The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:37:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama: iPad a distraction, not a source of empowerment  (Read 3119 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/09/obama-ipad-xbox-turn-info_n_569289.html

"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank that high on the truth meter," he told the students. "And with iPods and iPads, and Xboxes and PlayStations ... information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation..."

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 10:52:44 PM »

Uuh, it seems that government is waking up to a fact that free flow of information might pose a threat to those who want to pose themselves as ultimate authority. Though he might have had a tad more credibility if he hadn't used game consoles and mp3 players as truth bending devices.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 11:25:06 PM »

Uuh, it seems that government is waking up to a fact that free flow of information might pose a threat to those who want to pose themselves as ultimate authority.

If it was "free flow of information" that he was concerned about then iPads and XBoxes wouldn't be a great place to start 

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 01:41:45 AM »

Uuh, it seems that government is waking up to a fact that free flow of information might pose a threat to those who want to pose themselves as ultimate authority.

If it was "free flow of information" that he was concerned about then iPads and XBoxes wouldn't be a great place to start 
By "free flow of information" I meant opinions, point of views and arguments. As you can see, what he basically says is that music and video games have become threat (distraction) against/from true information (government's policy). A lot of music and video games contain very liberal political views and they are corrosive against government because those views backed up by common sense and sense of freedom. That fights against the fact that one instance controls the truth like it has been always before.

I think it's quite obvious and easy logic that politicians who are trying to advance their agenda don't like when other people get to say their agenda so freely to big masses.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 01:43:27 AM by kurdt » Logged

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 07:03:13 AM »

WEll the internet cant be regulated by the FCC , for now...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/195773/fccs_broadband_regulation_push_pros_and_cons.html

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »

As you can see, what he basically says is that music and video games have become threat (distraction) against/from true information (government's policy).
I think it's quite obvious and easy logic that politicians who are trying to advance their agenda don't like when other people get to say their agenda so freely to big masses.

I think Obama is less in this category than others, considering the 8 years that preceded his arrival.  But I understand your point and don't disagree.  However, I think there is also another agenda playing out here which is demonstrably a key interest in the more liberal of the politicos: dissolving the digital divide, or at least reducing it.  To that end you'll notice he's targeting expensive, proprietary information radiators and popular tech which serves to exalt its own interests for dollars over any genuine contributions to the infosphere.  Distractions.

Obama's track record for encouraging and approving open source initiatives within his administration is revealing as well 

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »

I think Obama is less in this category than others, considering the 8 years that preceded his arrival.  But I understand your point and don't disagree.  However, I think there is also another agenda playing out here which is demonstrably a key interest in the more liberal of the politicos: dissolving the digital divide, or at least reducing it.  To that end you'll notice he's targeting expensive, proprietary information radiators and popular tech which serves to exalt its own interests for dollars over any genuine contributions to the infosphere.  Distractions.

Obama's track record for encouraging and approving open source initiatives within his administration is revealing as well 
Yeah I do agree that Obama has been playing it much more open than that dumb cock before him. But I also don't believe for a second that he has any other choice than playing it more openly. We have crossed certain levels on internet usage and flow of information is truly almost impossible to control in internet. So by making already public data digitally available can be spinned to awesome public distraction but don't think for a second that any government shares anything more openly they haven't shared before. Making public data available in digital form also benefits government because when they ppen the data for people, people will find new ways to use it and government gets free labor.

The smoke screen of openness blurs the judgement of ignorants.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »

>The smoke screen of openness blurs the judgement of ignorants.

Yet the openly closed removes all doubt.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »

Seriously? Trying to equate an iPad to an XBox and playstation?

Stupid.

Now I'll grant that the information Google presents over Chrome on Android has GOT to be more reliable than when it's presented over Safari on a 'pad, but this is really stupid.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 05:58:40 AM »

Yes, he's equating trendy toys to trendy toys.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:37 AM »

Yes, he's equating trendy toys to trendy toys.

Ouch!  ROFLMAO 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:55:30 AM »

Roll Eyes

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:04 AM »

In all seriousness, that you think it's inappropriate to compare PS3s and XBOX 360s to iPads shows how little you actually know about XBOXs and PS3s, not how much you know about iPads. All my close friends own an XBOX360 and several a PS3 as well. I can't remember the last time any of us played a game on them, but we use them literally every single day.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 09:40:15 AM »

Fair enough. I do not have enough knowledge of the XBox or Playstation to comment, except with what I watch my children to with them (we have both). I do think it is fair to say that, outside of Obama, the perception of an XBox or Playstation to the general community is probably different than an iPad.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 12:01:10 PM »

Totally man.

But mine's the center of my digital entertainment world, for all intents and purposes. I don't currently make much use of it for "serious stuff", but let me put it this way: An XBOX360 or PS3 is to the set-top box what the iPad is to the computer. Neither one makes its counterpart "obsolete", but they both move us in the same direction; towards simplicity, ease-of-use, a limited featureset that covers what over 99% of users require.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript