The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:32:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OS4 Event: Highlights. It's a doozy!  (Read 1530 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:08:23 AM »

Like it! Many really significant items in here:

• Multitasking this summer kiddies! Double click the home button, the task bar at the bottom is replaced by the event switcher. Well done.
  • Jobs says they've killed the batter drain issue. One can hope. The way they did it was to offer 7 new APIs that hook into existing background processes to accomplish these new feats without having the app load up a new daemon.
  • Audio backgrounding is one way to do it: let apps like Pandora hook into audio backgrounding, like the iPod player does. So Pandora can now behave exactly the same way that the iPod does (ie., play in the background, fade when calls come in, go back to work when calls leave etc). Took the Pandora engineers 1 day to get it working this way.
  • VOIP API: YEAH BABY. Skype now runs in the background. Calls taken while Skype is in the background. Game changer. Right there. Red bar on top lets you go to Skype from the app you're currently in ... just like the Return To Call green bar on the top when you leave a call to go to another app.
  • Third API, location services. TomTom just demonstrated giving verbal turn-by-turn directions while you're in another app.
  • New location-based social apps can be local to a cell tower, not network based so they're quicker and less heavy.
  • New push notifications can be local to the machine, rather than going through Apple's servers. In other words, you can write an app that will hook and notify without external support. Sounds a little like a local task manager to me.
  • Task Completion API: Upload a picture to Flickr, go away, it will continue just like Mail continues to deliver even if you're out of the app.
  • Last API: Fast App Switching - allows for apps to be left in state and then returned to quickly. Not true multitasking here, but fixes a HUGE problem.
  • Going back over the new APIs, it is clear that Apple has exposed all the backgrounding tasks they've used and therefore it doesn't increase the load THAT MUCH. But the truth of the matter is that if you've got shitloads of that stuff going on, you're going to increase net load on the processor and decrease battery time. Testing will tell the tale.
  • Folders: this is new, not sure yet if I like it. You can now create folders for categories (like games) and games can be placed into them. Clicking brings them forward. Great for people that have boatloads of apps  Roll Eyes New max for apps is 2160 (curious number, that)
  • Backgrounds - you can now have two and change them like the iPad. WHOOHOO Been really waiting for that one.  ROFLMAO
  • UNIFIED EMAIL! Now that's worth talking about. For those not in the know, unlike desktop email, if you have several emails accounts then you had to go to each account to see the mails. With unified you get a single inbox, just like the desktop. Very nice.
  • You can also now open third-party apps for attachments, like iPad ("Open in Pages" for example)
  • iBooks on iPhone: /yawn/ but ok, whatever. Wirelessly sync with your existing library, like Amazon. OK, nice to have them in both places.
  • Enterprise Features:
    • Security: Email and attachments are encrypted
    • Security: Apps have a new API that they can use to encrypt their own data
    • Wirelessly deploy apps for the enterprise
    • Support for multiple Exchange accounts
    • Game Support: New, built in support for social style gaming (local net stuff) - won't be available till later this year
    • iAd - built in advertising for app makers. It's a way for free app makers to deploy apps and make money (think spam sites with Google AdWords accounts) - ad supported free software, here we come. Clicking ads does not take you to the browser, it allows for interactive ad support right in the app. This is actually rather interesting to me and will be cool to see how it can happen without pissing me off. Ads look promising - like videos and interactivity right in the host app. It'll be abused, certainly - but it's a reasonable looking mechanism.

That's all 7 "tent poles" that Steveo outlined. The show is almost over. Looks like iPod Touch second gen and iPhone 3G (not 3GS) will get many of these features, but not the multitasking. Although "sunset/planned obsolesence" comes to mind, the difference in power between my son's 3G and my 3GS is extremely obvious. Could be that the additional processor load is just too much for the experience to be right. So back to my multitasking assertion: regardless of them hooking existing APIs and exposing them, you're going to use more processor and battery life will suffer. Totally expected, but a bit off what the reality distortion fields would like to say.

Features will appear for iPhone this summer, iPad owners must wait until fall. AUUUGGHHHH! (sort of makes sense but WTF?)

I may post more if the Q&A period pops anything interesting.

/p
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:24:05 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:17:07 AM »

Oh this is good: iAds are all written in HTML5. Want to create a reason to move people from flash to HTML 5? Let them make money at it. Brilliant.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 11:42:28 AM »

I think I just came in my pants.
 Applause   Grin   
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 12:23:31 PM »

ROFLMAO same. Excellent updates.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »

Quick list of minor features (over 100 in all) added to version 4:

File & delete Mail search results
Search SMS/MMS messages
Web search suggestions
Choose image size in Mail messages
Bluetooth keyboards
CalDav invitations
Larger fonts for Mail, SMS & alerts
Cell data only setting
Spell check
Persistent Wi-Fi
Gift Apps
Birthday calendar
Recent Web searches
Create Playlists
Top Hit in search
5x digital zoom
Nested Playlists
CardDav
Tap to focus video
Upload workouts to Nike+
Places in Photos
iPod Out
Home screen wallpaper
Search SMS/MMS messages
Wake on wireless

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »

Awesome awesome.. I truly Applause Apple for this update. Now I'm forced to get 3GS.. I bet 2G just doesn't have enough power to work smoothly with background apps enabled, it barely works smoothly now Wink

Now what OS is still missing compared to competing platforms like Android? I'm drawing blank right now but I bet somebody has features that we can hope to get in 5.0 Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript