The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:07:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jobs returns...  (Read 1832 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/in-qa-steve-jobs-snipes-at-amazon-and-praises-ice-cream/

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:17:47 AM »

Interesting and reasonable replies to the lack of camera on Touch and no stills on the nano. Nice hint at the upcoming tablet. Man I can't wait to see that thing. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:37:36 AM »

Yep.  If anyone can come up with another winning portable device their track record suggests they have a good chance.  The Newton was ahead of it's time I suppose but they've been pushing hard for that market for a long time.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 11:02:52 AM »

The Newton was pretty cool, but I think that Apple had no marketing mojo at the time, nor the kind of understanding of what people were ready for. Snow Leopard, to me, is an example: I am pretty certain that there's a lot more that Apple could give us right now for the OS. But I think they see that getting where they ultimately want to go takes time, like water over a rock, to get there (Snow Leopard is an incremental step, nothing revolutionary by any stretch). The jump from computer to Newton was accepted only by those that were REALLY in the avante garde ... never by the main stream in any case.

I wonder if people would have been ready for a tablet before the iPhone... or the iPhone before the iPod. It may be giving them much too much credit, but I wonder just how much calculated delay they are now putting into their products before release, and looking to time the consumer market, rather than deliver it all. I wonder.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »

or the iPhone before the iPod. It may be giving them much too much credit, but I wonder just how much calculated delay they are now putting into their products before release, and looking to time the consumer market, rather than deliver it all. I wonder.

It almost seems like they want the market to say "Hey, why can't I have a camera in my iPod Touch?" or "No big deal - it's a game device anyway."

It does seem like they fish for various kinds of market feedback before making huge leaps, at least these days.  If they came out with a game-changing tablet that would be cool.  Regardless their history of mystery before important releases is pretty unique - across all industries Wink

(10 Reporters die climbing over themselves trying to snap the first public photo of the iTablet...)

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 11:21:57 AM »

(10 Reporters die climbing over themselves trying to snap the first public photo of the iTablet...)
LOL no lie. It'll be like that, no doubt.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript