The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 01:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OS-X RAID, couldn't be more simple.  (Read 1369 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »

OK. So I purchased an IOMega 1.5G external drive a few months ago - it's actually 2x750Ms but you can either simple combine them, simple 2-disk use, RAID 1 or 0 them. I had chosen RAID 1 because it's for storage of my music and movies, wanted it reasonably safe.

Day before yesterday the controller card blows out. Keeps starting up, shutting down. Can't do anything to bring it around.

So I think, what the hell. Crack it open, scoff the drives and decide to put them into 2 of my remaining HD bays in the Mac Pro.

Installation was uber-easy, as virtually every Mac hardware thing is. Opening the case there are 4 drive shelves, each with a pull-out rail. The rails have screws that have been locked in by a little nylon piece, so you simply set the rail on the drive, screw down the 4 bottom screws and push the drawer back in. Mates perfectly. This is not to say that other hardware does not have similar niceties, bit there's something about the ease and smoothness of the innards of a Mac that always make me happy. And it is always impressive how much Apple attends to little details, like having the screws permanently in the shelves so you never have to worry about that.

I brought the Mac back up with only one drive installed and it came up perfectly. I copied about 600G of movies off to another external drive, then installed the second drive from my original array. Brought the Mac back up. Went to Disk Utilities, selected the first disk, selected RAID and mirroring, clicked one checkbox to select "auto rebuild mirrored arrays" and said Go. BIG CAVEAT FOR PEOPLE THAT TRY THIS: It will destroy everything on both disks when it creates the array, just as in most any RAID installation. It took about 8 seconds for it to go through a process of setting the two discs up, and Pow! I had a single drive on my desktop that was the mirror. Last step, copy the movies back to the new array and tell iTunes where the library is and I'm all set!

Yes yes, I realize that all of this can be done with Windows and *nix and such. But I am always struck by how consistent and detail-perfect procedures like this are for the Mac. It's really impressive.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:04:15 AM »

Yes yes, I realize that all of this can be done with Windows and *nix and such. But I am always struck by how consistent and detail-perfect procedures like this are for the Mac. It's really impressive.

Agreed.... and sweet

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript