The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 05:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Kalyway Install  (Read 4078 times)
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2008, 10:06:07 AM »

Ok so ive bitten the bullet and decided to dl and try out kalyway on an intel based machine.

Install went great, everything seems to work nicely.

As with all OS's you never know what the best applications are for doing various things until youve spent a considerable amount of time f**king around trying them all.

So far I can only think of FTP software, but im sure there'll be other apps ill need too.

Can anyone give me a heads up on the best apps to use for various things?

Perk?

Edit: sorry forgot to add for those that dont know what kalyway is its OSX (leopard 10.5) for machines that typically run windoze.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:32:12 AM »

Well, lemmee see.

• For FTP I use Transmit - it works great.
  • For editing I use BBEdit - but that costs $99, so you'll want to start with TextWrangler which is the free version of BBEdit. It's all you'll need for an editor.
  • You'll want Handbrake for ripping videos, MacTheRipper for cracking if them if need be. Important note: the public version of MTR won't do much for you. MAke a donation and they'll send you the real thing, which does what you would be looking for Wink
  • I don't know what comes with the Kalyway install, so you'll definitely want the basics: iChat, mail, AddressBook, iCal, iTunes etc.
  • There are pre-compiled versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL, but I prefer to compile them myself. They will all work just fine.
  • Personally I like The Notebook from Circus Ponies - it's a great way to hang onto lots and lots of fragmented data. Excellent 'ware.
  • You'll use the hell out of terminal, that's for sure - but that should come with Leopard in the Applications/Utilities dir. What doesn't come with an stock install is GCC and all of the parts you need to compile new wares. So download and install the Developers Package from Apple - that'll have XCode and everything you need to make a complete mess of your box  ROFLMAO

I think that'd about do ya. Some other interesting items are things like Wiretap for audio conversion (I use that like crazy as well) - then we move into f'reals programs that I own and use, like Office, the Adobe suite, the Flash suite, Quickbooks etc etc.

Oh, and you'll probably want to purchase Parallels so that you can run a virtual instance of Windows on a machine running OS-X under Windows. That'd be handy  Roll Eyes  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 06:44:50 PM »

Thanks mate, much appreciated..

Obviously, having been a windoze user all these years but having mind of hating ms products I use alternatives to most anyway.
So ive installed Thunderbird, Firefox, Open Office.

Kalyway does come with a fair amount already there,
iChat, Mail, Addressbook, iCal, ITunes, Stuffit, Textedit, Transmission(torrents), Google notifier,BetterZip and others.

So far for productivity, ive been pretty blessed, CS3 Works marvellously, as does PainterX and just installed Oo so we'll see how that runs out of the box.

I wont need an apache,php,mysql as I run a freebsd dev server here anywho. And also no need to run a virtual windoze either as I have another machine which is still my primary for browser compatability issues and general stuff that Im used to just doing on an ms machine.

Awesome.. Just found that Filezilla has an Intel mac version Woot!!
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:10:10 AM »

Oh, and you'll probably want to purchase Parallels so that you can run a virtual instance of Windows on a machine running OS-X under Windows. That'd be handy  Roll Eyes  ROFLMAO

Sounds like he is running OSX native. Not within another OS. It's much much harder to get Kalyway's DVD to install on a VM than on an actual machine with Intel hardware.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:04:39 AM »

Indeed, I was just playing

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:10:50 AM »

i just tried to install it on my sony laptop. no joy. Says its not a valid install.  Roll Eyes

I might try again in the future, but needed to reinstall, and figured I would try before I did it.

in case your wondering why a sony laptop...
http://braindonkey.com/blog/article/micro_helicopter_toy_ball_of_fire_laptop_destroyed/

woot.com, who i bought the helo from, replaced my laptop with a pretty kick ass sony. It's freaking huge though... lol

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
mampy
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:54:46 PM »

Garage band is pretty fun to play with if your a frustrated wanna be rockstar like me... Cheesy

There are pre-compiled versions of Apache, PHP and MySQL, but I prefer to compile them myself. They will all work just fine.

Im still working with http://www.mamp.info/en/download.html its solid as a rock.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript