The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 11:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 4 screen protectors  (Read 2485 times)
ehlo
Journeyman

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »

Hey guys,

I have just bought an iPhone 4 and I am going to receive the free bumper case from Apple. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with screen protectors and which brand they prefer, or do you not use one at all?  For those who use it without a protector are you noticing scratches?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:02:18 PM »

Hate them, tried and dumped.

After a year or so I've noticed some small scratches but nothing major. It's glass, not plastic after all. Even my 'pad has a couple little ones now, but the only time I see them is when the device is off, and at the right angle.

The screen protectors mess up the feel IMO, and ever so slightly distort finger targeting. I don't even have case protectors on either device. 

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 11:39:34 PM »

Allow me to cast another vote against using a screen protector with an iPhone.  They are difficult to apply and you almost always end up with an air bubble or two.  They mess up the "feel" and make it more difficult to slide your finger around.  They are more difficult to clean than the "naked" screen, which just wipes clean very easily.  You're essentially wasting the oleophobic coating when you use a screen protector... and the coating won't be there any more after a few months covered by plastic film.

I carried my iPhone 3GS around for a year in my pocket, along with coins, sometimes even keys (though only by accident, I normally would NOT put my keys in the same pocket as the phone.)  Before that, I had an original iPhone for two years which I carried around the same way.  Neither phone ever got any noticeable scratches on the screen.  The iPhone 4's screen is supposed to be even harder than the previous screens.  After a couple of months with the iPhone 4, I have no scratches I can discern (and no screen protector.)

I do recommend some kind of case (I use the bumper) so that if you drop the phone, the glass won't be what hits the ground.
ehlo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:08:05 AM »

Thanks daviator and perkiset, I think you just saved me some money Smiley I will be getting a bumper in a few weeks through the free case scheme so that is good.

I'm currently waiting for my number to be ported so can't use it as a phone yet but my first impressions are very good, installing apps is so simple, songs sound nice and clear and the screen is just awesome.

What apps are you both using? I'm not sure I will jailbreak just yet so which ones could you not live without from the app store?
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:04:19 AM »

i would vote against as well. the only advantage are the glare filter ones. They work, but they add a weird sparkle to the screen (the actual technical term is sparkle, no joke) It was bad with 3gs, i can imagine it probably ruines the retina screen on the 4. basically downrezzing for you.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »

You are going to continue to adore the phone until you use it as a phone. Pisses me right the fuck off. Some folkshave great reception, and so long as I am connected it's great. But the number of disconnects, at least out here 1/4 mile from the sun is ridiculous.

@apps: remote, TomTom, iPhlix, jailbreak it and use MyWi and My3G, iMovie, ColorSplash, Shazam, Pandora, WunderRadio, iBooks, Slingplayer, powerOne Calculator, NiceTrace, NetStatus, Ping, WiFiFoFum, Scany, NetTools, SubnetCalc, iTapRDP, NewsRack (RSS Reader), Engadget, PBS NewsHour, NPR News, BBC News, Sportacular, Bloomberg, NYTimes, msnbc.com, WYWH Postcards, Cellar Rat, Epicurious, Yelp, Urban Spoon

that ought to do you for a while Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
ehlo
Journeyman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »

that ought to do you for a while Wink

Yeah I would say so, thanks guys
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript