The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 12:08:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPhone 3.0: Supposed to be available today  (Read 2261 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »

It's not publicly available yet via iTunes, but many have been playing with the final release for a bit now. It looks like like they've ground out some great new incremental features and I can't wait.

Nice article: http://cultofmac.com/review-iphone-30-os-is-a-must-have-upgrade/11921

(Actually, I REALLY can't wait to get my 3GS on Friday, but I'll enjoy the new software toy when it's officially released today...)

Looking forward to seeing out Push works, a lot. Also: Question for anyone using WunderRadio: when I'm streaming radio I do not get calls - I have always thought this was because I'm still on the EDGE ... Nuts, anyone else reading: can you still take calls when you stream radio over 3G?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »

Actually it might be at the UPS office by you already... LOL locked up waiting for friday.

Calls
i would assume so. The control channel should still have a slice of radio.
And if you are not getting calls on edge, I find that odd, same principle should apply.
Maybe its just coincidental?

It does take "longer" for the phone to realize there is a call. I notice it in apps all the time.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:12:56 AM »

Hmm. I'm am really interested in this, because it's been just a titch of a bummer, that an app could effectively block other apps from running, or is it an EDGE/Telco problem, I don't know. I really have my fingers crossed.

Other news: Touchterm SSH on the iPhone goes horizontal as well, increasing usability IMO. However, I can no longer seem to call up a keyboard LOL

Other interesting: Monster Pinball, FTW. REally happening, even on my old phone. Looking forward to seeing it process on the 3GS.

Rachael Maddow's App: nicely done, but doesn't go horiz.

Voice memos: simple, effective. Like the ease to email - I've wanted an easy way to dictate and send myself a message while driving, this is it.

Cut/Copy/Paste: Well worth the wait. Simple, effective as well, and surprisingly easy and intuitive. Much likes.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »

on the subject of a voice memo app.

check out epiphany.
you turn it on, and it runs a rolling record of what your saying.
then you hit save and it will save the last N-seconds or minutes.
I use it in meetings. When someone says something stellar, I hit save and keep on going.
Not for the same use that you just said, which i agree, I have needed one too that doesnt suck.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:26:46 AM »

Oooh, like that notion a lot... so it's a FIFO microphone recorder stack with a configurable "capture and save the last (x) seconds?" Wow that's cool, have to go lookee.

Just did a couple voice memos (one handed to simulate driving) emailed perfectly. Would be really nice to be able to set up a default "Mail Me" to make things even go more easily, when I clicked Share / Send Message I still needed to enter the beginnings of my address to send it - but no subject or text necessary, it just went standalone. 98% good.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »

Nice update notice: WunderRadio update allows me to set the buffer size and preferred bitrate with much more accuracy. Set a 15 second buffer and then drove my normal path to one of my clients with 3 drop zones. No drops at all, the buffer handled the window. Very nice.

Still don't know if it'll get out of the way for a call though Wink

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 12:56:15 PM »

easy test...

turn on wunderwhatever
have pink call you...
duh.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »

Oh yeah. No problem building a test case.

Having the time ATM to do it, yes. Probably tonight. We're both split out at different clients ATM and mucho bizy.

Moving everything Friday (gonna try and turn up all in one day) at the larger client you handled for me ... want to do lunch and watch the rats run the wheel?

nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 02:33:53 PM »

I already have plans. Taking the day off and going to the childrens museum.
Otherwise I would have just come to lend a hand if needed.

Maybe next week? We are putting Ash in daycare finally.
Plus I need to go to getnet and reorganize my servers at some point, so maybe then?

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »

No worries, have a great time.

Yeah, next week sounds good - just need to put it on the calendar. Ping when something looks good.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript