The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 21, 2019, 02:11:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone apps & venture capital  (Read 2918 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »

When Apple announced the iPhone SDK they also announced that Kleiner Perkins (no relation  ROFLMAO) would form a venture capital fund for companies that had something really special coming up for the iPhone. Good plan in my book, and MacRumors has just announced the first two that they are getting behind. I think this is indicative of just how cool things are going to get for the iPhone and really quickly.

First: a "What's happening around me" app - say you're in Vegas and want to eat italian... it knows where you are, it knows what's around you and boom! you got it. There are hints of a lot more social interaction stuff, but no great details yet. Sure, GPS devices have done such a thing, but I think this is the tip of the iceberg.

Second - remote control for devices in your home. No real details on how it works yet, but I'm going to guess that if you have X-10 stuff controlling fixtures in your house, they've built a bluetooth to FireCracker (the serial device that allows your computer to control X-10) interface, or perhaps some kind of a WiFi to network interface - although there are clearly some security concerns around there. But how cool to walk up to your home, say, and turn the lights on before you walk in...

These may or may not be killer apps, but again I think the foretell some really cool stuff on the way... Read more here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/27/first-venture-captial-funded-iphone-apps-whrrl-icontrol/

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »

Both apps are already developed and available on installer.app from the official repository.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:49:32 AM »

They'll not get wide play until officially sanctioned though... I think most folks will not go outside of the Apple system because they are worried about ruining their phone, or being offline. Much like music moved all over the place underground with Napster, but with iTunes et al, it's exploded.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:33 PM »

Apple is the next Microsoft. Or Google is the next Microsoft. Or Google is the next Apple...

I'm not sure which is which anymore.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:20:55 PM »

Hmmm. Gapplesoft. Just doesn't roll off the tongue very nicely.

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »

Something like
http://www.ewesoft.com/eve/TheEveVirtualMachineAndSDK.htm
or this one
http://www.superwaba.com.br/en/default.asp
which is related to eve (eve is based off waba but it does not say on thier site anymore) is probably a better way to go.

In both cases they are a stripped down java VM.
They run on wince (pocketpc smartphone) and palm devices, palm and wince probably differ more then iphone and wince Smiley
http://www.superwaba.net:8100/twiki/bin/view/Main/SupportedDevices
So if u had the time, to add iphone would be possible.

When i used it 5 years ago, on pocketpc it was very fast.
With the above you have the theoretical ability to develop for 1 platform and port it to others.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript