The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:15:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone Tethering  (Read 5140 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2009, 12:14:33 PM »

OK, I'm gonna start now because the rumor sites are already on it.

Root thread describing the next two: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/18/iphone-tethering-and-mms-hacks-surface/

Here's one, but it looks a little creepy: http://richardlai.xanga.com/704930537/enable-tethering-on-iphone-30---too-easy-worldwide-carriers/

Here's another that looks a little better: http://www.krillr.com/blog/3DPQHBZ3/i-have-tethering-and-mms-on-my-iphone-and-yes-im-on-att

If you're so inclined, load the modified carrier bundle into your proggy editor... that is one interesting file. I'm going to have me a little light night reading there.

Are you tethering with your 3G and 3.0? Please share you experience.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
deregular
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:05:31 AM »

I nearly barfed when I saw that tethering was going to cost extra through the carriers.
I remember my old motorola phone 4 or 5 years ago that I could simply plug into my laptop,
and use the phones network to get internet. Even OS too.

So how come in our day and age do we have to pay extra costs, even though I have a high data
plan that I never use?

One guess?

Answer: Because they can get away with it. (well for now anyway)

Outrageous.

Anyway, yah I picked up on a few articles last week about this tethering hack, bookmarked it but
now that you've mentioned it again, i may have to go have another look.

Either that or finally jailbreak the fucker.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 05:46:13 AM »

The way I've done tethering so far is to make my iPhone into a proxy. I have used the method where you setup an SSH tunnel on an ad-hoc wifi connection.

It's not true tethering, and it's slower than all get out.

hai
jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »

nice trick, vs.

wow i just plugged my palm into even puppy linux and it knew how to use the usb modem inside... i just got my dun info from the carrier and was rolling... parked right underneath the newest cell tower(EVDO  == 3g speeds..)  im getting 115k down and 20k up consistently.... not too shabby.

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:57 AM »

Did this last night, it was perfect. First time I went to the settings and tried to enable it, it told me to contact AT&T ... second time, wide open. Brilliant.

http://cultofmac.com/turning-on-iphone-tethering-even-easier-than-we-thought/12341

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 11:33:19 AM »

lol thats pretty idiot proof.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »

I'm on it now... it works friggin GREAT. As soon as I plugged it into my Mac, it recognized a new net interface. Went to net preferences and simply said, "Apply" which allowed it to save the new nic. Kaboom. The iPhone added a title on the top, "Internet Tethering" and I was online. Pings showed that about 50% of the time I was getting as fast service as the WiFi in this office!!!

I'm going to make sure I really like this, then consider getting rid of my Sprint EVDO card, which only works here in the US anyway.

Papa is pleased.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:47:41 PM »

bah i cant get win7 to see the phone as a USBnic

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:05:48 PM »

Yay!

I look forward to much kernel hacking to make it work.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 05:25:48 PM »

bah i cant get win7 to see the phone as a USBnic

Yuck @ Win7, but I get why. I'll bet it's just a matter of time till someone figures it out.

As I'm going forward, I'm more and more pleased. I am going to test the speed diff between my EVDO card and 3G this evening - I am really curious to see how that pans out. Handiest part of this is that PinkHat and I share the card... she has it or I do so we don't have 2 accounts. This obviates that workaround.

@ VS&Hacks: See! There's hope for a solution already Wink

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 07:17:39 PM »

Apparently the 3.0.1 iPhone software release will disable internet tethering in U.S. phones, for those of us who have activated it using the hack described on cultofmac.  So I dunno if I should resist upgrading to 3.0.1 or give up tethering for now.  It's actually come in handy a couple of times already (though I'm hoping I don't get a hefty AT&T bill for having used it.)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 07:35:58 PM »

Saw that yesterday as well, but it's still the beta - no official release notice yet. Note that they are going to try to sweeten it with non-destructive video editing and a few other nifty tricks, but the net-net is disabled tethering.

I am pleased with all the noise about breaking Apple from AT&T and will be interested to see if it gets more traction when people need to pay yet another $15/month for a "tethering option" from AT&T. In the final analysis, it will will be a deal for me because I pay about $70 (all in) for my EVDO card and would like to see that go, but I'll betcha there's going to be a lot of pissed off people.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »

i discovered a few days ago that the tethering hack broke my visual voicemail... LOL

1-2 weeks of voicemails I had never gotten, piled up in my VM box. Thankfully nothing critical. Had to do a full reset and re-activate to get it back.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:11 AM »

If they break it, I'll just jailbreak again.

hai
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 09:58:47 AM »

i discovered a few days ago that the tethering hack broke my visual voicemail... LOL

1-2 weeks of voicemails I had never gotten, piled up in my VM box. Thankfully nothing critical. Had to do a full reset and re-activate to get it back.

Hmm, strange, I have tethering enabled and my visual voicemail is working fine.  So far as I've been able to tell, the tethering hack hasn't caused any problems at all.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript