The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 06:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone problem with proximity sensor  (Read 22270 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:20:49 PM »

I purchased a covering for my iPhone (a nice Wyland) that is a rubbery, yet silicon based product. It sticks to the phone sort of atomically rather than with an adhesive and looked nice. But here's the problem: the covering on the face plate actually inhibited the proximity sensor enough that when I brought the phone to my face the screen did not shut down - and PinkHat had several times where her cheek actually terminated a call because the buttons were still live when it was up to her face.

So the moral of the story - if you purchase something like that for your phone, make sure that when you put it to your ear it can still shut down the screen.

/p

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »

bleh. that blows. does it cover the front face a bit? i am assuming it does since it interferes. I was going to get a silicone case, but decided it ruins a nice looking phone Smiley

I am going to get insurance for it through my home policy instead. I am pretty sure they cover droppage.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »

The prox sense is to the right of the ear speaker as you look at the face, in the black area at the top. To test: make a call with the phone away from your head, then use your thumb to make a large covering over that area, move back and forth and you can find it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:20:37 PM »

I got an anti-glare screen cover and a plastic snap case. Works well but does not fit in the cradle when the plastic case is on. Not that I often put it in the cradle, but I have the cradle hooked up to my home theater receiver to listen to music occassionally.

The anti-glare screen cover is an excellent investment, for one thing it doesn't show smudges. It protects from scratches, and I find the texture of it more pleasing to the touch for scrolling the pushing buttons than the actual glass on the iPhone.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »

I use the antiglare film as well and works great.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:11:07 PM »

The cover on mine was almost an 1/8th of an inch thick at it's deepest point... it is a lot of silicon. Billed as dent protection as well as scratches and it did a great job at that... it's just too thick.

Actually, now having all covering off the phone for really the first time since I bought it I am falling in love with how elegant it looks and feels au naturale...

qweqwe
Rookie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 07:27:12 PM »

<spammer dick go boom>
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 08:32:29 PM by nutballs » Logged

No links in signatures please
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript