The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 06:00:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paralles Bug / Startup Bomb: Multiple Monitors  (Read 1764 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »

This post is just so that anyone else having a problem with Parallels will understand what's up without having to spend the $30 to speak to someone. It is almost exactly what I posted over at the Parallels forum so that users there could find it as well.

I have a Mac Pro with 3 video cards and 6 monitors - but that's the upgrade. I started with the Mac Pro, 2 cards and only 4 monitors. Parallels ran great. I installed the new card and 2 new monitors a while back and had not run Parallels for a while. When I start it up, it simply does the "Application Parallels has exited unexpectedly" and offers me an ignore, report or relaunch option. Nothing at all fixed it or would allow it to even start.

I purchased an incident worth of phone support (this REALLY sucks actually - I'm doing their triage on why Parallels doesn't work correctly and paying for it as well. And although reasonably kind, the Russian woman I was speaking to had plenty trouble interacting with me, which probably doubled the amount of time that I needed to spend on the phone) and we finally managed to ascertain that Parallels will work with 2 cards x 4 monitors, but no more. It is a bug in the way that they wrote the drivers and there is no patch. I am told that Parallels 4 will fix this problem, and that the beta for that will be out soon, but there is no patch for 3.x.

The only workaround that was offered was for me to unplug the video connections from the two new monitors, restart my mac, start Parallels (As advertised, it did work just fine then) and then plug in my monitors and scan for displays. Unfortunately, with Parallels running, the scan for displays made a horrible mess of my resolutions and layout and, in fact, put the Apple menus on the top of BOTH monitors 5 & 6. This is not a workaround at all, you needn't even try it.

So my work around is to unplug two monitors, reboot, then use Parallels, then when I'm done, shut down, plug them back in and start up again. This is an unacceptable situation (given what I do, it takes many minutes for me to do a reboot cycle and get everything running and reconnected to the outside world) but I am unable to make a switch to other software at this time. So I'll be waiting (rather impatiently, I'm afraid) to see if the developers get it right this time.

If you have other suggestions, please post them here - although ATM, a suggestion that I switch to VMWare is not likely, unless there's a way to port my Parallels disk image to VMWare. I'd be if anyone knew, it'd be VS...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:03:19 PM »

Just think, these troubles are only a precursor to the radiation exposure of those 6 monitors you lucky fucker.

ROFLMAO

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 02:09:53 PM »

What, are you kidding me? I managed to save 100K in space on my iPhone by throwing away my flashlight app because my nuts glow so brightly.
And you think this is a PROBLEM?  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript