The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:06:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Next iPhone, what's actually left?  (Read 1995 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:48:38 PM »

So I was just thinking, what's left to put into a phone?

Sure they can improve things, increase, and add more of, but what's actually missing that would get people to buy the next one?

It's got both cams. Razor sharp screen. Gps, gyro, magnetometer, tilt. I can't think of another sensor to put in it, can you?

Other than design changes, or making existing technicals better like camera quality or battery life, I can only think of one thing.

Wireless charging.

Whatchu think?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:44:38 PM »

Haptic surface, nanosensors, bending to different shapes like from normal phone to a wrist band, etc. Just check concept video of Nokia Morph in YouTube to get the picture.

Once nanotechnology really hits the scene, the shit that's coming out will blow you all away

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:00:07 PM »

All that shit is still scifi though. At least when it comes consumer junk.

Possibly haptics, but very doubtful.
Bending. Sounds cool, but doubt it is. I think it would be annoying actually. But still a few years off until viable from a production point I think.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:32:00 AM »

All that shit is still scifi though. At least when it comes consumer junk.

Possibly haptics, but very doubtful.
Bending. Sounds cool, but doubt it is. I think it would be annoying actually. But still a few years off until viable from a production point I think.
I agree but you asked what's left to put into a phone Wink

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 02:12:16 AM »

Make an MP3 player that slightly sucks shit less.
With OS4 undate u can edit the play lists on the phone itself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:19:01 AM »

True. I meant next though.

Dunno nop. I actually never have used the iPod app. Rofl

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »

There's far too much already.  It's not what's left to put into a phone, but rather what ways can your phone become less of a ball-and-chain.  Just because you choose to carry it around all the time and choose to pay monthly fees for it regardless of if you use it or not, it doesn't mean that it should be this way  Smiley

The key differentiators I believe we will see have to do with competing at the contract/service level, not simply trying endlessly to cram more ridiculous amounts of features into a small space.  It's already getting challenging to dramatically differentiate anything in this space.  Aside from n+ megapixels, n+ memory, n+ battery life, n+ bandwidth, n+ etc. etc., there's really nothing novel that we've seen for many years.  A touchscreen?  Yawn at best and boo for those who prefer the tactile feel of buttons, pads, trackballs and keys. 

But it's a great question you pose since the world seems unable to imagine a concept of added value that doesn't directly involve added or expanded features.  Maybe someday there will be no Logitech Harmony Remotes, no garage door openers, no library cards to scan, no credit cards to swipe for purchases, no autonomous sprinkler system, etc. and instead all of these functions and more will be commanded from our smart-mobile devices of choice.  Bringing more and more pre-packaged and easily configured tools will probably continue to evolve, much like software in general.

But I think those businesses who cling to the cheap-entry, expensive long term commitment contract approach will find themselves losing a battle with Darwin or experiencing "random" mutation for survival 

All we really want from AT&T are reasonable rates and good service.  iPhone/iPad users expect to pay more for everything tech and expect great service to match: reliable and as fast as possible.  I'd bet if you reduced 20%-50% of the features in the iPhone yet truly provided blistering fast data speeds, crystal clear calls that never drop, from anywhere "reasonable" you would expect this to be the case, that the market would shift.  I believe the discussion will eventually shift to the real and numerous aspects of value from the consumer's perspective, and I believe the market will eventually follow.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 03:03:19 PM »

I think you pose some interesting points, ITTO.

An intereresting analogue to your assertion that people cannot see the diffence between more features and more value, is how the music industry continued to push for more fidelity, yet consumers wanted more convenience. Clearly, based on results, people are more excited about taking all their content with them (or 100% uptime service) than they are another, more broad dynamic range audio format (natch, the quick and spectacular death of high fidelity / "HD" audio CDs).

I agree with the vast majority of your assertions and opinions here, with the minor exception that COMPANIES will experience Darwinian theory first hand as opposed to sevice plans suffing that fate. I think that most of them know what's coming, and probably already have complete battle plans drawn and prepared for deployment, as soon as Phone Plan Rage reaches an uningnorable cacophony. Which in many ways makes them not having gone already even more insulting.

Probably the thing about your post that lands the most for me is the notion of the single God device ... Perhaps a tiny device that I can hear and can hear me, and all interactions with remoteable devices executed by voice command. Why should a "phone call" be really any different? It's packets. Thats all.

But to address the initial question, I don't think there will be more and more on the phone, I think the phone-factor device will become the DAC for our lives ... Converting our utterly analogue existence to the digital world. Phone as we know it will fade away in favor of new communications mechanisms and paradigms, the device slowly shrinking to a brain implant.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:13:19 PM »

>brain implant.

ROFLMAO  They sure as hell better avoid vendor lock-in with that one Wink  Bummer, no signal at my home it turns out, no cash left to change plans, skull is closed up after surgery and I got three years left on this contract   Angry

...and that's when they go postal 

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript