The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 22, 2019, 08:11:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: IPad 2s  (Read 7794 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »

yepper, PinkHat and I are in possession of a couple. I'll let you know what we think after we're done.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:38:17 PM »

I'm mostly curious as to whether the upgrade is really worth the $200-300 it would probably cost me.  I'm thinking "nice to have" but I'll probably wait for iPad 3 before upgrading.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »

yepper, PinkHat and I are in possession of a couple. I'll let you know what we think after we're done.

I hope they compensate you well, since your charitable contributions to Apple are worth a sizable annual salary 

Job Postings
------------

Beta Tester: $32,000 annual

ROFLMAO

I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:22:09 PM »

Just got back from dinner and it is up to date - the restore then install of everything and all the vids I had on my old one took probably an hour to install.

I like the feel of it in my hands. It's less light than I thought - the way people were talking I thought it'd be a feather - it's not. It's clearly lighter, but I'll look forward to the next couple years as it gets lighter still. But the shape in the hands is a big plus - I can tell I'll enjoy that a lot. The button is different. It's a much lighter touch, doesn't depress as much. I like it. Interestingly, sometimes it feels heavier. I think this is because it feels smaller in the hand and the feel-to-weigh ratio is different. The old one had more mass and you sort of expected the weight. This one feels like it should be lighter.

The browser speed: WOW. I mean, WOW. Truly, huge difference. It rivals desktop speed now, no kidding. syndk8, for example, is just a charlie-foxtrot of phuquing ads and bad CSS that used to really be a pain to load. It blows in like my desktop now. Even this site is way, way faster. Processing in general is definitely faster. Newstand, my personal favorite RSS reader loads much faster and renders great (thanks Nitro, I'm betting). Haven't looked at much video yet. But just using the Photos app and pinching/expanding folders etc is much more snappy and feels better. Movie display is what it is - but the video selector BEFORE the movies just seems to look better as well. Although the specs for the display are the same, holding the old and the new side-by-side the new just seems to look better. Crisper. It's subtle, but it's there.

There are a few new apps of course - Camera, FaceTime and PhotoBooth. Expected, but nice to see. I look forward to trying those out and then working with iMovie and GarageBand, which are selling points on the new pad.

The restore did a nice job of bringing back almost everything, but not entirely. It didn't remember the password for my local network or one of my email accounts which is peculiar - I entered them and all was good, but that raised an eyebrow. PinkHat also had one email account where the password didn't come across. PinkHat had the entire season 1 of Glee on her old pad and it didn't show up on the new - in fact, we're still trying to figure out where TV shows go, it's a little different.

I got both of us the new magnetic cover as well. I dunno yet. Very cool idea, love the fact that I can tear it off and the pad is just the pad. But it might wind up being gimmicky. Have to give it a couple weeks. I do like how it shuts the 'pad down and turns it on when you open or close it though.

More tomorrow as I put it through the paces.

<update>The 'pad feels the right weight when I take the cover off. The Apple cover sort of messes with the perception of the device.</update>
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:29:36 PM by perkiset » Logged

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »

I'm glad your 'mystery pad' proved worth the expense   

Damn you've got good luck! Wink

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 11:30:23 PM »

@ITTO: I'm dead certain there's sarcasm in there, but damn if I can figure it out Undecided

Update: Posting here is hugely improved. IMO, having all the animated smilies up above here had a tendency to make the padslow down a bit. And the smilies didn't always all go full speed, you could tell that they were stuttering.

not no more. they are all full speed, posting here feels like a desktop. delightful.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 11:30:39 PM »

Perk, can you do me a favor and run these tests with your brand new shiny iPad 2 and post the results Smiley

http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action
http://dromaeo.com/ -> Recommended tests

I'm mainly interested how much dual-core enhances the performance in browser environment in iPad 2. Also 4.3 has finally the same improved JS engine that Safari 5 has so it should also improve performance A LOT. I'll post my results with iPad 1 w/ 4.3 once 4.3.1 is out and gets untethered jailbreak Wink

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
isthisthingon
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 11:49:15 PM »

@ITTO: I'm dead certain there's sarcasm in there, but damn if I can figure it out Undecided

Yeppers - sarcasm abound!   ROFLMAO

No worries. Just continue with your impartial product review and everything will be right as rain!!  Wink

Sorry, but I just can't believe you actually bought another pad sight unseen.  What if it's totally retarded?? 

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:57 AM »

@ Sarcasm - I'd expect no less, just could find the humor.

@ impartial: who said this one was impartial? Dood, I waited on about 10K worth of gear I needed to purchase to schedule at 5pm last night, so that I could bypass the hundreds of people in line and be on of the first out with one. Impartial? My fanboiness is in full swing ATM.

@ Sight unseen: Love what I've had, the new one should be better. In my current role it's important that I have the best and the newest. There a business reason rationalizing behind my behavior.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 09:46:33 AM »

Update:

Everything software feels better, as the processing enhancement should have made it. More things stay alive in multitasking than before which is nice.

Accessories: The new size/shape is problematic for my accessories. I have an Altec Octiv beside the bed which it is too small for. However a bit of glue-gun in a couple areas should cramp the space enough to make the new 'pad sit right. Zaggmate: ALMOST fits right - it's just not snug enough to hold in. I'll use a couple drops of glue gun again to have the pad stand off the keyboard and believe it or not, I think it's going to be just right with the new magnetic cover on it for snuggness on the sides. PinkHat's back covers and such do not fit at all.

Bedtime reading: My way of reading is to form the sign language letter L, then rest the corner of the pad in the crook of the L. My thumb is under the long edge of the pad because I like reading in landscape mode. With the old pad, the flat bezel on the side made for a comfortable resting spot for the thumb. The new one, with an almost sharp edge and no side bezel isn't as comfortable after a while - I found myself shifting a bit. That said, the weight difference in this configuration was *very* noticeable - my hand was less fatigued after a long read.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 11:44:05 AM »

Camera: Quality is pretty crappy, but I'd not use it for that anyway. But the video camera is adequate. Just took a bunch of movies and it's nice. Also created an album in iPhoto for personal movies I want to keep on the pad, am now going to start experimenting with iMovie. First impression: I think this is going to be really good. Could be significant.

Facetime: Works well, except it makes me look like hell.
Oh wait, I just look like hell anyway. Never mind.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »

I take back what I said about weight earlier. The issue was definitely the Apple cover. Now having walked around with it for a while and then picking up my old one the difference is damn noticeable.

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 01:31:26 PM »

Kurdt: Safari posted a 699 for the peace keeper test. I'll do the other one in a bit.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 03:16:13 PM »

I take back what I said about weight earlier. The issue was definitely the Apple cover. Now having walked around with it for a while and then picking up my old one the difference is damn noticeable.

Still, I wouldn't think about carrying my iPad (1) around without a cover.  I've dropped it, a couple of times, and the cover has made that a non-event.  I wouldn't want to drop it (on a tile floor, perhaps) sans cover.  So the fact that the cover makes the Pad "feel" wrong is a shame.  I have a third-party leatherette case for my iPad and the weight and feel are fine.

The whole size/weight/feel thing is obviously very fluid and subjective, and getting it right is probably one of those, "I can't define it but I know it when I feel it" things.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »

Meh. Get insurance. I mentined the place on here somewhere in the past.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript