The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:30:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: PDANet ... finally a reason to jailbreak?  (Read 9086 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »

I've had no need or desire to jailbreak my iPhone, but I think this app might just be it.

http://www.junefabrics.com/iphone/index.php

It runs in the background and creates a WiFi hotspot via the 3G. Since I have Sprint and PinkHat will carry the Verizon MiFi, having AT&T as a MiFi as well via our phones seems to make a lot of sense.

So to my questions: First, has anyone used this and does it live up to the advertisement and second, please fill me in on the good and bads of jailbreaking. My primary concern is simply losing the current functionality.

Thanks!

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »

PDANet is awesome. I use it always when we are on the road somewhere and we don't have wifi. I don't really know pros & cons because I have always had unlocked & jailbreaked iPhone. I haven't had any issues but I can imagine if you try every piece of code you can run, you'll eventually run into some problems. I use only most common jailbreak required apps like Winterboard customizations, PDANet, that video cam software and so on. Of course when you jailbreak you can install Installous which is basically warez mirror of Appstore where you can install cracked Appstore apps with few taps. But of course as you might have guessed, those are illegal copies so use your own judgement.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:31:22 PM »

To a finer point: This would be an awesome way for PinkHat to be able to have another MiFi as well. But if she can't just click, purchase and download normal apps as well it'd be a non-starter. So do you know, kurdt, if by jailbreaking you hamper other normal elements of the phone?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 02:14:05 PM »

I too have considered this as the sole reason to jailbreak. Why pay $60/month for limited mifi whe you could get unlimited for free...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »

Exactly. When it works, AT&T is the fastest 3G here, no doubt. But when it's crappy and I need a way on, then the Sprint or Verizon MiFi can take over. I just don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul. If I phuque up the phone trying to do this it just isn't worth it.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »

Only reason i wanted to jail break so i can run cool shit on iphone like a python interpreter etc.
When I had an ipaq I many times flashed the OS with different variants of linux, and then flashed it back to different variants of windows ce.

Most dangerous part of flashing is when you do transfer the bootup code. To make matters worse apple encrypts thiers to prevent jailbreaking. The slightest fluctation in power means you will not be able to reboot the device. With the ipaq if you bricked it you could always send it back to the factory and they would fix it.

I was always terrified when flashing my ipaq that i would not the USB cable, there would be a flutuation in power, and not all of the boot code would be transfered properly etc Smiley.

Ahhh the good ole days when all computers had a floppy drive and you could just boot off that Wink
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 12:24:35 AM »

To a finer point: This would be an awesome way for PinkHat to be able to have another MiFi as well. But if she can't just click, purchase and download normal apps as well it'd be a non-starter. So do you know, kurdt, if by jailbreaking you hamper other normal elements of the phone?
Umm, you lost me.. why you can't purchase normal apps? I do so quite often. Apple has no way of seeing if you have jailbroken phone so everything works just like it used to. If you want more technical details, you can always dive in at http://www.hackint0sh.org/f123/ .. nowadays you just download a tool like Pwnage, download newest firmware package, press few buttons and wait few minutes. That's pretty much it. It was quite different story when 2G came out and you had to do the oldschool CLI dance with 5 different tools.

One thing you want to be careful is with firmware updates. You need to update with PwnageTool so that your phone stays jailbroken. It usually doesn't take longer than few days people to jailbrake new firmwares if it breaks it but unlocking stuff is harder. But if I understood you correctly, you are only looking to jailbreak which is piece of cake.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:34:01 AM »

Last question - is un breaking as easy as simply restoring from a backup?

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:57:13 AM »

Should be because firmware is the only thing that gets modified in jailbreaking but I'm not 100% sure. If it's really really important, I suggest you check it from Hackint0sh before jailbreaking.

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »

Ive used pda net as a 3g connection for over a year on my palm treo.... it works awesome.
you can watch youtube and hulu and netflix... (with a small amount of buffering
and quality degradation) but for skype, vnc, and regular internet use its quite sufficient.

Uploads were capped around 20kbps but dls i got anywhere from 70-200kbps downstream...

not too shabby even for p2p....

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 06:24:10 AM »

Yeah.

Google "UltraSn0w" or "Ultrasnow", it's a one-click jailbreak package. It's safer than driving anymore, which is probably why I haven't had a desire to do it...no adventure! lol

hai
Icarus
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »

Just jailbroke iphone 3G and iPAD earlier... i have loaded "MyWi" from Cydia and it is working absolutely great!  Only $10!  I used to use PDAnet, but this is much better... it screams compared PDAnet.  I am also getting much better range - about 60ft in the house with no problem.
http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi.html

I used QuickPwn/Spirit to Jailbreak:
http://www.quickpwn.com/2010/05/download-spirit-jailbreak-for-iphone-3-1-3-ipod-touch-3-1-3-and-ipad-3-2.html

worked like a charm for both iPAD and iPhone with no issues/all itunes apps and sync work correctly.

No links in signatures please
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 08:33:05 PM »

suhWEETness Ica. Nice post, exactly what I was looking for.

Is your phone right up to date? Latest OS and baseband? When was the last time you accepted an iPhone update?

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:36 PM »

is there any reason to jailbreak the ipad for this? not required right? just the phone i assume?

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »

rockyourphone is expression engine it seems. see all the cool kids use it Smiley

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript