The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 14, 2019, 06:39:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone Apps: Picks & Pans  (Read 1963 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:02:49 AM »

Games:
  • OK, I'm an old fart. I love Labyrinth and Boom! (MineSweeper)
  • Acid Solitaire is cool because you can go into landscape and get a slightly larger playing area. Just feels better.
  • Cro-Mag Rally: average Mario Cart style game, I guess my kids would dig it ... pretty much the same for MonekyBall
  • Disney's All Star Cards - needs directions badly, and what's with "Press Any Key" on the home page LOL?"
  • Trism I guess it will be cool if I ever take the time to really figure it out. Frankly, coding is enough of a puzzle for me...

Music:
  • AOL Radio: Does exactly what it says, conveniently "grays out" stations that are too high bandwidth for the current connection. For the edge network, this is just about every station.
  • Pandora: Brilliant and fun.
  • last.fm: Just got it, looks great but haven't really put it through the paces yet. I think it's going to rock
  • Shazam: Interesting concept, hasn't worked for me yet. More as I test it harder.

Utilities & Miscellaneous
  • iNetwork Test: even at 99c it's average bang for buck. Currency: free exchange rate app - great for the price.
  • AIM: Does the job, but a bummer that it can't run in the background. Receiving IMs while doing something else is part of the whole point, yes?
  • Banner Free: Fun little app that, for free, is worth the price of the download. I'm sure there'll be some interesting messages floating out of cars in the near future. Would've been nice to have a speed setting.
  • Evernote: Thought it would be cool, but it's just too much to try. I don't want all of that complications.
  • FiatLux: The best flashlight: free, does what it says and stays out of my way. Although I'm still waiting for Nutballs $99 "iFlashlight++ Deluxe", of which I will gladly fork out the Benji.
  • Showtimes: MUCH better than others, and free. Did the job instantly and quickly. Nice
  • UrbanSpoon: Fun and cool. Have to give it a test over the next couple months to see if it's really as cool as it looks

I'm looking to see if anyone is using PageOnce, which looks really cool, but it scares me to put all of my banking account information into an Israeli service provider, regardless of their "Military Grade" security.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:24:02 AM »

If you like the AIM client, you should try Fring Smiley

It handles text chat for gtalk, MSN, skype, yahoo, AIM, etc.

And you can make skypeout calls on it  Devilish

Oh, and it will run in the background.

hai
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:45:15 AM »

... but for jbroken non 2.0 phones, right?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »

I believe it's going to be released commercially, however I doubt they would allow skypeout to work on the iPhone knowingly, even with a built in "only on wifi" restriction.

hai
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript