The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 12:07:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My iphone 4 signal theory  (Read 1590 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »

So... Launch day, and there are a boatload of complaints that the phone is dropping calls when held a certain way. In particular, people think it is related to holding the phone in your left hand. Thats coincidence to the position of the cellular antenna.

Actually what sounds like it happening is that the cellular antenna is on the left side of the phone. So when you hold it in your left hand up to your head, the base of your thumb rests near the bottom of the phone. At the bottom of the phone is a gap, to make the antenna the correct length required for cellular use. That gap is getting crossed by the thumb pressing against it, and skin acting as a bridge, making the antenna longer and getting involved with whatever the bottom metal part does.

Now people are wondering how is it possible that apple didnt see this happen. I know exactly how it happened...

When they test the phone for capabilities, they do it on a test bench. So the problem would not be discovered there. Of course they probably tested it out to see what happens when the gaps get bridged, but the phone still worked "ok" so they said it passed. They figured it would only happen once in a while because its not like people would be on the phone holding their finger against the gap...

Then when they moved into field testing, why did the problem never appear???

BECAUSE....

They had the phone hidden inside a fake 3gs case, so the gaps were protected from the hands using them.

Although that is a phail on their part, it is an understandable one. Phone works great on bench, phone works great out and about, therefor, its great. Im not sure any of us would have thought that the temporary case would actually IMPROVE the signal... LOL

I see free bumpers in the near future from Apple to resolve the problem....

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:51 PM »

Spot on my friend. Spoken like someone who's heard the word "should" one too many times Wink )

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 08:29:39 PM »

And the NYT's crack staff has now caught up to my genius.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/25/did-disguising-the-iphone-4-mask-a-temperamental-antenna/?src=twt&twt=nytimesbits

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:27:53 PM »

Twas a brilliant pick on your part, I thought.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 01:35:40 PM »

interestingly apple is now saying a code update will go out Monday to deal with this???

My guess is the code update should be:
>> code to make it work better
but will be
>> code to make it look like it works better.

they will probably slow down the update time on the bars...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »

It is *clearly* a problem with bridging the antennae. Based on how hard I press my thumb into the gap I can watch either minor or major changes in the "bars" available. (obviously, more pressure == less impedance) So the so-called "death grip" would create the largest amount of trouble, a light hold is not much trouble. I did not get dropped calls when I death grip, but I'd imagine some might.

The simplest fix is a little bit of tape under wear the user holds the phone, a more expensive but better is Ghost Armor which I will probably do anyway, and the easiest for Apple is free bumpers.

A drag and, IMO, TOTALLY blown out of proportion by the haters, but whatever.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript