The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 09:37:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Macs Reclaim Top Reliability Rating  (Read 1478 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/183820/macs_reclaim_top_reliability_rating.html?tk=nl_dnx_h_crawl

"The Asian computer maker, which led Rescuecom's rankings for the first six months of the year, has seen its reliability rating plunge from a first-quarter high of 972 to 166 in the third quarter." 

I'm not familiar with this rating or the factors that cause movement in either direction.  But whatever the criteria may be, this caught my eye:
But Apple recaptured the top ranking for the third quarter with a reliability score of 374. Behind Apple were Lenovo and Asus with 320 and 166, respectively, followed by Toshiba and Hewlett-Packard in fourth and fifth place.

Regardless of the method, unless it's based on some curve with exponentially decreasing importance as the score gets higher (better), we're looking at a market leader (Apple) with 374, followed by Lenovo with 320 and Asus in third place with 166.  Toshiba and HP are the next best players in the "quality" hardware championship Roll Eyes  So here's my concern.  If Apple is now ranked as the most reliable in terms of the hardware they sell with a score of 374 ahead of Lenovo with 320, the rest of the players are dangling well below 50% in terms of quality.  However, since Asus fell from 972 to 166 in just one quarter, I'm not very confident of this measurement.  According to the rating, in the previous quarter Asus had roughly three times the "quality" of a Mac, yet suddenly Apple becomes twice the quality of Asus?  Did the netbook rollout bomb that badly??  Possibly - since everyone seems to be rushing them to market.  But regardless of this, I'm completely skeptical of this "quality" measurement.

And for the record perks, it's not because I think Apple produces bad hardware.  It's just that the "quality" swing seems unrealistic according to their measurement.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 07:53:45 PM »

Get it ITTO - but this is not their measurement.

The netbooks, particularly, are made of such shoddy horsepoop that it's often amazing they work. In an effort to get the cost down as low as possible they've cut every conceivable corner.

Consider:
But Asus' decline was the big story. The Asian computer maker, which led Rescuecom's rankings for the first six months of the year, has seen its reliability rating plunge from a first-quarter high of 972 to 166 in the third quarter.

Asus' nose-dive was hardly a surprise, said David Milman, Rescuecom's CEO. "This is what we were waiting for on Asus, whether or not their reliability score would be maintained," said Milman in an e-mail. "Now that many of the netbooks by Asus have been out for a while, there is obviously a higher need for service."

The scoring metrics seem reasonable to me:
Rescuecom produces its scores by comparing the percentage of support calls represented by each vendor with each computer maker's U.S. market share. The greater the difference between the two, the higher the score. For example, although Apple's U.S. market share was 9% -- according to research firm IDC, whose data Rescuecom used to calculate its ratings -- Macs accounted for just 2.4% of the calls to Rescuecom. According to Rescuecom's reasoning, the higher scores indicate more reliable hardware and better support from the computer makers.

Apple's third-quarter rating was actually 5% lower than the 394 Rescuecom gave the company's computers for 2009's second quarter.

... so your rating is your rate of call versus your penetration into the market. Seems nicely weighted to adjust for big and little players.

I'd be less focused on the thought that Apple is now twice the so-called quality of Asus, and notice that even they, as they increased market share, have slipped a little, but they have maintained a relative level of quality. This is not a Cinderella story by one player, it's a fall from grace of another. To me, a much more important thought is that Apple's computers have certainly been out long enough for problems to bubbled up violently - Asus is just now starting to feel the result of their production quality. This tells us a lot about product longevity IMO.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 07:55:40 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 09:06:25 PM »

I would agree that the asus numbers make it seem suspect. Its not Apple-suspect, but it is suspect none-the-less.
If asus honestly screwed up that badly to drop from massive top dog lead to suckballs, in 3 months, I would fire the entire company.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 08:47:58 AM »

Don't think I'd buy a netbook from anyone, but ASUS makes the highest quality hardware I have ever used consistently. I used an ASUS motherboard in my first gaming rig, and there's an ASUS motherboard in my current gaming rig, which has an ASUS gaming laptop sitting next to it. Can't beat the value for the price (which is ridiculously cheap for the kind of testing they do). I can't speak to netbooks but I don't care to as I'm completely uninterested in them.

I buy ASUS hardware like I buy Honda automobiles.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript