The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: oooh, interesting  (Read 18837 times)
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2008, 06:48:58 AM »

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/11/apple-confuses-speech-dmca-violation

Disappointing, really.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 07:37:13 AM »

apple palys the money game. they have more than you, so they can send you a DMCA letter without caring if its valid or not. you fight it, they will drain you.

Apple is that hot chick that that gives you lots of sex but is a total bitch with a horrible abusive temper.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »

Yeah but they seem to enjoy stifling innovation and discouraging the hacker culture that made their company's existence possible in the first place.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »

i know. its a bit weird and I do wonder if they would benefit from loosening the reigns, or are they actually doing it the right way for a large company. Maybe one day we will find out.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »

The "right" thing is whatever makes them more money. They'd make more money if they'd just let people hack apart their products. Benefit from the innovation of others who you don't pay to tinker with your toys.

Just look at the jailbreak crowd. I can tell you with a reasonable degree of certainty that the *vast* majority of worthwhile apps in the apps store were available before the apps store existed. It's the same companies who are now selling these apps through Apple after a free beta test on the jailbreakers. Apple capitalized on this, but they need to take steps to encourage it and not stifle it. Look at the kind of money they are now able to make from the apps store.

Oh, and there are still better offerings available in the jailbreak repos than on the apps store. I really miss my full-featured BASH shell and syntax highlighting ls and vim.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »

...but they seem to enjoy stifling innovation and discouraging the hacker culture...

Too funny man. The word "enjoy" assumes that the corporate beast, Apple, actually has emotions. I don't see the anthropomorphizing of Apple as having much validity - the Apple board is simply Disney-like in their jealous protection of assets, nothing more. M$ is the same. Hell, they're all the same.

@ "They'd make more money if they just let people hack their stuff apart" - perhaps that's possible in the short run. But in the long run, Apple's deal is a user experience that is utterly unpolluted by other developers or contrary thinkers. You'd see this as stifling or counter-innovative: I'd say this is on par with an artist that wants his/her work to be viewed strictly within a certain context. Much akin to the much-maligned Disney model, they have hung true to their beliefs in the way things must be so that the user will have precisely the experience they want them to have. If this was truly a crummy model, people would not be voting with their checkbooks for Apple's success.

Art is not good when developed by committee. That's why Microsoft products suck. That's why Linux products may appeal to you, VS, but they will never sell to the masses in the way the Apple stuff does (in their current incarnation) because their just not easy enough for my mother-in-law to use.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »

for my mother in law to use

Ditto Im with you perkiset...  (reaches out to pull on tigers tails.... ouch sorry bad pun)

This is true my friends 70 something year old dad bought a g5 a while back and uses it all the time with few questions and hes never been a computer guy and was actually afraid of them.  On the contrary to further support this point i just sold an old chinese made build-a-kit-computer for a couple 20 bucks on craigslist to some older guy and i got irate calls that it wouldnt turn on. When i called him back and told him where the POWER button was (the only button on the front of it) he mumbled that he couldnt find the xp cd i said would come with it and then i told him it was in the cd drive which needed that big bright blue power button pressed in order for it to work and you get the picture...

Apple keeps the locks on what its software will go on and ive witnessed this trying to hackintosh its damn near impossible but they keep locks on it so the can be reliable IMO... you dont HAVE TO know what sse3 is or an ide cable you just plug it in and it just works for you.... Even idiocratic ebonics soundboard people can 'get their pictures off an iphone'. If apple were to support the fan base that linux/windows does and if they were expected to deliver installability on any third rate chinese mass produced new bleeding edge blunderboard they would have just as monolithic a babble tower as ubuntu and windows has right now.. 

Yeah i said it... and my ubuntu 8.0(some irrational number) virtual just get eighteen billion more updates while i was writing this...

If i wasnt so cheap id have one me'self...  Grin

The word "enjoy" assumes that the corporate beast, Apple, actually has emotions.

Johnny G5 Alive!!! Cheesy
     or was thaT WALL-EEEEEeeeevuuh!  (new pixar movie reference) okay i should have logged out
one martini ago.. cheers mates!

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
jairez
Expert

JTFC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »

I have a buddy of mine at work who picked up an old Sansa 200E player and he loaded Rockbox on it, ditching the os that came with the thing.  To be perfectly honest, I've actually considered picking up an additional 3rd or 4th gen iPod and trying this myself.  From what I've seen, this looks like a very competitive replacement for the iPod OS, and getting music and vids on the player is simple copying - no sync (I don't believe).

http://www.rockbox.org/

Also, according to the dox, it looks like there's a Doom plugin for it!  Applause

Anyone have any experiences with this or something like it?   Undecided

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 04:15:01 PM by jairez » Logged

Spontaneity has it's time and place.  [Sluggo, 1990-ish]
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 06:01:10 PM »

Disagree on the point that your mother-in-law can't use Linux. I understand the qualms "power users" of other OSes have with Linux. For the average user, a vanilla Ubuntu install will suffice, and much better than anything else. I witnessed this firsthand when I used to fix peoples' computers. If they got hosed repeatedly and assured me that all they used their computer for was web surfing, checking email, word processing etc. I would highly recommend to them that they let me install Ubuntu. I had several take me up. Unfortunately, it wasn't very good for my business. Those users rarely ever had anything to complain about again.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »

The point is not whether my MIL can, it's that she won't. She would not hunt out the machine, can't got to a nice clean store where helpful "geniuses"  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO help her select the right machine and get her going. The Apple experience is brilliant because it makes people that are really frightened of computers do pretty incredible things.

In the wash and glow of your perception of Linux's technical superiority, you have missed the entire case for why Apple has done so well. It's the exact same reason why Peachtree got the shit kicked out of it by Quickbooks. It's all in the user's experience.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »

And this technological world that you and I love so dearly slowly dies.

I know you disagree with me, but the chief reason I will always fight tooth and nail for the cause of Free Software is that it is *the* Internet ethos. It is what has made this thing we have so great, and The Internet itself, as well as the free exchange of speech and ideas altogether, will cease to exist without it.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 06:18:07 PM »

And this technological world that you and I love so dearly slowly dies.

I know you disagree with me, but the chief reason I will always fight tooth and nail for the cause of Free Software is that it is *the* Internet ethos. It is what has made this thing we have so great, and The Internet itself, as well as the free exchange of speech and ideas altogether, will cease to exist without it.

Hang on old chum - you have me wrong. I am neither absolute that the world must look like Apple or that Apple is superior to anything you espouse. It is simply superior in some circumstances. You know full well that my cage is lousy with Linux, BSD and Solaris boxes. It run almost completely FOS software for my servers. I love and promote this notion by being the owner/maintainer of my own FOS project.

It is the Borg Windows evangelists that will fight for a homogenous computing world, not me. Don't mistake the adoration of a particular product for desire for it to be the sole product. I don't disagree with you at all, except for your disdain and dislike of Apple, because it is a viable and excellent product for a particular market segment and/or technical requirement. Dood! We can't be disagreeing here when there are so many on my blog that need this energy  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »

True enough. I was probably just in a bad mood. LOL

I told my aunt to buy a Mac last night, actually.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 07:06:34 PM »

Applause Well done old man.

You realize of course that they are the only platform of any value or power?

::grabs helmet, dives for foxhole laughing maniacally::

dink
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:48:53 AM »

Been thinking on a Mac for a second box.  No apple stores within a hundred, or so, miles.  So it's via the tubes if I do go for it.

Much simpler to just chump off for a dell or hp and wipe disc.  :shrug.gif:

[quote Nutballs]
the universe has a giant fist, and its got enough whoop ass for everyone.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript