The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 11:46:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New iPad  (Read 6086 times)
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:30:24 AM »

I hear crickets chirping around here.  Seems like nobody posting but the bots lately.  So I'm chiming in from vacation in Phuket to ask for thoughts on the new iPad.

First off, the name is an interesting choice, because by simply calling the device iPad, rather than iPad 3, iPad HD, or any of the other monikers that have been bandied about, Apple seems to signal that they will continue to evolve the device without, perhaps, radical changes to industrial design.  It's a similar strategy to the Mac products, where there are frequent updates but no change to product name (a la "12" MacBook Air (Early 2012)"

Since they're still selling the iPad 2, it's a little weird that the iPad 2 is now the low end product while iPad is high end, lol...

I should probably admit here that I did order a "new" iPad today.  I'm still using the original iPad and have been yearning for a faster CPU and more operating memory, both of which the new iPad seems to deliver. Those are my main reasons for upgrading.

The new retina display is a "nice to have" feature to me, but not a compelling reason to upgrade.  Perhaps I'll feel differently when I use it.  The LTE support is great, but I am not sure what AT&T is charging for the service so perhaps I should reserve judgment.  I'm disappointed that they didn't include support for Siri -- although there are some Siri abilities that wouldn't make sense on the iPad, there are many that would have been useful and it seems a little weird that Apple would force users to use a different UI on the phone and iPad.  I don't think there'd have been any significant cost to support Siri, so my question is, "Why not?"

The other stuff announced today was a bit ho-hum for me. Doubt I'd use iPhoto on iPad, though maybe.  Don't use GarageBand though it's definitely cool. New AppleTV - finally with 1080P - is great, but I rarely have time to watch downloaded content so it doesn't excite me much.

So for me, the new iPad is evolutionary, not revolutionary, and if I had iPad 2, there's no way I'd upgrade.  From e original iPad, there's enough there to compel me to do it.  But I'm sure that Perks will chime in with his thoughts, which may be different than mine.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »

name actually is bringing it back to brand. The numbering conventions were a deviation from their brand. Just like you said. And agreed that the oddness of ipad 2 being lower end from ipad. weird.

My sole reason for ordering the new one is retina. I can't read on my pad anymore because of the resolution. I can see the pixels, and my brain decided about 3 months ago, that I shouldn't see them. So it blurs by vision. But then my brain says, "wtf?! everything is blurry, Must make clear!" and then I see the dots again. It cycles in and out and gives me a headache in a few minutes.

better camera is a bonus. I made fun of the camera on the ipad2 when it was announced, but i have to eat crow on that. I take a lot of pictures with it. laying around, playing on pad, my kid is being cute, and I subtly switch to camera and aim at her. She doesn't start hamming it up, because she doesnt know im filming her. Also, works well in coffee shops to zoom in on hot chicks boobs.

ram and cpu. always want faster.

My guess on the lack of Siri is that they are still working on the iPad specific implementation of it.

Also ordered the apple tv. 1080p. YEAY. I am wondering if it will do MKV files now? no mention of it, but someone will figure out a way if not.

But yes, nothing revolutionary, just evolutionary. Which is also normal for apple. 1 revolution, followed by an evolution.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:45:51 PM »

I'm a little out of the loop, but many threads I read say there's "Siri-like functionality..." like just for dictation or something? Is this a debunked think or does nobody have hands on yet to see what it does? That's a huge thing for me.

I was totally impressed by the difference retina made on the phone, so that's a pretty compelling one for me, although not a Go Buy It all by itself. But RAM and CPU Ohfuckyeah. I'm pretty often pissed that the 'pad is no longer fast enough - I use it pretty hard as a full computer now. Odds are pretty good that I'll get into one quickly.

Bummed about the lack of really cool newness for the TV. At the very least I was hoping for the app store. And rumors were all over about native Hulu. Maybe moresacomin, but I was underwhelmed. At 99 it's still a great deal, and I use them for more than just TV, so I'll probably move my bedroom one to a music-only role and grab a new one.

Thanks for kicking up some posts btw DV8R, it has been cricketish. Been thinking its time for a blast mail to get some conversation rolling again.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 07:50:22 PM »

iPad ram and CPU. Realize it's quad core GPU. The CPU is still dual core.
Siri. My guess is a future upgrade.

appletv is obviously prepping for apps. They changed the menu system to now be the gay jelly bean crap. But it very obviously implies apps in the near future. A lot of talk about TV stations as apps.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 10:46:20 PM »

Just did the AppleTV update, man you're spot on. If that isn't a prep for have-your-own--apps I don't know what is. Jelly beans is right ... FFS it's 1080p they should at the least make the icons as purdy as a pad.

Hmmm... Tv stations as apps. I think that's like saying an artist today makes a "record." It'll be all providers ... We might even see the complete democratization of it such that "indies" can provide at the same level as ABC, CBS etc. So the John Stewart corp provides content just like large aggregators. In fact, as I think about it, this makes perfect sense as to why the networks have been pushing back so hard ... If Apple gets it their way, the networks will  instanteously be confronted with almost infinite competition. And cable providers will just as instantly become irrelevant and useless. Of course the essence of this has been in play for quite a while ... The Hulus and Boxees have been working towards this moment for a long time. But suddenly seeing apps on the AppleTV and thinking this way I've never been so struck as to how REALLY close a true cutting of the cable is.

I wonder how close, really, Apple is to getting CNN and Fox and Discovery and and and to "broadcast" on their own, through the new notion of "channels" - apps. Cause if they're close, then a TV singularity is about to happen and I think it's going to surprise a lot of people.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »

actually for stations as apps, it already exists on the ipad. cartoon network for example. but there are quite a few.
It more like a music publisher making their own app, not a single artist. You buy the app, or subscription I would assume, and you can watch any of the content on that channel. For example, HBO. You buy a subscription to HBO, not the single movies.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:44:42 AM »

actually for stations as apps, it already exists on the ipad. cartoon network for example. but there are quite a few.
There's one of two things that will have to happen for the leap: A) Networks apps are realtime or B) we let go of the notion of "Tuesday night a 9p I watch (x) ... because that's when it's showing." Many want to watch something as soon as it's out ... apps don't provide that. Looking at the jellybeans on the AppleTV, seeing the hockey and MBA channels right there makes it clear that this is where they are going. I was just totally awash last night with thoughts of a BIGGIE that we all knew was coming, but I think it's suddenly a whole fuck of a lot closer than I'd imagined.

It more like a music publisher making their own app, not a single artist. You buy the app, or subscription I would assume, and you can watch any of the content on that channel. For example, HBO. You buy a subscription to HBO, not the single movies.
Yes, agree. And on that note, many indies will not have the juice to "broadcast" realtime to a big audience, so the big players will be all about creating the bandwidth channel for the little guys to get into the stream. But I still think there'll be room for little guys to broadcast on their own ... think podcast. Why not? If BlogSpot or live365 became about (your channel) for TV like they've been for blog content or audio content, then we're right there. I'm actually surprised how big and wide open it just got for me in the last 12 hours. I guess I had let it sit in the Yeah Someday Soon pile rather than the Heads Up pile.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:35:07 PM »

appletv is obviously prepping for apps. They changed the menu system to now be the gay jelly bean crap. But it very obviously implies apps in the near future. A lot of talk about TV stations as apps.

Aren't we past the point where we need to use "gay" as a pejorative term?  It IS 2012, isn't it?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »

Although politically incorrect, I can assure you DV8R that there's no malice in Nut's heart.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 08:02:08 PM »

Your right daviator, and sorry if it offended. And as perk alluded to, I ain't the king of PC.
Ironically, I didn't actually mean it as a pejorative. Your assumption would normally have been correct, but this time I actually meant it as happy rainbow kind of gay.

You know the jelly bean iMac? The is on that thing was happy rainbow jellybean happy happy joy joy.

I have honestly been trying to stop. Especially since I don't give a single gram of fuck about someone's sexuality.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 09:17:45 AM »

Especially since I don't give a single gram of fuck about someone's sexuality.

CLASSIC  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »

Lol... I wasn't necessarily assuming malice, I know it's one of those words people (especially those of, ahem, certain generations) tends to use in certain ways without thinking, and that its use in those contexts rarely actually has anything to do with sexuality even when it's used pejoratively.  But since the listener/reader doesn't know all of that, I was just suggesting that we find better ways of expressing ourselves.  (I tried to word my comment in such a way that it would be construed as a friendly tap rather than a hammer, I hope that was the effect.)

Even I like the happy rainbow joy joy use of the word.  It's just difficult to know the difference sometimes.  ;-)

Anyway, no harm, no foul, I am not always the most PC person either, but that gets me into trouble some times, and I try to be better about it.  It's fun to be un-PC until you inadvertently really offend or hurt someone, which I've done, and so I'm more aware than perhaps I used to be of the power of words and their ability to accidentally cause harm.

Anyway... no harm, no foul in this case, and I'm glad we're all feeling happy and gay.   ROFLMAO
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 08:49:23 AM »

Bah. Don't be so gay. :p

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »

Um....  Roll Eyes

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 02:27:19 PM »

Okay, so here it is: my first post dictating into the iPad.

Thus far I'm very impressed with it, the resolution is phenomenal. The speed is considerably better than my other, and now looking back at my old iPad, I have no idea how I put up with the Anti-aliasing and pixelation that I can see now.

Dictation works as expected. I've only made one correction so far in this text, and all the things that I've learned to do with Siri apply very well here. The only unfortunate thing that I've found so far, is that dictation will not pass through into Citrix-which is what I was really looking forward to. My gut feeling though, is that Citrix will fix this up pretty quickly. It's just too much of a killer app for them not to do it. Combine that with the iPhone as a mouse pointer and you've really got powerful little device here.

So now I've made three corrections, Siri has done excellent job of capitalizing what should (like Citrix) and I'm quite satisfied. An interesting side note is that the machine, being so crisp, clear and quick, feels less like a computer even than the iPad 2. It just seems to feel even more natural.

Haven't really have the opportunity to try 4G yet… I opted to go with Verizon rather than AT&T for my data plan. Looking forward to seeing the difference. The reviews seem to say that AT&T fails downward more gracefully than Verizon, but it appears that the coverage here in Phoenix is strong enough that I should not have to deal with that very often.

Should you do it? This is very definitely an evolutionary change, not a revolutionary one. There're a great many things that I have a feeling will come out next year, having not made this cut. But it's pretty obvious that Apple spent their energy on the display. The most telling part about it is that I have not had to put on my glasses to look at the forum or do this dictation. I done the entire thing without any discomfort and have able to see things perfectly.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript