The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 12:01:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Microsoft Touch: Already pathetic, and it's not even been released.  (Read 6920 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:24:47 PM »

Check this out:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/05/28/windows_7_starts_race_with_apple_to_full_multi_touch_desktop_os.html

M$ demonstrating their touch chops... slow, uninspired, yesterday. IMO, M$ is about technical tricks, where Apple seems more involved in *why* to implement technical tricks. If it really doesn't enhance the experience, what's the point, except to try and sell units? And therein lies the reason for why M$ has become increasingly irrelevant and a lesseningly required evil... and OS-X and Linux have been kicking their butt. In this demo they show things that are barely more exciting than what you can do today with a touch screen monitor and a mouse driver... yeah, flipping and sizing a picture is neat, but not terribly amazing. /yawn/

They'd best wake up or things are just going to get worse.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:41:47 PM »

Typical MS tactic and it works Smiley.
Competition comes up with a new idea. MS immediately announces that they will soon release a better product in a few months.
Most importantly it stops the average stupid user from purchasing the competitions product.
Again in 3 more months he will display how his vapour ware has improved Smiley
Examples of this are apple and windows. PocketPC and Palm etc etc.

Never bet on the horse, always bet on the jockey.
Bottom line is bill gates knows how to play dirty and win.
Also most importantly he does not allow things like failure to set him back. Where most people would have given up, he continues on Smiley.

Almost every product MS has started out as a piece of junk Smiley.

Also another problem is iphone and mac in general has not managed to break out of USA market.
Nokia,O2 etc are much more popular then iphone in PH.
To be honest I have not even seen anyone using an iphone in PH.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:54:26 PM »

Bottom line is bill gates knows how to play dirty and win.
Also most importantly he does not allow things like failure to set him back. Where most people would have given up, he continues on Smiley.

Heh... and he just spent his last day as a regular employee. Seems to me like he also understands when to cut and run.

Always better to go out undefeated and on top... Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:13:52 PM »

Yah and Lee Kuan Yew does not run singapore anymore  ROFLMAO
He is just Minister Mentor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minister_Mentor
In fairness he is becoming more "liberal" and allowing opposition members to be actually elected to parliament Smiley

Fuking Bill Gates is like Stalin.
When stalin died, for like 3 days afterwards people where scared to enter his apartment to see if he was really dead, they thought maybe he is just pretending.
And even after he was in the ground, people where still scared to say bad things about him for many years afterwards, for fear he was just pretending to be dead, and was recording all the nasty things people said about him Wink
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »

Kinda related
http://www.dailyherald.com/special/philippines/part2c.asp
An old article 2004, it shows the new call center youth.
In the buisness centers like ortigous, they are identified by thier trendy clothes and expensive cellphones.
(A cellphone in PH is a status symbol, it is not uncommon to see a tricycle driver with a $200+ nokia cell phone, lives in a fuking grass house but has a $200+ cell phone Smiley).
If anything there are more of them. Often these centers are busier are nite then during the day Smiley

Anyway intresting part is on sidebar.
The Philippines racks up more text messages in a day - about 18 million - than all of Western Europe, making Manila the text messaging capital of the world.
These are 2004 stats probably like 3x that now.
Global and Smart mobile service providers have a lock on the market, which boasts about 35 million subscribers.

In fairness iphone looks like a superior product, but apple is making a huge mistake ignoring the asian market.
I would get an iphone (I have an 02 which is pocketpc/cellphone combo very popular here, along with palm's version.) but there is no where to purchase one here.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:57:17 AM »

Apple's contract with AT&T is up soon. It'll be available all over the world.

Problem is that most of my European friends thought that my iPhone was cool, but not cool enough to buy. They've had phones that do much more than the iPhone is capable of for 5 or 6 years in most of Europe. I have a Swiss friend who has been opening his garage door with his phone since 2000.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:33:14 AM »

I sense a theme VS... it seems that you dislike [every|any]thing Apple

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »

I dislike anything closed source, but I bought and use an iPhone every day, don't I?

I thought what I posted above was fairly neutral. Frankly I always feel ripped off tech-wise when I go to Europe. Things they take for granted like 100MB full duplex connections for about 20 bucks a month, we salivate over.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »

I dislike anything closed source, but I bought and use an iPhone every day, don't I?
Fair enough.

Frankly I always feel ripped off tech-wise when I go to Europe. Things they take for granted like 100MB full duplex connections for about 20 bucks a month, we salivate over.
It's true... but they have no idea how to manufacture toilet paper yet, so I'm still America bound  ROFLMAO

craw
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO a good one every once in a while there perk
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 09:37:42 AM »

Unfortunately only too true Craw... and if you've ever had to endure the 40-grit bulls%$t they call TP then you'd have that memory etched into your memory as well  ROFLMAO

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:48:23 AM »

etched into your memory

So what your saying is, your brain is in your ass?

<rimshot>

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 10:10:19 AM »

The technical term is an anal cranial inversion, thank you. Commonly known as, "My head's up my ass."

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »

Biggest problem i can think of with iphone is it has no apps.
vs an XDA (which is far more pricey) can run any app a pocketpc can run.
For my pocketpc (i had one years ago) when i instructed i would every morning write all my lesson plans on the bus/train etc.
This was a big time save.

Also another news related biggie
http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/28/nokia-acquires-trolltech-the-biggest-little-company-youve-ne/
http://trolltech.com/products/qtopia

Origionally before ipaq was acquired by HP, they sponsored making it so you could install linux onto an ipaq.
For shits and giggles I tried it (granted it had lots of bugs but it was like 5 years back).
Sharp actually made a device that was made for qtopia, but for some reason they discontinued all distribution except in japan (i have no idea).
You could using a cross compiler compile many QT apps and stick them on ur device. (biggest problem was u had to slightly change because of screen size).
So theoretically nokia will be able to run 50% of most linux apps.
If apple would have been smart they would have acquired trolltech.

So it seems to be a rerun of the apple vs DOS problem of late 80s/early 90s.
Apple offers a great platform, but relatively speaking a small user base and no apps.
Dos a piece of shit, but lots of apps.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 02:33:12 PM »

Biggest problem i can think of with iphone is it has no apps.

Someone hasn't been following what's up Wink ... the iPhone has an extraordinary SDK (I'm a developer and have it) and it is rumored that on June 9 they will finally open the flood gates for the apps, although many rumor sites think it will be late June. The SDK was downloaded over 100K times in the first 3 days it was available. There are no accurate counts any longer on how many people are actually developing apps, but it's in the way-thousands. Next month is going to be *really big* for the iPhone, and the smart phone world in general.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript