The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:06:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Loving Apple looks like a religion to an MRI scan  (Read 1912 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2011, 05:13:42 AM »

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/17/bbc-loving-apple-looks-like-a-religion-to-an-mri-scan/
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »

The content surprised me after reading the title.

Implying that Apple fandom equals zealotry may be attention-grabbing (and does indeed make me want to watch the program; too bad I can't use the BBC's iPlayer app here in the States), but the neurological similarity isn't surprising or particularly novel. You could almost certainly make the same observations about Red Sox fans, Twilight groupies, Van Halen lovers, Ducati collectors ... the list goes on, and whatever object of desire makes your heart pitter-patter will resonate in the neural patterns of your gray matter. Paraphrasing my colleague Chris Rawson, "This just in: the human brain is extremely susceptible to liking the things it likes to like. More details as we get them."

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:23:04 PM »

The content surprised me after reading the title.

Implying that Apple fandom equals zealotry may be attention-grabbing (and does indeed make me want to watch the program; too bad I can't use the BBC's iPlayer app here in the States), but the neurological similarity isn't surprising or particularly novel. You could almost certainly make the same observations about Red Sox fans, Twilight groupies, Van Halen lovers, Ducati collectors ... the list goes on, and whatever object of desire makes your heart pitter-patter will resonate in the neural patterns of your gray matter. Paraphrasing my colleague Chris Rawson, "This just in: the human brain is extremely susceptible to liking the things it likes to like. More details as we get them."

Why does this surprise you Huh?
The need to believe, or if you would like to call it the "need for religion" is a scientifically proven human condition.
We are all prone to this, just a large segment of society are more prone then others.

I will give you something else to think about.
"memories are manufactured by the human brain" and have little to do with reality in many cases.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »

Oh, no you miss my point - I thought it was going to be much more of a slam article rather than what it wound up being.

The content makes 100% sense and is in many ways pretty obvious.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 03:04:45 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 02:20:04 PM »

Oh, ho you miss my point - I thought it was going to be much more of a slam article rather than what it wound up being.

The content makes 100% sense and is in many ways pretty obvious.
It is a slam article, against humans in general Smiley
Obvious and makes 100% sense does not apply to humans Smiley

The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blank_Slate

A good basic book on Human's default or BIOS Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript