The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 15, 2019, 08:06:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perk Leaps Into the Snow Leopard Abyss  (Read 3369 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 28, 2009, 01:56:07 PM »

I'm going to make the jump today, at least for the notebook.

I am going to do a clean install on the Macbook and an upgrade on the Powermac. We'll see how the two work out. I just finished pushing "Erase" on my 'book, oh MAN is that always a tough button to push. The reason though, is that the installer doesn't do a clean by default, and there's no option to select it in a straight-ahead install - I think they want to make sure that you REALLY know what you're doing if you want to clean the machine and start fresh. So after booting from the install DVD I launched Disk Utility and erased my hard drive, then went back to the installer and in knew what to do straight away.

I understand that I can watch the Lord Of The Rings while this thing is installing, so I'll let you know how Snow Leopard *and* Frodo make out. Should be an interesting afternoon.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »

hey while your waiting, answer your email Tongue

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:16:37 PM »

Don' wanna.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 03:58:07 PM »

OK, first milestone.

SL is up and running on the 'book. I was initially disappointed with the fire-up time, but I've rebooted a couple times now and it seems that it had some chores to get out of the way and now it's pretty good. Shutdown is *really* fast, boot is now probably about 1/4 of the time it used to be. In fairness, however, doing a clean install I certainly nixxed out some things that were making the old boot take longer. But that said, my old boot up took almost 190 seconds, it's now up and settled down in just under 30. Couple interesting GUI tweaks, definitely feels a bit spunkier, but otherwise pretty normal.

Now moving on to installing my apps - all of which say they should be good at the compatibility site. More as events warrant.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »

Popcorn

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:36:14 PM »

How are you going to install Snow Leopard in Powermac when Snow Leopard doesn't support PowerPC machines?

I have been using SL for few days and at least with my Mac Pro (8 cores) the difference to Leopard in speed is clear. I always thought Leopard didn't know how to properly utilize all the cores and all the Xeon features but SL seems to do a better job. Now we just have to wait that developers update their softwares to take advantage of SL's new central dispatch and other cool systems.

And 512px icons in Finder are cool.. I can now preview photos straight in Finder which is cool because it saves few extra steps.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 12:43:06 AM »

How are you going to install Snow Leopard in Powermac when Snow Leopard doesn't support PowerPC machines?
Good eye K - I had a Powermac for several years, forgot the name is Mac Pro now.

I have been using SL for few days and at least with my Mac Pro (8 cores) the difference to Leopard in speed is clear. I always thought Leopard didn't know how to properly utilize all the cores and all the Xeon features but SL seems to do a better job. Now we just have to wait that developers update their softwares to take advantage of SL's new central dispatch and other cool systems.
Dig it. Ran out of time today, gonna have to work over the big box on Sunday or so.

Last update for today: Notebook is running really well, all applications re-installed and running fine. Faster and snappier, seems to be just as advertised.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:00:49 AM »

I had a Powermac for several years, forgot the name is Mac Pro now.
Yeah, you are Professional now instead of using more powerful Mac computer Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 09:55:38 PM »

"Snow Leopard install downgrades Flash"

FYI - Probably a good idea to immediately upgrade (or re-upgrade) to the latest Flash: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10344478-37.html?tag=mncol;txt

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:51:44 AM »

Caught that as well, thanks ITTO.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 11:02:38 AM »

Now with the research for my new project even Snow Leopard is starting to look really retarded when you think about what could be done nowadays with computing power average computer has. Snow Leopard took finally the right step when focusing on the code and not new features. It's actually really funny how much we drag behind just because a simple fact that everybody can't afford even the low end computer every year. Oh the legacy package...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »

I think Snow Leopard is an incremental step towards a lot more. There's a huge amount of stuff sitting about that makes pure 64 a toughy, and I think it's wise for Apple to keep slowly putting pressure for people to move that way, without at the same time just completely throwing everything already running under the bus.

I think SL is a step towards the tablet, more voice integration, finger integration, pure 64 (duh) and perhaps even new embedded stuff. It's going to take them (and M$, with their efforts as well) quite a while to get everyone out of patchy32 and into the new world.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »

It's going to take them (and M$, with their efforts as well) quite a while to get everyone out of patchy32 and into the new world.
Yeah, my point exactly. Without all the legacy hardware that needs catering from both app developers and operating system developers we would be so much more efficient. Luckily all this computer hurdle is just about to end for average net citizen and we'll see if a completely new type of operating systems arise that only caters for high power computers. Since you can't be sued for cloning application features, all it takes is a really talented interface/usability designer and talent team of coders who modify their own Linux distro and remove all the excess package. Of course you still need applications but the way I see the future of computer usage, that's not going to be a problem when we talk about business usage only... there's always people for B2B software markets especially if the development process is easier because it can be optimized only for latest features in the processors and so on.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:31:26 PM by kurdt » Logged

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 06:23:41 PM »

OK, up and running with SL on the big machine.

NICE update.

Everything is quicker. Safari is amazingly fast, particularly for JS-heavy apps (the new Nitro engine really shows off there). Processors seem much quieter than usual while things seem to all move better.

Spaces problems seem to have abated. Word and Excel seem to play nicer now - which I suspect has been an Apple problem with MDI (such as it is on Apple) apps. I think I will finally be able to use Word satisfactorily on a space other than 1. Another symptom of Spaces getting attention is the processor activity bar. I've posted something like a dozen times at Apple that if you put the processor activity monitor on "Every Space" it doesn't ... it comes up on the space you're looking at and then moves away as you change spaces (the workaround was to use System Prefs, change it to any space, then back to all spaces and then it worked correctly till you rebooted again). Now it works exactly as it should.

Ran Photoshop CS2 - immediately a dialog came up saying I needed to install Rosetta if I wanted to run it, I allowed it, it downloaded, installed and rocked. PS seems the same speed. Looking forward to installing a new copy of CS4 I have here to see if it is better.

I agree with some of the pundits that SL is a move towards touch. The new icon for the keyboard viewer is a BIG tell. Where a GUI keyboard used to be buried and weird, now it is front and center... and resizeable! You can make it huge ... perfect for fingering.

I'll be scraping some films in a bit with the new 64bit Handbrake beta, that should be interesting.

Not completely away from sphincter factor ... that'll take me a few days to get through all my existing apps and make sure I'm out of the woods. But I am cautiously pretty damn optimistic.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 08:04:46 PM »

We are going to wait. I am too concerned about all the print problems I have been reading about. But it sounds like everything else is going about as expected.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript