The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 02:10:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No recession at the Apple store...  (Read 2811 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2009, 03:19:09 PM »

Check out a way-too-boastful-for-my-tastes Jobs here, uncharacteristically out front of the reality distortion field:

http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-laughs-at-recession-sells-record-numbers-of-macs-ipods-and-iphones/19035

Good for them, but better for me: AAPL is up over $15 in after hours trading. 

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM »

Better data here:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/19/notes_of_interest_from_apples_q4_2009_quarterly_conference_call.html

it's expensive again, but some analysts are calling for as "little" as $220 for a target but some as high as $265 and one well over $300. Might be worth a bit of a look if you've got some craps money...

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »

LOL - 7 billion in "Mac" sales and 6.4 million in software, service and other sales.  Hmmm... wonder why they don't sell their software separately  Roll Eyes  That's the real answer - has zilch to do with maximizing the user experience IMO.  Forcing overpriced hardware on the public to get the crown of user-friendly OS experience.

Monopo........ behavior? 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:16:30 PM »

I've heard ancient 45s that have been sitting in an attic for 10 years that don't skip as badly as you do  ROFLMAO

So: If you build something really great, and people really want it, and you maximize your profit from it, you're a monopoly? Or just assholes? "Forcing overpriced hardware on the public..." ? you've GOT to be freakin' kidding me. When was the last time you saw ANYONE with a gun to the head of a potential customer and say, "Buy a Mac... OR ELSE!" ? ? ?

I think you've blown completely off your rocker. Dood, I mean really - aren't you actually involved in that evil, subdermal malevolence called, "business" as well?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »

This is the kind of reason why sales are so strong: people are willing to pay for something that works:

ChangeWave reported that 81 percent its 4,600 survey participants had ranked Leopard as "very satisfied," compared to only 51-53 percent of Windows XP users or 15-27% of Windows Vista. The satisfaction survey targeted the preinstalled operating system of users who had bought a new computer within the last 90 days.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 12:00:17 AM »

I've heard ancient 45s that have been sitting in an attic for 10 years that don't skip as badly as you do  ROFLMAO

Facts are stubborn things Grin

So: If you build something really great, and people really want it, and you maximize your profit from it, you're a monopoly? Or just assholes? "Forcing overpriced hardware on the public..." ? you've GOT to be freakin' kidding me. When was the last time you saw ANYONE with a gun to the head of a potential customer and say, "Buy a Mac... OR ELSE!" ? ? ?

I can't remember a single instance of monopolistic behavior that involved a gun or even a "gun" to anyone's head, sir Off Your Rocker  ROFLMAO  Monopolistic behavior doesn't involve guns or "guns."  It involves control over goods and services that may lack certain dimensions of fair competition.  It's so much more gray than you often describe it.  Perhaps it's the same kind of misunderstanding we had with "free software" since I believe you're referring to extortion not anti-competitive or monopolistic behavior ROFLMAO

You know me and when the available facts point to certain truths in my view, have you ever known me to refrain from expressing things as I see them - especially when in a forum designed to foster this kind of dialog?

That's why I've got nothing but Roll Eyes at the notion of binding OS X to the hardware as a result of anything other than profits.  It deserves a good Roll Eyes IMO.  I could be totally wrong, but it is how I truthfully see it, and I'd lose no sense of pride or anything at all to be completely wrong about it!  Nerd

7 billion in "Mac" sales deserves another Roll Eyes  It's just business - dood Smiley  I understand that but I'll pass on the blue pill with dinner ROFLMAO  The king still has no clothes Smooch

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:03:43 AM »

This thread is nothing more than Roll Eyes ROFLMAO Roll Eyes Applause

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »

@ foster dialogue - of course meng. That's what it's here for.

@ facts: well, there we have a different opinion of fact.

Consider: there are two products in the market. One is cool, the other is not. Everyone likes to purchase the cool one, not as many purchase the uncool one. Or maybe even the uncool was has way bigger sales than the cool one, it really doesn't matter. Cool one does not want to let its secret sauce out because the very reason it is profitable is its secret sauce.

I don't see how the Cool One has a monopoly.

What my experience of your argument is, is that because you want OS-X your way, it's monopolistic behavior that you can't have it. I'm not being snide or sarcastic here, I really don't understand this. Or perhaps it's monopolistic behavior that because you want it, and another company wants to sell it, and Apple stops all of that, it's monopolistic. I just don't get it. Are you saying that you see no sanctity in brand? You've commented that you think patents are wrong as well - so you're saying that intellectual property no longer is "ownable" and that all things should be available to all people? Why is that right? And how would a conversion to a sort of intellectual egalitarian utopia foster creativity? "If I work really hard on this invention, perhaps even for years or the majority of my life, I get to present it to the whole world and instantly, a Chinese company can come along, take my work and sell if for less than I do - I have no ability to get compensated for my work...?

Honestly, I just don't understand your argument. I can't even grok enough of it to step over the line yet.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »

And how would a conversion to a sort of intellectual egalitarian utopia foster creativity?

Open source is a fine example.  Free software reaffirms this revolutionary way of thinking: http://www.fsf.org/about/what-is-free-software

I know perfectly well that it's not as popular and definitely a new way of conducting business.  But it does in fact work, so well that the giants of past business modalities are scrambling to catch up

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »

Cool one does not want to let its secret sauce out because the very reason it is profitable is its secret sauce.

The cool one does not want to let its secret sauce out because the secret is there is no secret sauce  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
ehlo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 07:48:09 AM »

The cool one does not want to let its secret sauce out because the secret is there is no secret sauce

Applause  ROFLMAO
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 08:26:12 AM »

Cool one does not want to let its secret sauce out because the very reason it is profitable is its secret sauce.

The cool one does not want to let its secret sauce out because the secret is there is no secret sauce  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

OMFG  ROFLMAO  Nice.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript