The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. October 16, 2019, 06:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone Apps Other People Should Write  (Read 6776 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2008, 03:26:02 PM »

OK, I have no time but would like to offer ideas for anyone else that wants to write an iPhone app. Add as you think of them!

* Scuba Diving Nitrogen Table Calculator / Log Book
A time app that would help you calculate when you can get back in the water, as well as could contribute to your log book (would need to be a sync'd app)

* Restaurant Rememberer
Speak in a description of a restaurant you are passing on the street and don't want to forget. iPhone looks up where it is, then stores it by geo position. Next time you're in the area, recall restaurants within <x> miles of you and play your notes. Show stick pins where they are in relationship to you ATM.
(I actually really like this one and wish I had time to pursue it... I think there's 3.99 per in this one Wink )

* Sokoban: Classic game, not currently available. You could get away with 99c, maybe even 2.99 on this one easily.

* Minesweeper: Are you kidding me it's not available and for free yet?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 04:10:09 PM »

The restaurant remember is an interesting idea. though if you have checked out the Jott or Reqall apps, they are voice to text apps (like i told you about jott before). the problem is that for an app to use your location, it asks you i think each time you launch for the first time, but maybe not? maybe its only once? cant remember, gonna have to test that. But basically those two apps do that already, if they had the location aspect. Targeted to restaurant and retail might be cool though. I will have to give this one some thought since I really like that general idea. However, there are a bunch of services with great databases already, with reviews and such, so competing against those might be a bit tough.

mine sweeper is on there, its called bomber or something like that. cant remember if its free or not. Minesweeper is TM i think so that why you dont see it with that name.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 04:11:25 PM »

Weight Watcher Helper: Lookup foods I am eating, add <these points> to my daily total

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:12:41 PM »

The restaurant remember is an interesting idea. though if you have checked out the Jott or Reqall apps

Wasn't looking so much for transcription as geo remembering. "I am <right here now>" what restaurants/other did I want to remember around here? Sort of geo-positioned voice notes. Do they do that?

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »

Weight Watcher Helper: Lookup foods I am eating, add <these points> to my daily total

trademarked. silly isnt it. the formula is trademarked. so the only way you will see a weightwatchers calc on apple.com is from weightwatchers. you may see one for a short period, until they get the first C&D...

there are few weight calcs that I have tinkered with, and they are OK, but nothing great yet.

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 04:23:29 PM »

The restaurant remember is an interesting idea. though if you have checked out the Jott or Reqall apps

Wasn't looking so much for transcription as geo remembering. "I am <right here now>" what restaurants/other did I want to remember around here? Sort of geo-positioned voice notes. Do they do that?

i just checked, neither do geo loc of the notes. im surprised.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 04:48:04 PM »

This also moves towards what you and I were talking about, some more advanced GeoCache type of games/features, although not being a GeoCache player I have no idea how that would look.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 04:48:58 PM »

hmmm.... except that perhaps OTHER people's voice notes would only be available to you if you were within <x distance> from the next GeoCache clue... CRAP. I'm supposed to be working and this just spun my gears hard

jammaster82
Lifer

Thats craigs list for ya

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »

How about a blood pressure monitor bluetooth interface that
warns you to put the biggie size #1 down....

Or how about using that 'auto hang up by setting it down'
feature to do a cool multiplayer card game that you can
'draw' a card off the virtual deck like you were really drawing it.

or a speech recognition mod to look up things in google while
it picks up tags/keywords so when you go to pick it up
and you were just talking about restaurants it would
have some suggestions based on location...or if it
heard you talking about ants it might pull up the first
10 google pages on ants or whatever...

And of course a projector so it can go on the wall and play
movies, display pages, etc...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:19:29 PM by jammaster82 » Logged

The watched pot, never boils... But if you walk away from it , the soup burns.  What gives?
vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 06:17:02 AM »

How about a farking driver for a bluetooth keyboard? That's my "killer app".

The rest is gravy, I already have a terminal with SSH and VIM, does context highlighting. Carrying my development environment in my pocket is great, but programming on the on-screen-keyboard is a little hinky.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 06:31:04 AM »

there are a significant number of DUH apps missing. I just cant write most of them. I have 1 or 2 in my mind that I can write I think, without even knowing anything about the process to write it. lol

SSH/telnet
bluetoothkeyboard
vnc/remote desktop
bluetooth mouse

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »

there are a significant number of DUH apps missing. I just cant write most of them. I have 1 or 2 in my mind that I can write I think, without even knowing anything about the process to write it. lol

SSH/telnet
bluetoothkeyboard
vnc/remote desktop
bluetooth mouse

Yeah, I have all but the bluetooth apps.

Someone already wrote VNSea for iPhone. I don't know if it's available via the apps store as I will not be a beta tester for them when I have a perfectly working suite of apps. When I'm forced to go 2.0, I will.

hai
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 08:48:22 AM »

if its in jailbreak apps i am sure it will very soon be in legit apps.

I think there is an approval process, which might account for the apps trickling out, and the weird sorting issues the store seems to be having.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 09:26:05 AM »

@ bluetooth keyboard... NO LIE. That would be THE KILLER APP. I'm not going to hold my breath, but MAN do I want that. Perhaps you remember my thread about attaching the iPhone to my head and having a keyboard lol...

VS - do you know of a reliable way to be 2.0 and use outside apps for the phone yet?

@ Nuts - you're right, if they're in the free world, they'll certainly be at the store soon enough.

vsloathe
vim ftw!
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 11:21:38 AM »

I don't know of a way. I think - and I could be wrong because I've not used the 2.0 firmware yet - but I think it might take a little bit (a few days, maybe a week) before most apps are ported. The reason is that you never needed to hook up to a computer with installer.app on a jailbroken iPhone, you just chose the app you wanted from your phone, and it installed. AFAIK, you need to download and install apps on your computer now, right? They are probably busily making installer packages.

hai
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript