The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:15:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no folder merge on OSX? Really? Seriously? WTF  (Read 2690 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »

Having made a leap to mac, for a couple reasons, I was not expecting some basic OS level intelligence to be missing. Especially since the hardware is always so awesome.

However. i just discovered a brain baffling doozy.

no folder merge.
The fuck you say? The fuck I say!

they have file merge, which is the files in a single folder. But if you need a folder tree merged, keeping newer files from each, you cannot. Wow, really? come on!!!??

So, for those of you who find yourself in a situation needing to do what should be a simple drag and drop task, there is this app
http://code.google.com/p/foldermerge/

This is at least under OSx Lion 10.7.3

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:52:59 PM »

oh, and the fact that I can't delete a file by pressing the delete key. ugh.  D'oh!

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »

@ Folder Merge - I've honestly never thought of doing that. I am unamazed because that's a rather eclectic procedure.

Good find though, I'll remember that in the future. Have a need for a couple things like that now in the last pieces of the switch from iDisk to Dropbox.

Personally I like that I can't hit delete and dump a file. I'd be an idiot and do it way too often.

Tongue  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »

really? I have need of folder merging all the time. Often client crap, but even my own stuff.

Found out how to delete by keystroke. command-backspace. Gonna have to remap that...
It sends it to the trash, so no worries on accidental horror. Plus, i got time machine AND crashplan backing up real time.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »

LOL I unfortunately have a tic (like CTRL-S) where if I see trash I just go delete it. Hate it sitting in the bin.
It's, like, a really stupid behavior, but it makes sure I don't delete something unless I REALLY want it gone.

And yeah, time machine is brilliant to recover from my usual quick fingered stupidity.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript