The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 10:45:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is that Tiger?  (Read 2715 times)
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2008, 06:36:59 PM »

Why yes, I believe it is. Hehe.

Pretty cool for testing stuff and developing iPhone apps, but man was it a pain to get it running correctly. I tried 10.5.4 first and that turned out to be a no-go, no matter what I tried.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:30:40 PM »

You built a VM OS-X? RIGHT ON mang... that's VERY cool.

You say it was a PIA... what was the primary issue? And how is it running? Nice and spunky or does it dog out on you?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:01:55 AM »

Yes, that is VERY Cool...... do tell how you did it.  Ive managed this a couple of
times but it was far from spunky... more like spoogy lol..

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 11:42:49 AM »

I've snapshotted the initial image, it's about a gig but obviously I cannot share it publicly.

I had to play with the hardware specs (virtual hardware) for it to work properly, and I had to make sure VMWare is running in single-processor mode.

I tried at first in virtualbox, and all my attempts failed. I decided to bite the bullet and use non-FOSS software (VMWare) in order to get Tiger to work. I'm trying to figure something out for Leopard now. The biggest issue is the EFI and their "trusted processor platform" or whatever it's called, that checks to make sure it's running on a Mac. I had to get a hacked Kernel and slipstream it into the installer ISO in order to make it ignore the hardware check. The vanilla kernel (which is fastest, native) would not work.

To answer speed questions: It's only running with 512MB of RAM and 64MB of video memory, but provided I manually dedicate a processor to the VM, it's pretty dang fast. Most of the time, it screams. There is the odd app or 2 that will take a while to start up though.

hai
mampy
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 04:31:52 PM »

Impressive, vsloathe.  What is it you are so loathsome about anyway?

Nice job though by the way.  I purchased a copy of parallels this weekend.
And did kind of the opposite on my macbook pro.   I installed windows xp,
windows 98 , and hardy heron and had them all running at one time.

Got that netflix instant (the only reason i would load xp in the first place).

And beloved gtk-gnutella on the ubuntu and fully functional skype calls.

Id be curious to try to run your tiger image Wink  lol...  Nice job anyway.

Applause

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »

I'm loathesome about non-free software and the destruction of the rights of We the People.

But my name is pronounced Vee-Sloathe, like Virtual Sloathe.

"And the people did feast on the lamb, and the sloathe (sloth, with a British accent), and the carp, and orangutans, and the fruit bats, and the breakfast cereals..." (From Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail).

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript