The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 19, 2019, 05:38:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad 2 apps  (Read 2111 times)
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:16:30 PM »

I received my iPad yesterday and have spent the greater part of the last 24 hrs hammering this thing into a form that suited me.  It is a great machine but given the amount of time I spend reading  the browser has to be to my liking ....and safari -while close- just didn't feel right.  OTOH, iCab Mobile browser an incredible piece of software. Highly configurable.  With it, I expect the iPad to become my main reading machine at home.

Pair icab with the myphonedesktop app and they handle some of the nuisance issues (like importing long urls or photos) any tablet is going to have.

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 10:50:51 AM »

OTOH, iCab Mobile browser an incredible piece of software. Highly configurable.  With it, I expect the iPad to become my main reading machine at home.

Pair icab with the myphonedesktop app and they handle some of the nuisance issues (like importing long urls or photos) any tablet is going to have.
Have you tried Atomic Browser or Atomic Web Browser or something like that? That's my default right now. However >=4.3 iOS there's the problem that no other browser than Safari gets the updated & faster javascript engine :/ All those Appstore browsers use UIWebView or whatever it's called and that still gets the old javascript engine Sad

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
rcjordan
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:00:38 AM »

>atomic

No, I'm a total noob at this apple stuff, kurdt.  In reading around, though, it appears that atomic and icab are very close. Each has their fans, but the differences seem to be over which best suits someone's personal preferences.

The 'apple banned downloading icab modules' announcement here in the us tech press was what first brought icab to my attention even before my iPad and black turtleneck had arrived.   After I ran safari through its paces and determined it was not going to be up to speed for me I went looking ....figuring that if it was good enough for Steve to ban then it was probably something worthwhile.

I wanted a tabbed browser with an opera-like speed dial or QuickStart home desktop.  I also need to be able to easily set the browser user agent to IE. Ideally, since I'd be giving up my high speed trackball for swiping, I wanted custom gestures.  I got all that with icab.  The ability to easily memorize form input is going to turn out to be a nice bonus as typing into small text blocks for logins is a nagging PITA --especially so without a keyboard.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:27:52 PM »

Looks like a nifty alternative, and their way of slipping in an interpreter was clever, however spanked by Apple a bit ago. The Apple reasoning against their rules is sound, bit still a PITA and from a wider perspective, pretty tough to defend IMO. It is in this very zone where the utter Apple control shows some of it's worst attributes.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript