The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 14, 2019, 07:06:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OS-X 10.7 to allow backend logins like *nix  (Read 1851 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2011, 11:17:53 AM »

This is a total About Phuquing Time moment, but significant even so.

http://gigaom.com/apple/screen-sharing-in-os-x-lion-allows-multi-user-sessions/

FINALLY OS-X will allow users to log into accounts behind the front-facing account. This means that a user can be at the machine with another user logging in behind it to another GUI, bringing it up to speed with any *nix flavor or even Windows. OS-X has always had it so that a remote-logger-in was looking at the main window. Of course any number of people could SSH in, but that's really pretty useless. This is of primary importance to me and my 'pad: having 6 monitors on my desktop, then logging into the front-facing interface COMPLETELY RFs my desktop layout to satisfy the tiny real estate of the 'pad. This new capability will make it so that, just like any other system, the GUI will adapt to the size and capability of the receiving device.

This also opens the door to the notion of remote use of OS-X ie., terminal services or perhaps even a VMWare solution (not because this does any of that, but because they're getting less uncomfortable about presenting the OS-X interface on devices that are not Apple manufactured)

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:49:50 PM »

now all we need is to get rid of EFI so i can VM the damn thing!!!!!

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »

That was one of my biggest bitches about Apple.
I have no idea how you can develop properly without that.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »

I can't believe this was missing until now.  Screen real estate aside, what about privacy issues?  Remote administration where everything is in "PC Anywhere" mode is a horrible security hole and risks exposing sensitive data to anyone standing and looking at the monitor.  Well, better late than never  Undecided

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript