The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:31:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Perk: interesting gadget for your appleTV rig  (Read 1512 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:47:39 PM »

http://4sp.in/2oA

turn your iphone/touch into a universal remote.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:34:45 PM »

That looks really cool. I have a brand new Logitech Harmony One about to get all programmed for the upstairs... that'd be much much nicer.

I just watched the "Getting Started" video and it looks promising, although a bit complicated at first to set up. Logitech uses a handy online database of components to identify the command signals for each device - this requires you to "teach" the biscuit about each command from each legacy remote. Although probably more flexible, this step looks a little daunting. On the other hand, their screen layout is WAY cooler than Logitech - you can add/remove/edit buttons for custom layouts for each activity. That's damn fine. What is considerably better is that your one phone works in any room with any station you've set up ... so one phone == all remotes. Sweetness, although again, quite a bit of setup. Another interesting addition is macro buttons - beyond just activities, you can have one-button actions to take you to your favorite channel and such. Nice.

The one thing I'd like to talk to them about is saving the configuration. There are several apps out there that do not backup their configuration/data anywhere. In other words, if the app doesn't back you up and you do a reset on your phone, data is gone. This has badgered many a notebook type app - so I'd like to see their plan for getting the data off it. Additionally, if you can get it off, can you move it to another phone? I'd not want to have to do each and every phone in the house ... it'd be much better to build the configurations, then let everyone have it for each room.

At $188 for the biscuit (the app is free) it's less expensive than a Harmony, so that's good as well. I'm going to call for more details tomorrow because I think that's a clever way of extending the phone.

Thanks Nuts, nice one.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 10:37:23 PM »

The one downside J thought of was that you need to have the phone around. Meaning, someone who does not live in the house would need your phone. Though of course if you get a touch its moot, but overkill.

In our case, my parents. They do not have iphones, and would not be able to control the TV when they babysit.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:04:34 PM »

Good eye.

Since I have the Logitechs already, I can attenuate that ... but it's pretty spendy to have both Sad

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript