The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 23, 2019, 02:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad inventory already running low for launch day...  (Read 5355 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »

You know, it doesn't matter if you love or hate them, you've got to give the Apple PR/Noise/Reality Distortion Field it's due.

Pre orders started at 0530 EST this morning. By 3pm EST several stores around the country are already saying that they are running low on inventory for launch day. Now, this could be programmatic "too little" at the stores to create this hype, or it could be that Apple proper (online orders, not store reservations) are estimated to have been over 50K in the first 2 hours. In either case, they understand and make use of momentum, marketing noise and hype better than any company I have *ever seen.*

Side note, yes, PinkHat and I were at the front of the list for 2 64G models.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »

You know, it doesn't matter if you love or hate them, you've got to give the Apple PR/Noise/Reality Distortion Field it's due.

Pre orders started at 0530 EST this morning. By 3pm EST several stores around the country are already saying that they are running low on inventory for launch day. Now, this could be programmatic "too little" at the stores to create this hype, or it could be that Apple proper (online orders, not store reservations) are estimated to have been over 50K in the first 2 hours. In either case, they understand and make use of momentum, marketing noise and hype better than any company I have *ever seen.*

Side note, yes, PinkHat and I were at the front of the list for 2 64G models.

like a high school romance, love and hate are the same thing... look at how many haters are out there feeding the spiders for maximum exposure.... brilliant.

also, :jealous:  Cheesy

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »

I remember when the 3G iPhone came out my aFanboi neighbors waited in line for 4 hours to get theirs (West Hollywood, CA).  Then they waited for another three to return them the next day.  Good thing they were gay lovers so they had something to do in line  ROFLMAO

True story.  Well, I'm sure they kept it PG13 in line Wink

Seriously I hope you enjoy them.  Let us know if you figure out how to tether them to your iPhones, which is apparently not possible according to a "leaked" Jobs email  Nerd

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:24:09 PM »

Oh yeah I almost forgot.

>PR/Noise/Reality Distortion Field

Praise

Their marketing is sick ass brilliant.  They corral some of the smartest individualists into their world view and turn the experience into a party.  They are true masters of hype-driven recurring revenue 

In a book I read recently there was a marketing suggestion that basically said: always always always go after the market leader.  When there is no market leader to target, go after the status quo.  I think we're seeing that time when Apple really gains nothing from comparing themselves to anyone else in their field.  They do better at this point to simply refer to everything else as some generic sub-par and status quo offering.  In any case, can an iPad flush a toilet?  Sweet - the next killer app  Wink

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 08:28:55 PM »

http://gizmodo.com/5259381/twitter-toilet-tweets-your-poo
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 08:37:34 PM »

That's got electrocution written all over it.  Twitter shitter play.  Damn there's a fetish for everything  ROFLMAO

rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 09:18:29 PM »

>fetish for everything

There's a chart for that:

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1071/w22161154eg9.gif
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:09:43 PM »

all i know is I have 1 on reserve, plus will buy a second unit the instant there is an idiot-simple video chat app with a snap on camera to send to the inlaws.

mine however is for probably about 60% biz R&D.  Grin

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22:38 PM »

Have to be honest, I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I'm very excited.

Please accept my apology in advance for a glowing, clearly biased review of the product.
Although I will try, I doubt I'll be able to be objective.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 12:10:18 AM »

>idiot-simple video chat app with a snap on camera to send to the inlaws.

I could see the usability and appeal for this purpose.  However I would avoid silicon-based lubricants when enjoying "after-hours" chats.  Hey that gives me an idea!  I'm off to patent the worlds next technological breakthrough:

The Bad-Touchscreen  Shocked

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 05:30:43 AM »

most of apple's shit is designed for idiots, that is why it is so popular Smiley
Phaėton
Lifer

⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:35 AM »

The Bad-Touchscreen  Shocked

row full mow   hahaha  ROFLMAO

Quote from: Patton Oswalt My weakness is my strong
Its uncle touchy's naked puzzle basement... you wont wear a shirt and youll cry!

When I was your age we used to walk to the TV to change the channel....  _̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 11:10:00 AM »

most of apple's shit is designed for idiots, that is why it is so popular Smiley

ROFLMAO And thank you for that, Nop.

Actually the world seems to disagree. The demographics of Apple users show that, by a reasonably large margin, they are mostly Liberal, college educated and have an above-average income.

<add>Start here: http://news.cnet.com/2100-1040-943519.html</add>
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:12:59 AM by perkiset » Logged

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 12:46:27 PM »

This is probably true given the criteria.  Basically it's Mac against the rest of the Windows-based PC world.  I'd venture to say the difference would be at least as great if you only looked at Linux users versus Mac users and certainly Linux users versus Windows-based PC users

But this is a silly statistical game in any case perks Wink

isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 12:49:05 PM »

>Its uncle touchy's naked puzzle basement...

ROFLMAO

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript