The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:31:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New iPhone Leaked?  (Read 4869 times)
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:03 AM »

http://gizmodo.com/5520164/this-is-apples-next-iphone

Seems like it. I was skeptical at first but details have been forthcoming throughout the day and apparently the phone belongs to a developer at Apple who works with the radio stack somehow (I assume the driver for it).

http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:43:40 AM »

Yeah Ive been watching that one as well. seems like Apple confirmed that it's the real thing by asking for it back lol ... Well, i guess the question of a front facing camera with video chat is resolved Smiley

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:08:14 AM »

they made sure everyone saw it...
....a little black magic goes a long way.. hahaha  free buzz.....

the way i see it , its like when the girls get those new thongs and
they just keep dropping shit all over the place so they can
bend over in front of everyone and get whale tail validation..

* whaletail.PNG (28.3 KB, 134x88 - viewed 198 times.)

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »

Engadget showed themselves to be complete and utter tools with this whole debacle, imo.  From paying $5,000 for what was obviously lost or stolen property, to publicizing all of the personal information on the poor guy who apparently lost the phone, they showed themselves to have the ethics of, well, no ethics at all.

I don't want information on forthcoming products so desperately that I'm willing to see some poor guy's career destroyed for it.  Yes, the schmuck left the phone behind.  But it was everything that happened subsequently that was really sad.

Hope they prosecute somebody for receiving stolen property.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »

I think visually it's turn for worse. Now it's just like every other Nokia phone out there. Round shapes and the whole feel of iPhone made it special but that's just like every other phone out there. I really hope that's not it Sad

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:53:20 AM »

I don't want information on forthcoming products so desperately that I'm willing to see some poor guy's career destroyed for it.  Yes, the schmuck left the phone behind.  But it was everything that happened subsequently that was really sad.

Hope they prosecute somebody for receiving stolen property.
Spot on man. Giz == Enquirer, but fewer stars and crotch shots. The FERVOR that's been up about this is pretty disgusting, but it's fair to say that Apple has created it with their double extra secret prohibition Wink of any information dissemination. I like a good info leak and tease of what's to come just like anyone else ... but this is so far over the top it's ridiculous.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:54:26 AM »

I think visually it's turn for worse. Now it's just like every other Nokia phone out there. Round shapes and the whole feel of iPhone made it special but that's just like every other phone out there. I really hope that's not it Sad
Have to get hands on it to see if the new form makes sense. I doubt Johnny Ive would put something out there that sucked, but no one bats 1000 all the time ... Wink

Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:07:33 AM »

If they were smart they would implement a 'oops i left my iphone behind somewhere' feature
that would instantly lock it and track it down.  ... guarding those personal pics...etc

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 12:33:45 PM »

They did (according to the story) brick the phone before it could even be toyed with ... And if you have Find My Phone turned off then they wont be able to track it. Privacy thing and all ... But ill bet there is an FBI overide somewhere...

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 02:10:57 PM »

they made sure everyone saw it...
....a little black magic goes a long way.. hahaha  free buzz.....

the way i see it , its like when the girls get those new thongs and
they just keep dropping shit all over the place so they can
bend over in front of everyone and get whale tail validation..

With Apple's track record, I would be shocked and astonished if this were merely a marketing ploy. It looks nothing at all like them.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »

The fact that Apple is so secretive about their upcoming products is lame enough.  Most everyone else goes too far in the opposite direction by giving "sneak previews" of vaporware.  But Apple has about as much right to prevent some overworked, engineer birthday boy from forgetting his prototype at the bar as Microsoft has in insisting that any new thoughts or creative ideas that manifested on their campus legally belong to them  Roll Eyes

This is business FFS, not national security.  I sympathize with this unfortunate young man who now will probably lose his job at Apple.  However, to make this a problem of our free press and not Apple's twisted product secrecy practices, is giving the real source of the problem a hell of a pass, imho. 

Everybody please pull your heads out of your Apple asses and have some compassion for this guy.  And hey Apple, don't give the man a phone to beta test for you unless you're willing to risk exposure of same  Police

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »

This is business FFS, not national security.  I sympathize with this unfortunate young man who now will probably lose his job at Apple.  However, to make this a problem of our free press and not Apple's twisted product secrecy practices, is giving the real source of the problem a hell of a pass, imho.
Disagree. The stakes in that industry could not be higher, and Apple has eveey right to demand any sort of privacy (specific to Apple products) from their employees that they want to. All indications are that the guy has not nor will he lose his job, which is a very good thing. I don't find Apples secrecy practices twisted at all ... I find them unsurprising and frankly what all companies wish they could do. The astonishing part is that Apple actually pulls that shit off, where most companies can't keep it in their pants. And yes, I find the press' fascination to the point of being willing to fuck up a young engineers life absolutely despicable.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »

And yes, I find the press' fascination to the point of being willing to fuck up a young engineers life absolutely despicable.

Spoken like a true neocon  ROFLMAO

This "fascination" that the press has is their reason for existence.  We demand this and count on it - even when it's uncomfortable in certain circumstances such as when they make life harder for something you personally want hidden from the public eye.  Sorry but you can't have your cake and eat it too (love that one Wink).  Anything that would stand in their way of doing their job, their critical role that makes a democracy possible, is more suspect than their overzealous search for stories.  Apple creates these breaking tech-story chasers with their approach to product secrecy.  Results like these should be expected 

Besides, Apple's monster marketing machine is fueled by the free press postulating the "magic" possibilities hidden within their shroud of mystery.  Apple really digs these guys, and for really good reasons.  This latest slip is nothing but fantastic for Apple, even if it appears to be complete unscripted 

EDIT: The neocon remark was a joke Wink

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 09:49:36 PM »

The problem is that we changed from listening hard to Walter Cronkite, news we needed to know and real opinions on real things, to fascination with what features the new iphone features will be and who's winning on dancing with the stars. Not much of the current "press" actually contributes to our democracy, they simply shout what sells. Loudly. Really you want to say that this is a hard, uncomfortable piece of news that we really need to be aware of? The exposition of seedy details has become more important than real investigative journalism. Thats all I'm saying here.

I say let's get fascinated with why our boys and girls a still in Iraq, Afghanistan, why BofA is fleecing the US public both via tax dollars AND pirate corporate philosophy and actions. The press no longer exists because we are fascinated ... They exist because marketing firms will pay to KEEP us fascinated ... So long as we keep buying their products.

I read Mother Jones man, please don't assume to lecture me on the benefits of a free press. Same time, while I'm 100% anti-corporate personhood, the notion that Apple is twisted simply because they pull secrecy off that is the stuff of corporate legend is nonsense.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 10:43:34 PM »

The fact that Apple is so secretive about their upcoming products is lame enough.  Most everyone else goes too far in the opposite direction by giving "sneak previews" of vaporware.
Actually that's one of the reasons why Apple's product launches are so effective. They also have the power of instant gratification because you can buy the product right after Steve's performance. They have been slipping away from instant gratification lately which I greatly wonder because it used to generate A LOT of positive buzz with every product they launched that way. With sneak previews and other press release crap you get what happened with iPad. A lot of speculative negative talk because nobody actually has the device and they are disguising their opinion and guesses as facts.

So it's all about marketing style. One style I just can't understand is to release a press release and that's it. It's just beyond comprehension how somebody could be that uninterested about their own product. At minimum you should be trying to offer sneak previews and other every day product launch tactics. Oh and of course your product should be awesome Wink

The stakes in that industry could not be higher, and Apple has eveey right to demand any sort of privacy (specific to Apple products) from their employees that they want to.
I agree. The current way corporations are constructed gives them every right to demand any sort of privacy. This won't be so in the future but right now it is. I have never understood why some people complain how their employer is doing this and that. Just quit, nobody's stopping you. You are working there voluntarily and if you don't like what the employer is doing or asking you to do, just quit. Nowadays instead of quiting people feel that employer is somehow responsible to bend for employee. It just doesn't work that way. Like for example now because Island buffed all that ash in the air, no planes are flying here at Europe. Now there's been some talk that should travel agencies compensate their customers for this. I mean what the fuck. Some completely unexpected natural event happens and now suddently you are becoming a cash cow. Now that's some fucked up shit. If they actually force the traveling agencies to pay, I won't blame them for closing the shop alltogether. Who wants to offer traveling in this kind of country where that type of ridiculous shit is possible?

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript