The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 02:13:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac Block Pro  (Read 6788 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2009, 03:03:33 PM »

I've bumped into this wall so many times I need an Alzheimer's exam.  Every time I consider getting a Mac Book and realize it's impossible for under $1000, then look closely at the specs and the same reaction happens: WTF - hell no!

Well, not really hell no, since I'm probably winding up with one sooner or later.  But it sure creates a Mac Block that's truly challenging to overcome   

Cool can smoke me, so usefulness has to help my otherwise thin logic for going with a Mac: keeping current with various OS offerings.  In a fit of adolescent rage - SELL Snow Leopard god damnit!  

All I want is the OS.  Other than laptops, I wouldn't be caught dead buying a pre-built computer Vomit  Lordy what a sickening feeling after knowing precisely what my PCs are made of and precisely how to fix any issue without fearing a breach of warranty, or prison time.

I'd build a shrine of a bomb-ass "gaming Mac" and make it look so beautiful even kurdt would appreciate the aesthetics!  No, not a vegas-style Transformer special Wink  Oh yeah, max upon max RAM at under $400 per GB too!!  Shocked

Even more distasteful is a $599 Mac Mini, or Mac Spec Micro.  Specs actually matter when a monitor is not on the list of "specs."

EDIT: Sorry for the god awful formatting of this post.  I'm flying blind with Chrome...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:07:00 PM by isthisthingon » Logged

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »

and realize it's impossible for under $1000, then look closely at the specs and the same reaction happens: WTF - hell no!
Dood. So long as you focus simply and specs-to-price Mac will lose. It's not about that. It's about value-to-price, where Mac excels. (That said, my machine simply smokes and even if you purchased another couple decimals worth of processing speed, neither *nix or 'doz machine would even come close to competing...

All I want is the OS.  Other than laptops, I wouldn't be caught dead buying a pre-built computer Vomit  Lordy what a sickening feeling after knowing precisely what my PCs are made of and precisely how to fix any issue without fearing a breach of warranty, or prison time.
You'll do better here as well if you eat without visiting the kitchen. We had a moratorium on jewelry for a long time after we started retailing it because we knew what the margins were. But I got over that as well, because if I want something, then price in many ways is either not-doable or immaterial because I want it. Go with the overall value of your purchase ITTO. Focusing on the parts will not tell you the overall benefit of the whole.

I'd build a shrine of a bomb-ass "gaming Mac" and make it look so beautiful even kurdt would appreciate the aesthetics!  No, not a vegas-style Transformer special Wink  Oh yeah, max upon max RAM at under $400 per GB too!!  Shocked
Yeah. And the first time you had troubles with it you'd blame OS-X  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 03:21:13 PM »

actually, the problem is not so much price overall, as it is price at your range your looking at.
The top MBpro is only a little more than a comparable dell for example. Same thing with the desktop machines.

You also have to realize that you SHOULD NOT buy upgrades from apple. Buy the base with the proc you want, and put in the extra ram yourself.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 03:22:59 PM »

Oh absolutely to that... Crucial is way better for memory than Apple. The only place you'll take it in the pooter is if you buy the highest end machine.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

Yeah, Apple really doesn't shine in low price category. But with Mac Pros and other more high end stuff, they are pretty good with the price. Plus you get operating system with it and so on.

Oh and never buy memory from Apple. It's so fucking expensive and it's the exactly same memory you can buy from Kingston Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »

Go with the overall value of your purchase ITTO

Absolutely.  That's precisely what I'm saying - not squabbling over simply RAM or drive capacity.  It's really hard to put into words but if it's fair to say that itto needs a month+ to be able to truly appreciate what OS X really offers, then it's equally as fair to say that since I'm hugely into building my computers over buying them pre-built, that this value to me is something that others who have less experience in this area can't truly appreciate until they find the same passion for it

Heck I'm in a building/re-buildiing mode with my boxes constantly.  It's that kinda fun man, no lie.  Jobs himself has a certain affinity for things like this Wink  Just moving to a new apartment has me thinking about the new aesthetics and how differently shaped, colored, powered, etc. etc. boxes would land more nicely in my home.

But again, it's why the laptop is on my radar since I certainly don't build them Smiley

Thx!

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 03:55:59 PM »

Totally get the love of construction ... I'm actually in exactly the opposite place now. Beyond uninteresting, actually pisses me off.

That's actually one of the value points for me with Apple actually - the boxes are so friggin' easy to upgrade/update etc that I have to spend almost no time doing it. Delightful. But not a joy at all for a wrench twister like yourself.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 04:25:53 PM »

But not a joy at all for a wrench twister like yourself.

ROFLMAO wrench twister

I'm worthless with cars, great with home theater (setting the time on devices excluded), couldn't build a fence for the life of me, but somehow found incredible satisfaction building and rebuilding PCs  Undecided

I used to completely hate certain aspects of hardware modifications.  Dropping a new motherboard into a once pre-built box and finding it doesn't fit well is one of those great deterrents.  But I feel like a kid building an RC car again on xmas ROFLMAO 

Last PC I built took 6 hours, booted perfectly on first fire-up, and runs flawlessly to this day (I'm on it now).  It was particularly fun since I went the 4-.5GB drives into 2 logical 1TB, RAID-0 direction.  I saw a screaming deal on a quad proc and built a box to house it.  In truth I've spent countless hours afterwards making hw/sw changes and fine tuning in general.  Having a non-overclocked box that competes with the fringe "unrecommended" custom builds is a personal goal.

But it's definitely fun for itto  Grin

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »

OSX IMHO is a POS.
I have a macbook pro, i am a wierdo I took the OSX and put it where it belongs in the trash can  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
I have had mine for over 2 years. It still knocks the socks off 75% of the new laptops out there.
It was not cheap, but it probably has saved me money.

The only other good laptop I had was the X1000 series by compaq.
As ussual because it was a good laptop compaq discontinued it  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO
Basically MacBook Pro is like the X1000 series by compaq, but they took the minor bugs it had and fixed them.
I am hard on my laptops. I destroyed thru use 2 other laptops in 9 months.
Also the display on Macbook is good. Does not make ur eyes feel like they will fall out after a few hours.

For a desktop constucting is the way to go probably.
But i do not really enjoy fuking around with all the parts.
Before that all the desktops i had except for my first i constructed myself. It make a big difference.
If u enjoy doing it, what ever makes ur tractor go Smiley.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »

The top MBpro is only a little more than a comparable dell for example. Same thing with the desktop machines.

lol wut?

On which planet? Certainly not this one.

I currently lack the time but I'll do up a full case study later. I don't care about the value argument or any of that, this statement is just objectively wrong by a huge margin.

First off, you can't get the same hardware options on a MBP. They are always at *least* 1 generation behind the current technology (towards the end of the year), but usually two (springtime). Find me a quad core macbook pro right now before we can even make a comparison. You can't, because they don't exist yet.

Second, Dell offers insane coupons - usually around 30-40% off listed price.

Third, ASUS makes higher quality hardware, and they are cheaper still than Dell. You can get a quad core ASUS laptop with 6GB of RAM and a Geforce 260 with 1GB VRAM right this moment for less than half the price of the best-specced macbook pro, which doesn't hold a candle to the hardware specs.

SO I will say it again for perks: Don't bother with the value argument. I've heard it. I agree. It's not relevant to my point. You cannot seriously argue that Apple hardware is not at least TWICE the price of hardware anywhere else. It's just not true.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 02:18:15 PM »

pricing wise, they are about the same. Or at least they were. It seems the studio line has come down in price and there is one that matches the specs for $899 so I stand corrected. Technically.

however, bus speeds and all that extra jazz i am sure would make up the difference, and if you include weight its a whole nother conversation.

Apple Laptop - comparing to: http://4sp.in/2mx

Dell Studio laptop for $899 http://4sp.in/2mw
but gotta upgrade the Proc to same, so $1329

frankly though, the studio line is not comparable. MBPs are more comparable with the Precision line. And there, the prices are the same. If not worse for dell.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »

Apple had more success obscuring the man behind the curtain prior to their Intel move.  Now all the hardware arguments are ridiculous and the only curtain left is made of tattered legal rags and subjective aesthetics.

Let's face it, when it comes to hardware it really is Apples to Apples now ROFLMAO

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 02:41:44 PM »

It still comes down to MOBOs and the bridges though.

You could by a Dell Studio with a shitload of ram, drive, and proc speed, but it will still blow compared to a less spec'd Precision. I dont get why or how they get away with it, but they do.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »

It still comes down to MOBOs and the bridges though.

You could by a Dell Studio with a shitload of ram, drive, and proc speed, but it will still blow compared to a less spec'd Precision. I dont get why or how they get away with it, but they do.

Beware the Celeron...

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »

yep that too.

core 2 duo C...
or core 2 duo M...

might as well attach a peddle powered generator to it also.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript