The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 05:33:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad sales: incredible numbers.  (Read 1996 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »

2MM sold in first 58 days. 22 days later, 3rd million sold.

The first mm sold at 33,333 per day.
The second mm sold at 34,482 per day.
The third mm sold at 37,500 per day.

Analysts are saying that the rate of 1.5mm/month (current projection) will be 2.5mm/month by Christmas.

Fad? Mass hysteria? Apple fans gone wild? I think we can safely say that the thing is a phenom. A real one. It's already defined an entirely new class of instrument and, some argue, has shifted the computing market profoundly and for good. No matter what you want to say about Apple, this thing is a bona fide home run.

If I was in the market to compete with Apple in this form factor, I'd get off the pot and rock ASAP because at this rate, they're going to seal up a huge part of the market. Toshiba's got some interesting things in the works (check Engadget) and Google should have a sturdy competitor out somewhat soon ... but MAN they'd better get at it. And I'm going to be really interested to see how they try to shift mindshare off the iPad and on to their device. Very interested indeed.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »

Google should have a sturdy competitor out somewhat soon ...
I lolled Cheesy They probably first launch 10 new services that will compete in 10 tablet related industries, make deals with different companies in those industries to get them to support their device, then they fuck them by releasing gPad with their own half-assed services that compete with their new "partners" and gPad buyers get customer service of one email address.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 11:53:34 PM »

Smiley May well be. But there will be competitors and they will, regardless of their pedigree or construction methods, be thought of as awesome. More awesome, even, than the 'pad.

Well, by some anyway Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:44:23 AM »

If I was in the market to compete with Apple in this form factor, I'd get off the pot and rock ASAP because at this rate, they're going to seal up a huge part of the market.
The only competition Apple has is from asian companies. In the short term (5 years) it is not a problem.
Since all of apple's gadgets are manufactured in asia, they do not have to do fuk all.

But in another 5 years all USA will be is a supplier of raw materials, any manufacturing capabilities will be lost.
Right now China is unpegging the yuan against the US dollar. Yuan will climb.
So raw materials will become cheaper while since they have a monopoly on manufacturing things thier profit will increase.
And then China can use their manufacturing capabilities just like Russia is using its oil supply on Europe. Except they will be a little more subtle Smiley

I have explained how things work in Asia, but because Americans are too arrogant, too naive etc. They do not understand.
They are playing softball when everyone is playing hardball.

One possible senario, "mysteriously" foxconn and what other outsourced firms that make apple stuff have massive labour problems.
Ohh noo they can not manufacture any apple products until this is settled.
Ohhh nooo soo sorry Sir Apple, we are doing what we can to solve the problem.
Ohhh nooo you know how it is in a 3rd world country, we are not as advanced as USA you know.
Yes Sir Yes Sir, it will be solved soon (after nothing has been made after 3 months), maybe even tomorrow.
Ohhh Soo sorry sir, I think we will have a break through next week, (six month period).

By this time, apple is only worth pennies on thedollar. Using secret proxies, foxconn and the outsourced firms have bought up all apple stock.
Now they do not need to do anything  ROFLMAO
Probably they will not do above senario, but something more devious Smiley

A good book to read Smiley
Bright-Sided - How the Relentless Promotion of Positive Thinking Has Undermined America 2009
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:00:35 AM »

They do not understand. They are playing softball when everyone is playing hardball.
They will when all the logic bombs go off. Chinese & north Korea are in the position right now that US is the one doing catch-up. Too bad for US almost all hardware is made in Asia... When things start to happen, I'm glad I live far away from US Smiley

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »

Entirely plausible, and I'll even go with possible. But hardly certain.

That said, I agree with notion that Asia generally considers business to be war by other means (to paraphrase). America has never played hardball that way, and it may well be a defining aspect to the global marketplace. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript