The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:11:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nokia Launches New Assault in Patent Battle, Your Move Apple  (Read 1280 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:17:46 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/blogs/bizfeed/185576/nokia_launches_new_assault_in_patent_battle_your_move_apple.html?tk=rss_news

If Apple was expecting Nokia to back down and retract its patent lawsuit after Apple countersued, apparently Nokia didn't get the memo. Nokia has launched a fresh assault, filing a new complaint with the United States International Trade Commission (ITC) alleging that virtually every product Apple makes violates seven patents held by it.

Shocked

While Nokia is the leader in mobile phone and smartphone market share globally, it has struggled and continue to lose market share--much of which is being picked up by Apple's iPhone. The initial challenge from Nokia was seen by many as an attempt to try and squash competition from the iPhone and cash in on its popularity by trying to get Apple to pay royalties for use of the technologies in question.

However, here comes the reasoned glass of IP punch that most everyone gulps down without daring to question the legitimacy of its assertions.  Comments, quotes and barf balls are mine of course:

If Apple is, in "fact," infringing on Nokia patents, Nokia certainly has a "right" to compensation (), though. Nokia "claims" to have invested nearly $90 billion () over the past 20 years on research and development for these and other patented technologies, and other companies--Apple included--should not be able to ride on Nokia's research and development without "fair" compensation. Vomit

Perhaps it will take the defenders of Apple to joust their way through our corrupt IP practices and slay this beast that creates nothing for the world and does everything for its own quest for domination.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »

It's actually kind of amazing. Nokia claims that they have a patent on the notion that a phone can connect to both cell and 3G network. Another one is the ability to connect to an unnamed WiFi network.

According to Businessweek, Apple, like all carriers, adheres to the publicly available open spec for such operations. Nokia says, "yeah, well just because they're doing that doesn't me we shouldn't get paid for use of it all."

There's a lot of smoke here because of the two names involved... but several people I've read think that the patents are not worth nearly as much as would be publicly believed, and may be an opening negotiation move in an attempt by Nokia to gain access to some of Apple's technology.

(Hmmm... Kind of like when Neytiri tells Jake that he will be "joined" with only one Toruk (or WTFever the flying things were) for life ... Jake asks how he'll know they are about to be joined - Neytiri tells him, "It'll try to kill you.")

Agree ITTO - perhaps this is just what the entire patent spaghetti needs ... a couple really deep-pocketed vested interests to go to war.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript