The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 06:45:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Perk's Obligatory PadPost  (Read 5462 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:49:23 PM »

OK, I have mine, do you have yours?

I'm actually posting right now on it with a Bluetooth keyboard. It's fine, although I keep reaching for a mouse rather than touching the screen. I may get used to it.

There's been plenty reviews already, and for the most part, the glow is real. This little device is simply amazing. Impossibly thin, vibrant, UFB touch response, smart, well designed and not a rough edge to be seen. It's completely polished. That does not mean, however, that it is without places for improvement - and in some places, pretty mighty. But since it'd be nothing but utterly expected for Perk to create another glowing review, I'll stick predominatly to my challenges with it.

It's clear that the 'pad has been tested quite a bit, but has not yet undergone the brutal scrutiny of lots of different types of users. I get the feeling that it works *perfectly* for exactly what Steveo wanted to do with it. There are places that it seems there's been less design time, or less emphasis.

A couple points that I've not seen reviewed yet that deserve note: I am immediately impressed that, although there is no notion of a menu system, shortcut keys work on the bluetooth keyboard. Cut, copy, paste even undo work exactly as expected - in fact I had done a bit of that here and then realized that I'd done it ... it was that seamless. Across the board, the naturalness and inevitablity of what I should do next seem apparent and easily accessible. It's clear that an incredibly huge effort went into making this device simply work the way that I'd expect ... even when I don't know what yet to expect. Another great point is the notion of saved state. The app system must have a nice and easy, quick way to save the state of an app, because I can go in and out and I'm not always right where I was,   but I may be really close. The degree to which state is saved is completely variable and seems to be bound to the app, not the OS. For example, using Pages I was placed right back exactly where I was. Bento is a reboot. I think we'll see more of this state behavior as apps improve and gather feedback. I also think that, since the rumors now seem pretty clear that multitasking will be part of OS4 there's not too long we need to wait. Current estimates are this summer with the release of the refreshed phone. On the other hand, this web site will be gone and my post will be poofed if I switch out to another app, so I daren't quit now Wink

My challenges today are not with the device, they are with implementation of apps. There are lots of bugs to be worked out across the board, but nothing is showstopping (although having tried streaming from ABC 5 times now and getting booted within the first moment of a show is clearly show stopping. Looking forward to them getting their act together).

First, most heinous offense goes to Pages, Keynote and Numbers. Wonderful implementations that are a great first shot and plenty room to grow. But the document mechanism is pure hell. I'm not talking about opening/saving/closing etc - i'm talking about importing and exporting. So: You've got this file in MS Word you want to be able to edit on your iPad? You fire up iTunes, go to Apps, scroll down to Shared Documents, select Pages, click Add, find the document you want "shared." It then goes into a repository on the iPad that, when you click open, import and select it, it becomes available in Pages. Once there it's great. Then you export, and you can select Word or PDF and you retrieve it in the same way via iTunes. Which, BTW is no longer anywhere near an appropriate or accurate name. It should be, iDoEverythingSortawell. There should be a better way to deal with documents, which leads to heinous offense #2.

Heinous offense #2 is even more unforgivable than heinous offense 1. It can be argued that this is a brand new interface - that no one has written an app like Pages for finger interface on a tiny portable before ... and you'd be right. Not entirely excusable but I'll go with it. No, this is far worse. I have a 60G account with MobileMe. Our client files are on Mobile Me. You would think that I could open, edit and save documents right to there with the 'pad ... you'd be wrong. In fact, you'd even be wrong if you assumed that there was an iPad app for mobile me yet - thje Apple store folks tell me it's coming, not to worry - but on day one FFS this really should have been addressed. I'll betcha that a lot of folks like me are going to go, "WTF is MM for if I can't access it and use my cloud hard drive on my cloudish portable? They really need to wake up on that one.

Citrix Receiver: Buggy. Badly. I'm sure this will get worked out, but it has problems with fingertips==button presses, I think it gets stuck and I need to reboot it ... keyboard interface is kind of whacky. I can give them some time as well - they'll work it out, but it was a bit frustrating today. On the plus side, once our cloud machines were pumping out an instance response was, incredibly, faster than my desktop. f'reals. Side by side testing mates - iPad rendered quicker. Now that could be that I'm viewing it on a 30" monitor that has to scale everything and has larger screen size... but still, that makes for a really impressive demo on the 'pad.

ABC: Doods. If you're going to have a service to stream stuff, you should make sure it works. Has AT&T taught people nothing about being unprepared?

WinAdmin: Horrible. HORRIBLE mouse interpretation. This little app is supposed to be an RDP client. Well, it shows the screen ... but the mouse should track my finger. Doesn't. Touch, it passes a click through and places the mouse (there). Don't waste your 8.99. It also seemed slow and clunky. Probably going to pony up for either the WYSE or Teleport and see how they do, although I think I'll let the nich decant for a bit before I plunk down any more. There'll be more like me that feed the developers back and they'll sort it out.

iPhone Apps: it's a 50-50. Minesweeper: reasonable. Monster Pinball: unplayable and bugged out. In all cases, having the little iPhone app in the middle or squared up a size is kind of funky. I'll hang out and wait for the iPad version, thanks.

Native games: Purchased Top Gun, Scrabble, Mondo Solitaire and Labyrinth HD as demos of the playability on the little thing. Top gun: loads of potential, a little funky. Great graphics refresh, fun, but I'm dead certain I look like a moron waving the box around. Solitaire: good and playable - however the slowish emphasis on card movement animation makes the game feel droopy and outdated. Speed it up guys. Scrabble: great to look at, excellent concept with the local peer-to-peer mode. Buggy - it bombed on us several times - but this as well will work out. I already received updates for both TopGun and Scrabble today - you know they're going to be on this for a while. Labyrinth: WELL DONE GUYS. Played excellently, was a great example of the 'pad's accellerometer and general game play. Love it.

NetFlix: Man, you just can't go wrong here. I started streaming Conan the Barbarian moments after I had finished syncing my pad for the first time. Movie started in about 5 seconds, ZERO HICCUPS. Looked awesome. Great stuff.

Popular Science, Time Magazine: Going to have to get used to digital media and everyone's impression of how I should use it. A little funky, but I think it needs time.

News sources: USA Today: WELL DONE. Now, go get better writers, editors and reporters. NPR: Nice, if slightly pedestrian. Worked flawlessly. BBC News: Predictably British, but nice interface. AP News: What, exactly, were they thinking here? Perhaps the most prolific of services reduced to a bulletin board style layout that actually makes finding the news I want tougher? Guys. You're killing me.

Accuweather: Gentleman. Don't reinvent the wheel. Creating a new interface that does not adhere to any standards of usage by any system I've used todayu does not make your app more "cool." Makes it more worthy of the trash bin.

OK, I could go on for a long time (as if I haven't) but you get the drift. Is it worth the money? HELL YA. It's a great device and will replace a lot of notebook usage. Will replace a lot of iPhone apps as well. Magical, yes. The best web browsing experience ever? Well, if I had Flash that'd be true. Other than flash, it's almost like rediscovering an old friend. Overall, the device is magical and amazing. It'll redefine what consumers want from portables, that's for damn sure. I'll post in a week or so after I've really put it to use in real life. Looking forward to seeing how it grows.

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:08:12 PM »

@MM: but on day one FFS this really should have been addressed.

Yeah    Probably has something to do with what nuts was saying about the Jesus Phone Wink

Christ is rising, you mother fukers, no time NO TIME!!  Release the iCracken!!

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:46:15 PM »

lol @mobile me... Perk you funny. for another post though...

Backup is SLOW. good god. are they not using the iphone code? oh wait, i have no idea how slow the iphone is, i havent synced in a few months.... ROFLMAO

heavy. I know not many people are saying this, but, it IS heavy. Not, "hey hold this 10lb dumbell over your head" heavy, but heavy none the less. My wrists are hurting a bit, which could be from all the technology masturbation, but I dont think so. hand fatigue is a pretty quick to onset. I think part of it might be that it costs $500+ and you subconsciously maintain a wicked grip on it. It also could be that i dont read books, at all, ever. So i am "out of shape". It weighs about the same as a hardback, so it could just be me and my whimpy girl-wrists.

Typing. You know what? I can actually touch type on it. The only issue is drift. You hands tend to drift because you dont feel the keys and cant rest your fingers on it. I am tempted to put a little silicone dot on the F and J keys if I end up using it alot (which i think i will). Then I could at least feel where I am. Oooh or a very thin strip, like a wire of silicone... hmmmm. someone go make me a product! I cannot type like I can on physical board, but I would guess about 70% speed, maybe 80%.

Do i see myself using it alot? YES. I already can see this becoming what my laptop never was... USED. My laptop is an inconvenience at best. If i could get a way to get an ethernet wire to come out of it, either by bluetooth or the port, I would be all set. The lappy would become my daughter;s new toy. I only need email, calendar, news and RDP on it. With RDP i never ever need a laptop. I just use my desktop from inside my ipad. I already used my phone for almost everything, but begrudgingly because of the size. I still will, in bored moments. But the pad is poised to become my laptop. I still need a full featured phone, because I refuse to gay up be really prepared like perk with the purse.

any protective case: sacrilege! The mactardgirl asked if I wanted one. I said "no i need to own it first, develop a few dings and such first." she hugged me. hahaha

Citrix. Yep a little buggy it seems. But yes, it kicked serious rabbit balls once the apps got ramped up to speed. (which of course baffles me anyway)

ABC. worked perfect for me? even thought the interface was not overdone.

iphone apps. yep. 50% work 50% "technically" work. i found the scaled mode not too bad actually. if your drunk it will probably look normal.

netflix. I giggled because this is their website. almost zero change. Works like it should, but then again, they got way mucho practice since their player now works virtually everywhere. Me likey lots. if it was cake it would be nom nom.

News. USA today is the best executed one of them all i think as well. The others are just "here is your fing news on a ipad". AP is the biggest attempt, but yea, its supposed to be new, not playtime.
NYT editors choice is the best "i just want to know whats going on".
USA today is the best over all for presentation. But you need to be retarded to read it because the articles are written for 3rd grade reading level.
AP is the most adventurous, but its a bit overblown.

Yahoo entertainment portal. First reaction was "cool". Then i used it. Its probably just me but seriously, does anyone actually want little simulated torn paper shreds of news headlines??? STUPID. But yet the main news section is cool with alternating photo/text boxes in a grid.

magazines: $5 an issue? FUCK YOU. I pay $10/year for the paper version, which costs you more to make and send to me than a magic e-version. But alas, I will probably still sub to popsci. lol

memeo connect: cool i can see all my google docs stuff in a prettier manner.

epicurious: awesome recipes. I want a step by step version, but hey, this is still very nice.

dr seuss ABCs: my kid Fing LOVED IT. She was all clicky click on stuff. Nicely done. not overdone.

framechannel: feed photos into your new $500 photoframe from multiple sources online, including flickr. YEAY.

Elements book: its a simple start, but, this is the peek into the future of educational books. Felt obligated to buy it, so i could show my dad, a chemist. bailed on my a few times though.

games I havent gotten to yet much. I got geometry wars, which is fun. I have it on xbox too, and it lives up, almost. the controls are a little iffy sometimes.

where the hell is the facebook app???
and me want hulu now. (which it is supposedly coming)

Wants:
hulu
facebook app that doesnt suck
flickr app so i can organize photos on it
a snap-on webcam and app for video chat.
media center controller app and IR emitter (emitter exists in about 5 flavors now for iphone, but no ipad native app yet). want from logitech...
an app from LeapFrog for my kid. They do thing the least badly and I think they could kick ass on this thing.
5 pack discount... LOL

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:37:10 PM »

magazines: $5 an issue? FUCK YOU.

ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:42:29 PM »

Backup is SLOW. good god. are they not using the iphone code? oh wait, i have no idea how slow the iphone is, i havent synced in a few months.... ROFLMAO
Interesting ... my first backup was ungodly slow, my next couple were pretty durn quick. I think they've implemented a delta there somewhere.

Typing. You know what? I can actually touch type on it. The only issue is drift. You hands tend to drift because you dont feel the keys and cant rest your fingers on it. I am tempted to put a little silicone dot on the F and J keys if I end up using it alot (which i think i will). Then I could at least feel where I am. Oooh or a very thin strip, like a wire of silicone... hmmmm. someone go make me a product! I cannot type like I can on physical board, but I would guess about 70% speed, maybe 80%.
I found I needed to modify my hand position and style just a little, but I agree, surprisingly pleasant to type on.

Do i see myself using it alot? YES. I already can see this becoming what my laptop never was... USED. My laptop is an inconvenience at best. If i could get a way to get an ethernet wire to come out of it, either by bluetooth or the port, I would be all set. The lappy would become my daughter;s new toy. I only need email, calendar, news and RDP on it. With RDP i never ever need a laptop. I just use my desktop from inside my ipad. I already used my phone for almost everything, but begrudgingly because of the size. I still will, in bored moments. But the pad is poised to become my laptop. I still need a full featured phone, because I refuse to gay up be really prepared like perk with the purse.
ROFLMAO Damn thing's too big. Have to carry it AND my purse. Gonna have to work that out ... but I agree that this might become what my 'book has always fought me about being. Might get into a carrier bag or something that is in between the Felix The Cat briefcase and my purse...

any protective case: sacrilege! The mactardgirl asked if I wanted one. I said "no i need to own it first, develop a few dings and such first." she hugged me. hahaha
I did opt, although it's not my typical MO. Got a nice leatherette one. Like the way it folds about to create a different work experience. Was *really nice* with the bluetooth keyboard.

ABC. worked perfect for me? even thought the interface was not overdone.
Rebooted the pad - several apps were bombing. I'd not rebooted since I installed 50G worth of sh!t, including about 40 apps, 19 movies, books etc ... one reboot and all's well.

netflix. I giggled because this is their website. almost zero change. Works like it should, but then again, they got way mucho practice since their player now works virtually everywhere. Me likey lots. if it was cake it would be nom nom.
Yeah, but it's an app Wink I was just impressed at the quick jumpstart of the film and the continuity. Plenty good fun there.

Yahoo entertainment portal. First reaction was "cool". Then i used it. Its probably just me but seriously, does anyone actually want little simulated torn paper shreds of news headlines??? STUPID. But yet the main news section is cool with alternating photo/text boxes in a grid.
Same. Loved the interface, thought, "Man, Yahoo's worked hard." Then I focused on the content. Next. /yawn/

magazines: $5 an issue? FUCK YOU. I pay $10/year for the paper version, which costs you more to make and send to me than a magic e-version. But alas, I will probably still sub to popsci. lol
Agree, retarded prices for mags. That'll come down quickly as the publishers realize that when you're walking on eggs, you try not to jump. They're trying to capitalize on the cool factor ATM, they'll get a little reality therapy soon enough methinks.

Elements book: its a simple start, but, this is the peek into the future of educational books. Felt obligated to buy it, so i could show my dad, a chemist. bailed on my a few times though.
Was gonna do either elements or Star Walk. Went SW. It's pretty great, for what it is. Perhaps we trade looksees on these two next week...

facebook app that doesnt suck -
I'm digging having the full blown website ... good enough for me.

a snap-on webcam and app for video chat.
BIG. Killer app, right there.

Interesting point: I've gotten 11 app updates already today LOL ... TopGun twice itself. I think they're gonna come fast and furious for the next few weeks.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:45:15 PM »

Oh hey. DO NOT BUY TELEPORT.

the iPad version seems to only be VNC... wtf?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:45:56 PM »

Thanks, good safety tip. Why, kimosabe?

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:48:58 PM »

beats the f outta me. 1 or two reviewers mentioned it.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »

Ah... Then I'll go take a look at the reviews, thx. Incidently, using the pad for what it was ultimately intended for right at this very moment  ROFLMAO  ROFLMAO

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:54:11 PM »

porn?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 11:10:16 PM »

Nope. Potbrowsing  ROFLMAO

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »

ah yes. do they sell a toilet adapter yet?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 09:09:53 AM »

Yeah, PooSB 2.0 works fine.

Downloading craplications understandably took a little longer than normal since I was in no hurry  ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:41:14 AM »

First day over, couple thoughts:

It'll take a bit for all the app developers to get somewhat consistent with UI components. Where it's touch the button here, it's hold and drag there. A little confusing, but once you get it, it's all good. Bento, for example, took a little time for me to get my arms around. But now that I do, it's a pretty great little tool for what I need - a sync-able mini-database with all the extra stuff I need to remember. All in, took probably 10 minutes to get the hang of it, but since other things are so easy, it's weirdly frustrating if something doesn't happen immediately with the 'pad.

Typing: going faster and faster. In fact, really fast. I think I could like it. The screen is responsive, quick - and the correct as you go has me in pretty good shape.

Dragon Dictation: worked like a freakin charm. Strong possibilities there.

USA Today: Less frustrated with the news today, seemed a tad better. Spent a bunch of time with the layout, it's the winner ATM. Clean, makes use of the touch interface and limited real estate absolutely the best IMO. But only free till July 4th (WTF... Independence day? What's wrong with that picture?) then we'll see just how enamored people are with it.

Citrix - starting to see workarounds for connectivity (I assume) issues. Working on it a lot so that I can demo to interested parties. Game Changer, right there. Awesome.

QQ for Nuts: Do you have a favored RDP client yet? Not happy with mine and don't want to shell for WYSE ...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 11:00:13 AM »

Oh, and BTW... Less unhappy with Pages Numbers and Keynote files ... Mail has an Open In feature which allows files to simply be emailed, opened, then in pages you can Export to email, so getting in and out of files is not quite so cumbersome. That said, still waiting to see what the MobileMe fix will be, because the real promise lives there.

(Posted entirely from the 'pad this morning ... Keyboard is getting better and easier to use.)

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript