The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:34:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: LOL - a Classic!  (Read 7856 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »

I saw this at one of the Mac fanboi sites this morning - friggin' loved it. These were stickers passed out at a past Macworld conference.

Have a great Friday!

/Perk

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »

meh, you got intels in your box now, so not relevant anymore.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:10:46 PM »

Killjoy. Who invited HIM?  ROFLMAO

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
NYDAz
Expert

The Night Stalker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »

red hat inside on an apple ?

ROFLMAO  ROFLMAO  ROFLMAO

LATER EDIT : It's a snail but still funny ! I've confused it with a hat !  ROFLMAO

what's up?
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:23:22 PM »

ROFLMAO

One of my faves...

Devilish

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 01:10:29 PM »

If anything it makes me want to laugh at them. Mac users are so technically incompetent that they're making fun of themselves there without even realizing it.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 01:44:26 PM »

Ouch vsloath!  I'm a non-Windows, non-Mac, "just give a damn dev environment and a browser" user but some on this board take it pretty hard when their pet OSs get slammed.   ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 01:57:28 PM »

(Bummer, ITTO got in just before me here...)

Mac users are so technically incompetent that they're making fun of themselves there without even realizing it.
Careful old friend, you're getting MIGHTY close to my toes Wink

Interesting stat I read about a year ago: Windows users, on average, have expertise or a heightened capability with about 2.4 apps. Mac users, closer to 10. I'd argue that everyone not (us) is essentially incompetent, and that the hardware/software blend either makes it so they can get shit done or not. And although you, me, NBs, ITTO and the rest of the crew here beat the hell out of the standard deviation, the average user is simply interested in getting things done with their machines.

And having installed & managed more machines of all flavors than most people can imagine, I can tell you from first hand experience: Mac users get more done. Period. They have less trouble, are more satisfied and, for the vast vast majority, once they have converted they never go back. You can argue raw machine capability, *nix flexibility, windows ubiquity all you want, at the end of the day, when I deal with users, if they are satisfied and getting a lot done with minimal headache from their machine then they are happy.

Important point: Regardless of your notion, there's no way I can teach average people to effectively handle themselves on a *nix box, regardless of GUI flavor. Windows is, most often, barely-to-no better. When I put someone on a Mac they have much more of a capability to manage their application destiny and machine.

You realize, of course, that your (0 - $fanBoi) status is just as pathetic as those that would evangelize without logic, right? You argue from a position of bias, not fact. EXTRAORDINARILY unlike you.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:51:42 PM by perkiset » Logged

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 04:54:50 PM »

Grin

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »

I wasn't arguing about anything.

I was just laughing at the silly Mac fanbois making fun of themselves by making fun of the chips in their own b0x3n.

EDIT: and besides...snails? It makes no sense. That image is clearly a euphemism for a quad-core intel processor, I don't find it funny in the least so I'm hoping you can explain what I'm missing. Maybe I'm just a hopeless pedant in that regard.

One last thing too: Who cares how many apps you can use? I really couldn't care less what OS people use. Honestly, it's something about which I don't care in the least. If the great bastions of closed-source software made it so that we legally had no alternative to their shackles *tomorrow*, I would write my own OS. Really. I've already done so on numerous occassions. Who cares? I'm forced to use Windows because some of the games I play don't work well under Wine, but aside from that I have no stake in any sort of OS war. My point was that that graphic clearly has *nothing whatsoever* to do with an operating system, and in light of that fact it just seems dumb. I don't get how a techie could find that anything other than facepalm-worthy, so clearly I'm missing something Perks. So clue me in.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:42:07 PM by vsloathe » Logged

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 06:40:36 PM »

I believe this was released when the Mac was listed as the best computer for running Vista. I don't think it's a reference to processor necessarily at all - I think it's simply a joke on "what's inside" and the fact that what's inside a windoz box is slow and horrible. That's all.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »

Well then once again...Huh?

It is not possible that a Mac and a PC with the same hardware would run Vista any differently. It is literally an impossibility, so what gives?

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

You might think I come over here just to piss in your Cheerios.

I assure you I'm not.

I feel someone needs to counter your rabid fanaticism.  Grin

Most of us don't constantly rave about how awesome our OS is.  ROFLMAO

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »

Heck last year I told my parents-in-law to get a Mac Mini because their PC was giving them problems.

They wound up not getting one, but whatever.

They're good for some people. Old people, artists, etc.

Here's a great example of why I could never seriously consider OSX:

I was over at our parent company a few weeks ago and the guy I was with was typing in a terminal on OSX. He types in the name of his text editor and name of the file I want to edit, and it pops up the text editor and returns the terminal.

I was like  Shocked

Dood...do you have a virus or something? That is NOT proper behavior. You shouldn't return a terminal session, it should hang unless you specify otherwise. That creeps me the heck out man. I don't want my box doing things that I didn't specifically tell it to do.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »

Most of us don't constantly rave about how awesome our OS is.  ROFLMAO
That would be because your sucks by comparison  ROFLMAO

Dood...do you have a virus or something? That is NOT proper behavior. You shouldn't return a terminal session, it should hang unless you specify otherwise. That creeps me the heck out man. I don't want my box doing things that I didn't specifically tell it to do.
Well, that's your opinion, and I don't think it's wrong at all. In fact, it pisses me off when I run a GUI app from a terminal in *nix and it hangs the terminal, unless I nohup. The Mac properly notices that it's a gooie app and there's no need to hang the terminal, so it allows the app to start from outside of your current shell, so that it can be controlled by the finder.

And I also don't think this falls into "the box doing things I didn't tell it specifically to do" - you're expectation is that, because if your nix experience, an app runs in the shell modally. That was because of the way the shell was written, not because it's some brilliant management metaphor. In fact, if I tell it to run a GUI editor, what really should be done, is that the shell can spawn it and the editor SHOULD run on it's own. It's one of the few things that windows has gotten right as well.

I actually find that argument rather comical, because it puts you into the "stuck the way I expect things" category, rather than open to what works category, which again, is really not like you.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript