The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 01:45:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New iPhone?  (Read 3390 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »

So tomorrow is WWDC, and the rumor mill is going apeshit.

So what will it take for you to head out to get a new v2 iPhone, if you already have v1. This is of course speculative of if there even is a new phone, or just v2 software.

of the new features the rumor mill is spewing, the main ones of interest are:
GPS
front video cam for video conferencing
longer battery life

there are plenty of others, but just curious what it would take for you to upgrade. (mostly aimed at perk..)

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 08:14:10 PM »

For me to upgrade I would need:

1) Faster wireless data access, e.g. broadband speeds or I'm not interested.
2) A native SSH/VNC client built right in to the phone.

That would pretty much satisfy any needs I have.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 09:26:53 PM »

Apeshit is right... there are pictures of the mysterious boxes at stores all over the world, talk and some photos of red and black iPhones etc etc.

To answer you directly NBs - they can't do anything for a couple months. I'm on a personal spending moratorium that will last for 2-3 months probably. PROVIDED that 2.0 software runs OK on my existing phone.

It looks as though GPS and 3G will be available - talk of 32G, slimmer and better battery life which is all plus, but nothing compelling in that enough for me to drop everything and go get another just yet. This is prior to hearing what Apple has to offer or course ... but it'll have to be something pretty damn spectacular for me to consider spending on it right away.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »

yea im in the same boat. I probably will have to wait, since the only thing really that would be different, that I would use, would be the GPS. and frankly i can live without that with how little I go out to new places. faster data, meh for now. front cam for video calling, meh i dont want to look at the person I am talking to on the phone unless they show me boobs. color, lol, who cares. bigger battery, hmmm, maybe.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 10:41:45 PM »

Personally I just want to see what's been happening with the SDK. I feel like that's the big chubby - that'll breathe huge life into the existing box IMO.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

OK, so as we thought: GPS, cheaper, SDK and 3G

/yawn/

The rumor mills were right on the dot with this one. I was watching the Keynote from the MacRumors live feed at the doctors office on my phone... I kept waiting for Steve to come back on stage with, "Oh there's just one more thing."

Ah well. I am *really* looking forward to the deployment of the AppStore - that will just do incredible things for the phone IMO.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 02:31:40 PM »

OK, so in going over all the stuff from today I was suddenly struck by the significance of Apple's purchase of me.com and the move from .Mac to mobile.me and the suite of apps that is available - essentially, "Exchange for the rest of us" - it looks like a solve for a *bunch* of problems for me and some clients... anyone else have thoughts? It was not the highlight because everyone wanted to see MonkeyBall on the iPhone, but I think this may actually be a pretty significant development

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 08:27:41 PM »

i think that the enterprise features just made RIM shit its pants. remote wipe, cisco VPN with most of the biggest security protocols.
WPA, yeay.

Loopt... FUCKERS!! lol, perk, you might remember our brief conversation about something like this.

The AP app is actually interesting, though very simple on the surface, the idea of it being a multidirectional new reader/source app is really forward thinking of AP.

the band thing is pretty cool. stupid but impressive.

mimvista... holy shit. um perk, medical... radiology... im sure your head exploded...

push notification is a decent solution to the background process issue, but still not ideal i think.

iwork docs, and office docs... awesome. smart move, required for enterprise. beats the blackberry.

scientific calc, yeay.

chinese character recognition, woah.

enterprise apps, requiring itunes? hmm not gonna fly in most it environments.

adhoc distribution is kind of interesting idea. up to 100 phones.

mobile me. i would possibly switch, but my folks are liking gmail a lot. and for me thats an issue, cause they have emails on my domain. I also didnt notice if they allow for custom domains? Though it is a hell of alot prettier than google apps.

cheep

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 08:31:53 PM »

Loopt... FUCKERS!! lol, perk, you might remember our brief conversation about something like this.
I do... think there's still time to beat em?  ROFLMAO

enterprise apps, requiring itunes? hmm not gonna fly in most it environments.
They dont need to... enterprise users can enable <their own users> to get <their own apps> w/o iTunes... don't have the details but it came through on one of the specs I received today

Gonna be interesting in a month...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript