The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:51:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jailbreaking an iPhone Article  (Read 2122 times)
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2009, 01:33:22 PM »

Yes, I have a (currently) un-jailbroken iPhone.

The EFF posted a pretty interesting article about jailbreaking, by the way. I should find it again it's a good read. Apple's trying to claim it violates their copyrights, and the EFF article is about the multitude of legal precedents that tell Apple where they can stuff that notion.

VS I split these posts off from the iPhone theme thread, just because I'd like to keep that one rather pristine.

Hope you don't mind... Smiley
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:43:53 PM by perkiset » Logged

hai
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:35:34 PM »

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/02/apple-says-jailbreaking-illegal

There we are. It's even slashdot-complete, since it includes a car analogy.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »

Couple interesting articles here:

A guy has come up with a way to connect two iPhones via bluetooth. Funniest line in the article: "...could possibly even comply with the standard iPhone SDK" - I'll bet that just gives you the shits VS. Actually it does me as well.
http://cultofmac.com/developer-achieves-iphone-to-iphone-connection-over-bluetooth/8325

This one is more on topic: the EFF is doing battle with Apple about an exception to the DCMA about jailbreaking. This is tougher. I understand Apple's position and goals, both the legitimate and snarky, but I find myself leaning pretty hard towards the EFF on this one as well:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/13/apple_and_eff_argue_over_iphone_jailbreaking.html

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:13:52 AM »

Call me old fashioned, I'm just a fan of actually *owning* something when I purchase it. Always have been. If Apple wants to lease their hardware to me, that's fine. I would consider an arrangement like that. There had better be some nice perks in it for me though, if I'll have nothing to show for it at the end.

No, if you ask me Apple's goal and strategy for the past several years (and the thing that has saved the company) is to have their cake and eat it too, whatever it takes.

hai
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »

>I'm just a fan of actually *owning* something when I purchase it

I hear you, VS. As a matter of principle, I will not subscribe to leasehold arrangements even at the ridiculously mundane level of not tolerating a $2 monthly charge for LP tanks for the fireplace gas logs.

In that thread here about ipod Touch vs asus, I didn't expand much on my reasons to not get the Touch (though I truly wanted to buy one). The deal breaker as far as the Touch was concerned was Apple's walled garden for apps and lack of an SD card slot (yet another way of walling a garden).  This was a few days before the EFF/Apple brouhaha hit the newsfeeds.  Apple's position makes me want to buy a Touch and jailbreak it just for the civil disobedience aspect.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript