The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:04:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone Killer: Maybe  (Read 1821 times)
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »

The add that started the battle and declared war on the iPhone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPYM-XTqcec&feature=player_embedded

Full article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/174307/verizon_droid_faq_what_we_know_so_far.html?tk=rss_news

Mind you, this is strictly trash marketing that I found enjoyable.  The opinions of Verizon and its affiliates do not reflect the opinions of itto and may cause cancer.  But props to "iDont"  ROFLMAO

Whoever first blurted out "wait, let's attack a bogey called the iDont" probably wet himself in uncontrollable excitement.

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »

Honestly - outside of fanboiness and my personal enjoyment of the iPhone, just a pure business and marketing observation: that's just a miserable tact.

Modified iFUD with a side helping of pseudo-cool, that crap sandwich of a campaign should be someone's marketing swan song.

"Hey guys - lets build buzz around things the iPhone DOESN'T do! Doesn't matter about the customer satisfaction, we can beat that with clever ads!"

Horrible.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »

Honestly - outside of fanboiness and my personal enjoyment of the iPhone, just a pure business and marketing observation: that's just a miserable tact.

Modified iFUD with a side helping of pseudo-cool, that crap sandwich of a campaign should be someone's marketing swan song.

"Hey guys - lets build buzz around things the iPhone DOESN'T do! Doesn't matter about the customer satisfaction, we can beat that with clever ads!"

Horrible.

Yeah.  I never can understand it when negative marketing campaigns seem completely oblivious to the fact that they're complimenting their target.  In a sense Apple should be happy with this attack since it essentially reaffirms their niche dominance IMO.

Too many companies tried and died with an anti-Microsoft approach.  Nobody likes an anti-enemy.  People want heroes Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:50:57 AM »

People want heroes Wink

Indeed. I have no idea how you'd do it, but IMO some smart marketing guys should make create a contrarian cool kind of thing... much like Apple's done to the rest of the world for the longest time ... be cool, don't go with the flow. The WhateverPhone. I dunno. I think it's fair to say that anyone going up against the iPhone certainly has their work cut out for them.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:00:42 AM »

I dunno. I think it's fair to say that anyone going up against the iPhone certainly has their work cut out for them.

Yeah who knows.  Maybe a pile of geniuses came up with nothing better than iDont or the anti-iPhone since Apple already had a monopoly on cool Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript