fly... it's pretty cool - but it's not as long as I had hoped. I was going to try to jury-rig it to a hat to do the close-field monitor you and I had talked about Nuts, but no joy thus far. And I am still with you in hopes that a bluetooth keyboard may still be hookupable once the SDK comes out - then I'd be right in the pocket.

Give the VPN capabilities and (your right VS, it's very tight and fast) what I need to do with a shell over SSH, it's almost everything I'd need to repair something in my cluster remotely.

* naja.jpg (31.65 KB, 333x500 - viewed 256 times.)

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 12:22:21 PM »

...in hopes that a bluetooth keyboard may still be hookupable once the SDK comes out - then I'd be right in the pocket.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that since I have root access to the entire filesystem that I could probably hack something together.

I hold no high hopes for the SDK. They are not going to give you full access to the filesystem and OS itself. Being of the FOSS and GPL ethos as I am, I think that's BS. But that's just me.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »

As an official developer with the SDK in hand, I can tell you that the level of access is breathtaking. The only thing that I've seen specifically prohibited at this time is access to the physical port, and lots of suggestions about what you shouldn't do, but no specific traps in place to keep you from doing things.

Natch - the license agreement prohibits Sun from writing a Java interpreter for it, but the software does not IMO.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript