The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:33:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no native wget in OS-X ... here's a precompiled & ready one for you  (Read 2894 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2009, 01:59:13 PM »

Couldn't believe when I didn't find wget in my path. Never needed it before, today I do.

This guy compiled it correctly for OS-X and it's available as a binary for older OS-X versions as well as current. Just downloaded it and it works perfectly for 10.6 also.

Here you go: http://www.statusq.org/archives/2008/07/30/1954/

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 11:28:23 PM »

How about the software in apt-get's repository? Is it Mac ready or does it need some special tricks, maneuvers and hacking?

I have been only using apt-get in my Ubuntu so never tried the Mac version.

*edit* Jeez, take a look what I just wrote... this thread was about wget and I started to write about apt-get... I think I really need some sleep...

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
cdc
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 07:24:11 AM »

Not sure what you're doing, but I find using httrack is better than wget.

http://www.httrack.com/

The main benefit is that it is a true "website/webpage copier" so it will download the source and all images used in the page with:

httrack http://www.example.com

I've used both the Linux (command line) and Win (GUI) versions, and the Win version is a PIA. If the OSX version is like the Win version (a GUI instead of command line) then it probably isn't worth it.

Will code for food.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:09:13 AM »

Actually pretty simplistic C - I use wget for pulling a list of files from an apache server and then use it to FTP download them from out in the world to my home. wget is really stable and easy for me, and since I really don't need much else I haven't looked around.

And that said, wget is actually pretty damn powerful ... you could actually create a one-line command to scape an entire site, graphics and all. It's a pretty solid app. Just like what you've mentioned about httrack.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript