The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 17, 2019, 11:55:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone moves to Verizon: Good for AT&T?  (Read 3117 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:47:26 PM »

This is an interesting take, and several points ring through as pretty logical:

http://www.cultofmac.com/why-the-verizon-iphone-is-great-news-for-att/76735

I have no idea if that's how things will go, but it makes sense.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 03:05:42 PM »

Competition for the most part is always good.
Not sure if this is true, but I heard that Apple is selling iphones from Apple store "unlocked".
This will help increase sales of iphone outside USA tremendously.
A locked iphone is pretty much useless internationally.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »

I'm not sure of that locally, but internationally I hear that is true. Additionally, it looks as though the Verizon deal is non-exclusive, so I expect we'll see some T-Mobile folks using the phone soon as well (on their CDMA).

It looks like the CDMA antenna for Verizon is pretty much crap though, internationally - seems like there are few countries that support it.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »

Interesting take on things.

I've always been thinking that the iPhone gives Verizon a perfect opportunity to completely screw up their business.  If their network isn't really, truly prepared for a sudden influx of millions of new data-intensive users, their network could creak and groan and bog down much as AT&T's has done.  iPhone users are the heaviest users of smartphone data services and seem to always manage to demand more than the available bandwidth can deliver.

If this happens, the result will affect not only Verizon's new iPhone users, but their entire existing customer base, particularly those with smart phones.  Their reputation could quickly go from good to bad.

They've had a lot of time to prepare, so hopefully none of this will happen.  But I'll have to admit, I'll be a little bit amused if it does.

As for me, I'll be sticking with AT&T, at least for the next 18 months.  I have no desire to buy a new phone just to switch carriers (especially since I think the jury will be out for a while on how much better Verizon will actually be.)  And as much as I hate AT&T as a company and I do I think they've gotten a little bit of a bad rap for being unable to grow their infrastructure fast enough to keep up with the massive growth in demand.  I know how lengthy and difficult a process it is in my city to do something as basic as add a new cellular antenna to an existing cell tower.  It can easy take 2+ years and involves overcoming protests from neighbors in tinfoil hats who think that cell towers are killing their unborn children.  I don't imagine things are much different in other big cities.  I expect they'd have solved their bandwidth and coverage problems much sooner but for the bureaucracy and public opposition.  (Ironically, the same people that don't want a new antenna in their neighborhood are the first to complain about their lousy cell phone reception.)

Oh, one other reason to stick with AT&T: the ability to do simultaneous voice and data really is a key feature for me.  Verizon won't offer that ability in the foreseeable future.  I've been surprised at how often it comes in handy to check something over the interwebz while talking to someone.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 07:12:00 PM by daviator » Logged
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 07:21:58 PM »

Ditto browse/talk feature. That would suck to suddenly lose.

Although sort of a wishful thinking perspective, it would be *really cool* if AT&T were abandoned by bandwidth bogarts and suddenly AT&T were a more capable net, simply from reduced load. Sort of a high-priced option for those that wanted it. I'd by that for a dollar.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »

ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

Frickin' rich, and right to your point Dv8r: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/01/11/verizon_website_downtime_reminiscent_of_att_iphone_preorder_troubles.html

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »

Verizon will fail just as bad as AT&T.

If it's non exclusive, then why would there not be an announcement right away for tmobile? They don't even need to change the phone. AT&T and tmobile use the same exact tech, including even sharing towers. So my guess would be that the lack of tmobile iPhone is either a negotiation issue with apple, or a negotiation point with verizon.

Final word.
Apple is about to make another metric shitton of money...

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 08:29:36 PM »

Oh, and anyone that bails on AT&T and has an iPhone 4, paying the early term fees, is an idiot. First, iPhone 5 is probably a year away. Second, verizon will suck just as bad, just with a red colored fuck you instead of able one.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 08:36:32 PM »

ROFLMAO

Thus spake Zaranutstra.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 09:03:26 PM »

Oh, and...
It's not LTE. WTF?!

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 09:06:55 PM »

But let's get real. They aren't yet either. Not, at least, in a way that would prescribe the engineering and battery work necessary to put that into an iPhone.

Not yet.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript