The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:03:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: iTunes 9, iPhone 3.1.1 and one big HOLY SHIT!!! upgrade  (Read 6563 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »

Jump to the bottom if you want to see my HOLY SHIT upgrade announcement.

iTunes 9: a solid upgrade with some nice features. The "Home Share" feature has been LONG overdue and is welcome, easy and sweet. (It essentially lets you and your family automatically copy anything you purchase on one computer to another - keeping libraries in sync.. it is configurable as well). It was just a little confusing that you need to use just one of your Apple accounts to set it all up, but once past that, all is well (it doesn't mess with the primary account in iTunes, just uses the one Apple account as a network identifier I'm guessing).

Genius Mixes look nice, although when I want a whole buncha different stuff I tend to go Pandora. But I'll play more and see if I like it.

iPhone 3.1.1 - well, kind of a big so what, except that it now has bluetooth voice control (a biggie for me) and allows iTunes 9 the new features for syncing. Here's where it got fun: the new iTunes 9 and iPhone 3.1.1 allow for you to really configure your iPhone more precisely via iTunes, rather than just on the phone. I was able to reconfigure all my apps on the phone quickly and in the more Apple-ish way in iTunes then sync it right up. Delightful, since I've wanted to move a bunch of stuff around and change the essential organization of my iPhone, but didn't want to touch and drag every single app. Shift and CTRL/Click works when selecting apps in iTunes, so I shift-clicked all my games (originally on page 2) and dragged them onto a new page 8, which is where I wanted them. Clean, easy.

Most interestingly of all, my tethering is not gone. thought it would be, all blogs say it is - but it's not. Don't know if I'm lucky or what, but it's still there. Just tried it, all is still great.

The new control screens for selecting what should be on my phone (music, TV, movies, photos) are also greatly enhanced and needed it. Like them a lot.

Here's the big HOLY SHIT!!! upgrade:
When I handbrake movies, if I scrape them for AppleTV (high resolution) they were not playable on my iPhone. Not even selectable in the list. The new Movies tab in iTunes showed all my movies... hmmm, wonder what's up? Clicked on some recent AppleTV only movies, installed them an POW! Now viewable on my iPhone! This must mean that the iPhone codec is no longer resolution or geometry sensitive, because all my movies are now available on the iPhone, regardless of sizing/resolution I've scraped them in. How this has gotten along without being yelled from the fellow-scraper crowd is beyond me - but this is HUGE.

So, all in all a pretty decent upgrade. Going to do OS-X 10.6.1 here in a little bit, hoping it fixes a couple little bugs I've identified.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 03:36:57 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »

Update: One slight annoyance: where the green plus used to allow me to toggle between mini-player and full size, it now only reverts to the size I had the window at and full screen. You must now Cmd/Shift-M to get the mini player.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »

interesting about the movies, i will have to check that out.

for me the big feature is app screen organization from iTunes, one your desktop. YEAY!
no more... Click hold.... drag pause drag pause drag.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 03:36:31 PM »

for me the big feature is app screen organization from iTunes, one your desktop. YEAY!
I was ready to give up tethering just for that ... totally agree.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 04:42:22 PM »

Update Genius Mixes: OK, I'm more impressed. Just finished grabbing all of PinkHat's purchases as well as much of my children's, selfish bastard that I am. Updated my Genius listings, then looked at Genius mixes. They're pretty damn good. It'd be nice if I could say something like, rating > 2 or something, but I wonder if it's taking that into consideration already...

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 07:14:56 AM »

I don't use iTunes so I don't know how he does it, but I have a friend that makes playlists by star rating somehow.

hai
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:22:04 AM »

>but I have a friend that makes playlists by star rating somehow.

I never could get into the star rating.  Seems arbitrary IMO.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »

interesting little discovery.

When you upgrade iTunes on Win7, it kicks iTunes out of the "popular programs" quick list that is autobuilt. Not sure why.

Oh and another thing. They got rid of the rounded corners. YEAY. unless thats just a win7 issue. It's less "chrome".

other than that. i gotta play with the home sharing thingy mo bobber.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:59:23 AM »

When you upgrade iTunes on Win7, it kicks iTunes out of the "popular programs" quick list that is autobuilt. Not sure why.

ROFLMAO  Serves em right.  iTunes re-orders itself to the top of the Alt-Tab order in Vista.  Even if you minimize it, iTunes decides for you that if you Alt-Tab away from any other app that you simply must be interested in making it the top window  Roll Eyes

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »

like the damn itunes helper. EVERY time there is any apple related patch, i have to change the boot settings to not start the service.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:11:10 AM »

like the damn itunes helper

ROFLMAO

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 11:50:51 AM »

I never could get into the star rating.  Seems arbitrary IMO.

Rating is subjective ... you do it. The point of it is to be used in smart lists.

Smart Lists are one of the best parts of iTunes - in fact I used it as a prototype for a similar system for users to create ad-hoc subsets of client lists in my back office system. Great UI.

Anyway, after randomly rating your music 0..5 stars, then you can either simply sort by that, or more importantly, say in the rules for a smart list, "artist must contain 'Gabriell and rating is >= 3" ... since it's a smart list, as you go through your Peter Gabriel songs and rate them, they will drop into the list or out of the list automatically based on the star rating number.

Smart lists take a little getting used to, but once you're into them they are pretty awesome. They work for music, videos, movies, TV shows... you name it. Great stuff.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 11:51:59 AM »

like the damn itunes helper. EVERY time there is any apple related patch, i have to change the boot settings to not start the service.

All these issues are simply because you have not allowed yourselves to be assimilated. Once you relax and let it happen, all will be better.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »

My biggest pet peeve are these damn "helper" apps.

Hey, megacorp, I have a question for you. What makes you so certain that your app is so goddam important to me that it use up an extra 5MB of my ram just so your piece of shit behemoth can launch a whopping 1 second faster?

Adobe, Apple, and VMware are on my shitlist for that.

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »

All these issues are simply because you have not allowed yourselves to be assimilated. Once you relax and let it happen, all will be better.

I'll bring the lube.

Smart Lists are one of the best parts of iTunes - in fact I used it as a prototype for a similar system for users to create ad-hoc subsets of client lists in my back office system. Great UI.
Anyway, after randomly rating your music 0..5 stars, then you can either simply sort by that,

Never been a fan of sorting by irrelevance  ROFLMAO

or more importantly, say in the rules for a smart list, "artist must contain 'Gabriell and rating is >= 3" ... since it's a smart list, as you go through your Peter Gabriel songs and rate them, they will drop into the list or out of the list automatically based on the star rating number.

And that is a really cool feature.  Try to call it like I see it, bitches  Grin

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript