The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 12:01:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OK Nuts: What will you be doing with your jBroken 2G?  (Read 3156 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2009, 05:39:01 PM »

Fess up! Love the idea.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »

Oh Im not doing anything special, I am handing it down to my father in law, who is on Tmobile.

I went here: http://mashingkeys.com/?p=6
If you want to unlock it you also need these: http://www.opendrivers.com/freedownload/287432/apple-iphone-bootloader-3.9-4.6-download.html

only for 2g iphone from what I understand.

It looks like it worked, but I am not sure, since I don't have a TMO sim available for a working line.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »

I'm wondering about a non-provider connected phone ie., a computing device ONLY. What could I do with a little linux box that size?

Hoping VS weighs in here... I think having a little device that size disconnected from *any* network would be an interesting tool...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:46:13 PM »

well it would basically be an ipod touch then.

Though I was just playing with it, and couldnt get out on wifi.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:09:13 AM »

You could use it for any number of things.

It could be a remote control for any computer with itunes if you can connect it to your wifi network. I have used my phone this way while it was still a phone, but as a dedicated device it'd be even sweeter. I don't recall what the app is called but there is a free app in the repo that does just this. I'd recommend installing cydia as it's a frontend for apt which is a much more mature package management system than installer.app, which (afaik) is a frontend for Ports.

Or like Nuts said, an iPod Touch. Load it with some music and stick it in the car. Wouldn't be very worthwhile for me to do this, as I have MP3 players with much more storage just kicking around, but it could be a legit use for some people.

Oh, also: Now that it's jailbroken you can use it as a super-portable pen-testing tool if you'd like. There are a bunch of security-centric apps in the jailbroken repos. I know NetStumbler is availble, and there are probably some more. Heck, you could write your own very easily now that it's jailbroken. Install perl and PHP and you have your own suite of scripts to do whatever the heck you want. I used to have some of my PHP link dropping scripts on my phone so that if I'm someplace with free wifi, my phone could be in my pocket working for me from an anonymous location.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 06:12:22 AM by vsloathe » Logged

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »

ultrasn0w just got released.
https://twitter.com/iphone_dev

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 09:07:44 AM »

I think having a little device that size disconnected from *any* network would be an interesting tool...

I would just go with an eee pc 1000 for like 300$ they are boasting
10 hour battery life now and is like 2.5 times as big as an ipod touch.
it will run all day with a small 1.8w 40$ solar panel from pep boys to recharge it so you could set it up somewhere inside of a waterproof battery box or something, toss a tiny lawnmower battery in there, twist an inverter into the mix and it will literally go all day with no need for recharge ever.. the whole thing could be smaller than a normal sized shoe box... even better if you get the ADH plan if it gets stolen or self destructed you can mail the remains back and get another one ... LOL 

ubuntu boots right up.  I Have got two of them and they both
fit in my cargo pants pocket. Still havent heard of five hour
battery life from an ipod touch.  What is the best length of batt time on an iphone/ipod touch, doing hardcore tubing?

I used to have some of my PHP link dropping scripts on my phone so that if I'm someplace with free wifi, my phone could be in my pocket working for me from an anonymous location.

sweet..  we should make a remote control blimp ipod touch cloud network to hover over wifi spots and assimilate the masses.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 06:22:31 PM »

OK now this really boils me.

You cant even use the old iPhone as an iPod touch, without a valid ATT simcard in it...

WTF?!?!?!

So, everyone who has a left over 2g, cannot use it for anything without jailbreaking it... Seriously???
If you have no SIM card in it, and plug it into iTunes, it complains that its not valid or something like that.
If you put in a SIM card for a different carrier, same thing.

you HAVE TO JAILBREAK it to use it.

WAUW. Epic WOW.

you know how many handmedown phones there are?
Apple claims to be all green conscious. Plus they could get a boatload of new appstore customers.

Seems silly and dumb to me.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 09:50:02 PM »

Logan's Run. It seems to be one way or the other.

"Renew!"

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 01:32:54 PM »

OK now this really boils me.

You cant even use the old iPhone as an iPod touch, without a valid ATT simcard in it...

WTF?!?!?!

im with you...

thats what i like about palm os it was a pda seperate from a phone connection and even if i am in the middle of the ocean i can hotsync with the palm device, write apps for it, etc...

apple is one of the nice hard/soft-ware jails... more like a resort... like where white  collar criminals go to play golf ....   i mean the very FIRST program i ever wrote for money had an encrypted self destruct feature so if i got fired it wouldnt .

But this software and hardware jail isnt really a jail IMO its more of a sterile scientific testing environment... they use that control to ensure a smooth hassle free experience..... well at least they used to until they ditched the motorola..... not awesome.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 01:38:40 PM »

What's funny is how I cannot throw stones, and in fact neither can you JM. Or you Nuts.

Much of my business model involves fur-lined, solid gold handcuffs. Much akin to the Apple model. Fur-lined and solid gold to be sure, but handcuffs nonetheless. I mean, your very post describes how you created your own jail JM. I don't fault this at all - it's part of how customer retention works. But we need to make sure we look ourselves in the eye when we talk about their model.

How can we fault Apple for being any different than the way that we behave as well?
And sorry, but I know you (and so many others here on the board) simply too well for you to try to convince me otherwise.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »

i agree in principle.

however, the agreement I have with clients is to maintain, until they tell me to piss off. Then I owe them nothing at all, but they can keep using whatever I made for them. I of course make it easy, but I dont require them to steal the code once they decide to move on.

The agreement I had with ATT was 2 years, then I own it and owe them nothing. I continue to use their service and am now in another 2year contract. The person I handed the phone down to also is continuing to use ATT. Apple should be OK with it, since they would be getting more App downloads.

Without jailbreaking, att is retaining an existing customer and apple is getting a new customer that will buy apps. sounds like win win for both of them.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 03:51:05 PM »

I agree with you as well. In fact, the notion of handcuffs is errant in my case - (not JM's example however) - although I keep my customers because my value would be extraordinarily difficult for them to recreate with another vendor, there is nothing that enforces or restricts them from going elsewhere. It's just that I make the proposition of staying with us financially and operationally too sweet and easy for them to stay.

The AT&T/Apple alliance is much more of a lockdown that what you and I offer. I agree that, after having fulfilled your agreement, you should be free to do WTF you wish to with the hardware.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript