The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 01:56:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iphone slow on the gun  (Read 3846 times)
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2008, 12:13:24 AM »

for same reason apple got shit kicked in the PC market, same thing will happen in cell phones etc
http://qtextended.org/modules/devices/
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 12:02:30 PM »

Incorrect. And for exactly the same reason that they've gone from nowhere to #3 smart phone in the world in 15 months they will continue to be a HUGE presence.

Don't mistake capability for usability, or open source for social buzz. The iPhone is about the right marketing much more than raw horsepower, and the Apple team is the best.

There've been toasters out there that do what the iPhone can do for a long time. So you must ask yourself - why then, has it become so powerful so quickly?

Nope, the analogy is why the iPod kicked the crap out of all other music players, not how Apple lost the business world to the PC.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »

Could be Perk.

I think they really will have their work cut out for them in Europe though.

hai
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:56:48 PM »

I don't know.
It kinda sounds like a rerun of back in the days of DOS 1.0.
Apple was kiking ass back then too. And it was light years ahead of PC.

But they refused to license thier OS and it would only would work thier system.
Because of that, many programmers target DOS (that was one of main reasons i buy a PC).

With trolltechs qtopia.
All applications which work on KDE/QT with little effort can be recompiled to target wince and now nokia phones.
Also if u are a new cellphone/pocketpc manufacturer, u can license the qtopia system.
So that means that all applications that work with nokia will now work effortlessly with you new product.
And trolltech was bought for only $100M.

Big issue is many linux programmer know how to program QT, so no need to learn new API etc.
So with limited effort within 1-2 years they can start making apps for nokia's crap.

The battle for the pocketpc market is just starting.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:58:42 PM »

I think they really will have their work cut out for them in Europe though.
I think you're right - Apple will really need to think their strategy over a lot to be as big a success as they want to be there.

I don't know.
It kinda sounds like a rerun of back in the days of DOS 1.0.
Apple was kiking ass back then too. And it was light years ahead of PC.

But they refused to license thier OS and it would only would work thier system.
Because of that, many programmers target DOS (that was one of main reasons i buy a PC).
Agree quite a bit, however times have definitely changed - as has Steve Jobs and Co.

Back then, everything was new... untried... the land of the future. Although the Mac OS was clearly a major leap forward, with that came a gigantic host of problems, not the least of which was a maniacally closed source project with an iron fisted control freak at the helm. This lead to the creation of a magnificent machine, his ouster and the almost collapse of Apple in general. And the Mac was not necessarily the most advanced out there - do you remember OS2? That had true preemptive multitasking on 286s! It was WAY ahead. Of course UNIX was prevalent, PIC (egads) was out there... there were lots of systems that rocked and were way more effective than the Mac's OS. But the GUI was light years ahead, as was the notion of where it was going.

Since that time, we now all have at least 17 computers, cell phones, brain implants and smart toilets. The novelty has worn off of tech - it's no longer satisfying enough to be technically ahead of your neighbor - now you must have cache as well. I think Jobs really learned this when he went on to create NExT - now THAT machine was ahead of it's time. MACH was a brilliant kernel and the box was a thing of elegance. And it flopped like a dead fish. The transition towards the utility computer era had begun, and people wanted easy functionality over capability. The next big lesson for Steveo (IMO) was Pixar. It was there that he REALLY got a hold of marketing and the power of the story. I believe it was there that he saw the fusion of technology and marketing to create buzz - and the success of his pictures (I say that with tongue in cheek, of course he had nothing to do with them except green light the right ones) clearly bears out this notion.

IMO, Apple has not gotten everything right, nor are the the biggest, baddest, fastest, most capable things out there - but they got the right things right.. And they've done it again with the iPhone.

With trolltechs qtopia.
All applications which work on KDE/QT with little effort can be recompiled to target wince and now nokia phones.
Also if u are a new cellphone/pocketpc manufacturer, u can license the qtopia system.
So that means that all applications that work with nokia will now work effortlessly with you new product.
And trolltech was bought for only $100M.

Big issue is many linux programmer know how to program QT, so no need to learn new API etc.
So with limited effort within 1-2 years they can start making apps for nokia's crap.
I think this is a rather old fashioned argument, because there was simple X before QT, and there'll be other systems after. The notion that QT is the last thing that people need to learn is silly - so if they need to learn something, they can learn anything that takes them forward.

iPhone OS is essentially UNIX with the cocoa framework - it's a deep and powerful API that does take time to master, but is no more difficult than any other set of libraries - and the benefits of doing so means you can program for OS-X on either phone or desktop (almost) interchangeably. The question is the audience - Nokia is not going to be able to replace all existing customers with new smart phones that run their linux variant with an easy deployment mechanism - certainly not one that is as relatively seamless as the iTunes store. That means an uphill slog to try to upset the nimble and fast moving Apple, or the juggernaut that is Microsoft, or the entrenched leaders like RIM. In all cases, they have one hell of a mountain to climb. Apple already has a very formidable foot hold in that space and it's growing everyday. They are chewing away at Palm and Blackberry and are positioned to take the lead in the next 18 months. I have no idea if they will, but I wouldn't bet against them.

The battle for the pocketpc market is just starting.
Completely agree, but again, the times have changed. And I'd change your statement - even that notion is that it's a battle of hardware - "the pocketpc market" - it isn't. It's now the battle for the glitteratti market - it's a battle for the hearts and minds of the everyman, not the techno geek. It's a question of what will be seen in the corner of Paris Hilton's purse, not what performs the most terraflops per ounce, or watts and calories or what have you. It's the fact that virtually no technology company around except Apple seems to (ATM) have the capability to create "Mystery" any longer - it's all gray box hum, compared to white earbud buzz.

I think that anyone fighting on the techno capability battlefront is about to be blitzed by the cool marketing moguls. Technology is a commodity. Buzz is magic. And that's where the real battleground is.

Steve Jobs has turned technology into the new Hollywood.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 09:00:32 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:17:20 PM »

QT is hardly new, it is over 10 years old.
KDE is based on QT.
All KDE apps is based on QT.
I have used a lot of GUI frameworks and QT is the best.
Also thier documentation rocks.
But most importantly u have tons of developer who do not need to learn anything new.
And the same apps which run on QT will run anywhere.

Best product does not win, how many people use it is what matters.
Prime examples are PHP and C/C++
vs other scripting languages and something like Pascal
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 09:31:29 PM »

Best product does not win, how many people use it is what matters.
... and there's my point. Nokia, for example, will not necessarily have a tough time getting developers - it will have a tough time getting a product to as many people as it needs to build a critical mass. It's not anyone involved with tech that will cause the win/loss of this battle - it's my mom. If she can easily purchase and use apps on a phone that is easily purchased and used, [that technology] will win. And based on results, so far not even RIM has pulled it off - only Apple and the iPod neh iPhone. I don't see QT making life any easier for my mom, I see it being easier for developers. And that's a shitty combination for domination.

The days of "Because it's easier for developers" is over. The days of "Because it's easier for my mom" have begun, and that will define the future - not the trap set, API, or even the mechanics of the GUI. It'll be whether or not grandma is intrigued. My mother in law does not care if she's a PC or a Mac. She simply wants to turn things on and they work flawlessly for her every time, and she can understand what the heck is going on. Apple gets it, nobody else does yet. That's why others are losing ground so fast - and that's why the argument of "QT is easier for developers" will not prevail, because developers no longer matter.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 06:13:06 AM »

...because developers no longer matter.

Well now that's what I've been trying to tell you Perks!

ROFLMAO

I've had to start sharpening those soft skills, because the "hard" ones just aren't going to pay the bills in years to come.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 07:56:43 AM »

ROFLMAO

This from a guy that's been preaching to me forever that *nix is superior to OS-X because it's open source/Apple's closed source policy?

Ah but I kid the sloathe... it's true mang, no skills in programming are forever. I relearn a great deal of my tools just about every 3 years. Keeps me in the front row Wink

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »

My ethical beliefs about the superiority of open source have nothing to do with what I'm willing to do to make a buck. I like to keep them clearly delineated, so that my morals never get in the way of the money. I mean who knows, I might have misguided morals, and they'd have held me back from making some money?!

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 10:28:03 AM »

LOL that's precisely the reason that, although I'm a fanboi, I used Windoz crap up till 2000, it made me the most flow. Now I can be an unapologetic fanboi because the OS is no longer the defining element of my consulting.

svakanda
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »

Because it's easier for my mom

oooh...!    ROFLMAO

this delicious little tidbit is gonna hang around for a while.

a ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what it's for.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript