The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 20, 2019, 11:49:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone, Kindle, the rumored mediaTablet and my digital frontier  (Read 2568 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »

I've not tried the Kindle because the last thing I want to do is carry yet another device in my purse (man bag - fuck off if you've got a problem with that). I think the notion is interesting, but useless to me.

So it was with a tentative click that I downloaded the Kindle app for the iPhone and purchased my first book a bit ago. I am impressed and in fact, converted. Last night laying in bed I suddenly got interested in another topic of study, hit Amazon with my iPhone, purchased the book and had 3 chapters read before I went to sleep. I also think that their purchase model is quite good: you can have up to 6 devices registered at any time (and un/re-register new/other devices at any time) and a book purchased can live on any one of those devices, but only one at a time - much like you can only lend a book to one friend at a time. I think this falls into the Fair Use notion quite well.

The reason this is transformative for me is that books, newspapers and magazines are one of the last things that I've not converted in my life - I enjoy the feel and smell of books, and the convenience of magazines has been compelling. Although the Kindle experience is still a long way away, a media tablet might, might, just be able to offer benefits that outweigh the downside of the non-tactile, digital experience. And without the heaviness and unportable notebooks we have today. Have you tried to open a notebook computer and watch a movie on a flight lately? Jeez, you put your drink and computer's life in jeopardy when you do.

So here's my thinking: the rumored Media Tablet is supposed to be a real computer with a 10" (diag) touch screen and the same thickness as the iPhone. I'd imagine it will run a more real and capable version of OSX - I can only hope it would be a full enough version, allowing me to open a shell or my text editor and do bug patches from the road. The rumors are that it will have WiFi, but not a carrier radio. This means that I'd have to carry a phone as well, but it could be the cheapest of cheap phones that is really a 911 device only. And, I'd imagine that the new device would allow things to be connected to it, meaning that it's only a little bit away from someone manufacturing a cellular dongle for it and Voila, full fledged phone. In that case, this new device could, realistically, be the God device that I've been looking for - my auxiliary memory, entertainment, connection to work and clients, GPS, encyclopedia etc etc. The iPhone gets me about 80% there, this device would seal the deal.

So how much longer do we need copper? How much longer will the cell networks exist? I'm thinking they have 3-5 years before the rest of the U.S. catches on to similar notions and the hard cost of copper and cellular upkeep will be outstripped by inexpensive and ubiquitous TCP/IP distributors. Certainly other countries are ahead of us, but they have not yet gone all the way.

So how much longer? For that matter, how much longer will we need keyboards? The 4-finger commands on the new Mac Powerbook are pretty damn hot, and it's clearly just the front edge. True gestural interfaces, as well as voice command are within striking distance I think. Love to hear your futurist thoughts on the matter.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:25:35 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »

meh. audiobooks FTW  ROFLMAO

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »

I don't think so. Although a fine tool, you may not have been able to do what I did last night from your phone as easily. I had the book and started reading within about 5 seconds and it takes up a fraction of the memory on my iPhone. I have many books on it, which I could not do with audio (and still keep my movies, music and photos etc unaltered). Neither do I find audio books a replacement for the written word. I enjoy learning certain things through text, rather than sound. Just me.

All that said, the new devices and methods would facilitate your enjoyment of audio books as well - forget storage for a moment and think streaming your books from home/the cloud/wherever and you can have what you are looking for as well.

I think we're right in front of the convergence of really small stuff and really big stuff, and the media table will be the love child. Big powerful desktops are shrinking and phone capability is growing. I think Apple is trying to stab the middle and find the sweet spot. I am really excited to see what they, and their expected competitors come out with in the next couple years.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 03:27:37 PM »

>iphone gets me 80% there

I hadn't read this thread until now, fanboy, but the title made it seem like it might be a fit for this drop...

Be sure to read the last sentence. EXACTLY what we've said about 1000 times now.

Engadget Editor Pisses On Using Iphone For Real Work

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/10/editorial-taking-the-iphone-3gs-off-the-job-market/

<added>
If things go as usual, Josh has been drawn and quartered by now and his larger body parts being drug through the streets of Manhattan.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:29:15 PM by rcjordan » Logged
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »

lol true.

I think the phone CAN be great for SOME biz.
And has the potential to be great for most, even all. Just the accessories need to be loosened up.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 10:49:43 AM »

The final analysis is funny actually - "put a keyboard on it" - as if that would really increase the work capability.

I don't know of anyone actually programming, or modifying Word documents on a Blackberry or iPhone. It can be done, sure - but what a spectacular PIA. This is standard issue glass half empty talk to me. When I purchase a keyboard for my music studio, I don't expect it to make me breakfast. Sure, I can chop vegetables on the faceplate and yes, I could even brew coffee on some of the power supplies. But this is not how it was intended.

I don't think Apple ever intended for this to be a work machine replacement. I think the rumored media tablet might be - or at least get me closer. My position on the iphone was start at phone, and continually get more impressed with what I can do, rather than expecting a lot and being disappointed.

I think adding a keyboard would be horrible. Heavier, less room for either processor, or screen, or battery or whatever. I find it a brilliant little device that operates well within the confines of what I think it was designed to do. Love it, can't wait to see what Apple comes up with next.

And honestly, it's not fanboi stuff here: I've tried so very many things like this in the past - this is the first one that actually comes close. I'm a fan because of how great it is, not purchasing because I'm a fan.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »

I know 1 specific reason you are so gung ho for a mac tablet perk... LOL
Its blond, a nurse, and seems to become unable to open a particular application on a regular basis...

I am intrigued by the idea of tablet. I think if they hop on it, develop some good, Applerific, multi touch apps, they could beat MS surface to the punch, in a smaller form factor. Its not quite the same thing, but, it could be "passed around" instead of "sat around" and would probably satisfy most folks.

I agree about the keyboard being dumb. BUT, this could all be solved with accessory open-ness. The fact is, if you had a little roll-up keyboard and mouse that you could just plug into the phone, you would have 1 in every car in the trunk, just sitting there, in case you needed it. No more laptop needed. I would never WORK on it, but i would DO work on it in short minimally necessary bursts, like fixing broken stuff. And a keyboard/mouse would make that MUCH easier.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 12:43:21 PM »

I know 1 specific reason you are so gung ho for a mac tablet perk... LOL
Its blond, a nurse, and seems to become unable to open a particular application on a regular basis...
SSSSSHHHHHHH.  Don't make me... Fucker.

I am intrigued by the idea of tablet. I think if they hop on it, develop some good, Applerific, multi touch apps, they could beat MS surface to the punch, in a smaller form factor. Its not quite the same thing, but, it could be "passed around" instead of "sat around" and would probably satisfy most folks.
In any case, the notion of gestural touch interfaces is on the horizon and here to stay. I really hope that Microsoft pushes the boundaries as well, because the more people/other companies push Apple, the more they have to respond. Have you seen the "chording setups" for the new Macbook? Damn ... 1,2,3 & 4 finger activities, configurable right from the touchpad. I think (well, hope) it's gonna be GREAT.

I agree about the keyboard being dumb. BUT, this could all be solved with accessory open-ness. The fact is, if you had a little roll-up keyboard and mouse that you could just plug into the phone, you would have 1 in every car in the trunk, just sitting there, in case you needed it. No more laptop needed. I would never WORK on it, but i would DO work on it in short minimally necessary bursts, like fixing broken stuff. And a keyboard/mouse would make that MUCH easier.
SPOT ON. If there was a dongle/pigtail I could plug in that gave me a USB keyboard (or USB drive, or USB network connect etc...) that would be awesome. Typing into an SSH with a real keyboard on that little machine acting as a gateway would be superb ... and if I could hook up a network line to it, it'd instantly become my network tester. Hell, for that matter, you could hook up a little VOM dongle to it and have some really interesting calculations done for you...  Idea... ooh, I like that one.

Yes you are 100% correct - it's a physical connection so that I could extend the device that would break it out. Interesting, that although 3.0 allows for outboard connection to the box there's not been much activity on that front yet. I wonder what the holdup is, except that even TomTom has not released their GPS for it yet, so clearly it must be a bigger issue than I imagine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript