The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 01:50:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mobile me vs. google apps  (Read 4905 times)
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:32:38 PM »

in the typical Apple behavior, mobile me looks cool and well done, but frankly the details are lacking.

can you use your own domain?
can you share calendars between users on different domains?
on the family plan, wtf... 1 regular, but then 4 others get only 5 gigs each? fine for my actually, but still wierd that you cant "set it".

google apps for domains is nice in this respect, plus its free...

however, mobile me syncs with everything iphone, google currently does not. though the rumor mill says there will be native apps on launch day.

so....

if you are the type of person who would use something like google apps or mobile me, ie, not being a paranoid delusional like perk  Roll Eyes which would you use? which would you trust more?

google is "free" but they of course sell your mind to marketing.
apple is pay, but they still could sell your mind to marketing, just not via advertising.

im mostly talking out loud. partly the mac thing feel a bit like you might get sandbagged in, and stuck. google at least has some APIs now, and eventually will be able to work with anything it seems.

just curious on thoughts.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 08:51:42 PM »

Interesting you posted this, that's like, almost verbatim the conversation that's been rolling around in my skull. I look forward to more answers - but at the moment everything is still a mess from Steve's Reality Distortion Field. Looking forward to that clearing up a bit Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 10:19:07 PM »

This was worth 10 minutes and explains a pretty fair amount.

It looks like a solid deployment of a limited, but focused feature set.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/guidedtour/

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:32:51 AM »

ok 1 win for google aps is the spam filter on gmail. im doubting mobile me will be as good.

i wonder if they will create a "small business" version with bigger space and some more business features?

DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »

In my eyes Apple have built themselves a reputation for adopting closed standards for marketing gain e.g. iTunes DRM or the poor bluetooth functionality of the iPhone; as such I wouldnt trust them with any application data that I wanted to be easily transferable in the long run.

Although I'm happy to admit I'm not that familiar with mobile me as a product, it may be great.

DM
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:56:46 AM »

In my eyes Apple have built themselves a reputation for adopting closed standards for marketing gain e.g. iTunes DRM or the poor bluetooth functionality of the iPhone; as such I wouldnt trust them with any application data that I wanted to be easily transferable in the long run.

Although I'm happy to admit I'm not that familiar with mobile me as a product, it may be great.

DM

Dood...shhhh

Do you want Perk to ban you from the forums for badmouthing Apple?

ROFLMAO (j/k Perk)

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »

Do you want Perk to ban you from the forums for badmouthing Apple?

Don't make me...

Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 11:07:26 AM »

This popular notion is much akin to the popular belief that Republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility, and "their interests are in your best interest."

Apple has made a LOT of easily avoidable and silly mistakes over the last great many years... but with their move to Unix they have become a lot more open than they ever have been. That being said, let's just imagine for half a moment that they're in business to make money and as such, this behavior makes sense.

And let's not forget that the illusion of "Windows Openness" is simply "Windows Ubiquity" - they have never been an open company and have, in fact, aggressively gone after open standards and open connections to their system and squashed them. The "Open Source" movement has, by and large, been a product of the last few years. (Not saying that Open Source is all that new, but the movement is still pretty young...) I think that Apple is joining the fray at a reasonable level as compared to their competitors.

And all that said, fuck you you're banned.  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

DangerMouse
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:15:12 PM »

Thats very true to be fair, theres no reason why Apple shouldnt exploit their position as far as possible in business terms - in a way any inadequacies can be blamed on the lack of competition. Plus it does look like Apple have learned from the age old mistakes during the rise of the PC when they lost out to IBM.

Equally the mass consumer market doesnt really care about standards driven development or design, thats just for enthusiasts like us - I guess I just find it annoying that Apple produce such cool, innovative products but they don't quite reach perfection because of such simple things.

DM

Note to self: keep  about Apple in future!
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »

Thats very true to be fair, theres no reason why Apple shouldnt exploit their position as far as possible in business terms - in a way any inadequacies can be blamed on the lack of competition. Plus it does look like Apple have learned from the age old mistakes during the rise of the PC when they lost out to IBM.
Boy was that a hard lesson... in many ways they still suffer for it today, and they should. Perhaps some of the largest squandered opportunities ever by a technology company.

Equally the mass consumer market doesnt really care about standards driven development or design, thats just for enthusiasts like us - I guess I just find it annoying that Apple produce such cool, innovative products but they don't quite reach perfection because of such simple things.
I understand. I agree it's frustrating to get SO CLOSE as to not hit the "perfect" water-mark... but I personally am pleased with their efforts and find that of all systems I've used, I am most productive on theirs, which is why I am a fanboi.

Note to self: keep  about Apple in future!
ROFLMAO Not at all mate... please don't ever self-censor, at least not here.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 12:42:02 PM »

actually DM your point is why i ask. I dont really care about the details, the hacks and tweaks, and other garbage. its my freakin email, calendar and contacts. I want it to do THAT.

although I use google apps now and all i really use is calendar with sharing, email with imap, contacts.
But, all that needs to get to my phone and be accessible via web browser. The reason why mobile me is interesting is because it will actually sync with the iphone, which i am pretty much sold on for a while.

Also it makes me reminiscent of the days of windows ME...

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 01:28:40 PM »

Since the information is really on your machines (pushed there from the cloud) and the changes are instatiated either from your machine(s) or from the web apps, then I see it is a "It's all mine" kind of data scenario - perhaps Apple knows more about me than I care to divulge, but I think that is a reasonable security risk for what is essentially an out-sourced replication and web-access solution. I've signed up to be alerted when it is actually available and will be trying the 60 day free jazz... so I'll post here how it goes.

And don't worry DM, my fanboiness will not get in the way of my objectivity Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript