« on: March 02, 2011, 02:10:00 PM »

So it's out.

• Thinner, lighter
  • Dual core A5
  • AT&T or Verizon dual network "world chip"
  • Front and back cameras
  • At least 2x processing speed, 9x faster graphics processing speed
  • White or black /yawn/
  • Better accelerometer and gyroscope stuff - obvious for games, but when combined with other apps, a bit more interesting
  • Misc. stuff like the magnetic lock (which is actually kind of cool) and a pricey $40 adapter to go 1080p to HDMI in on a TV
  • Combined with some of the new app stuff (Garage Band, iMovie) it looks pretty incredible. As a musician, to have a complete 8 track polytimbral sequencer and instruments on a simple little touch screen device is damn impressive.

Of course PinkHat and I will each have one (she wants white, I'll stay with classic black) moments after they are out. I made one phone call and sold both of ours even before I'd managed to call the Apple store and reserve the new ones.

I've changed my MO just a bit as well: Where I've maintained my Sprint MiFi because we needed network on our WiFi only iPads, I've changed to putting it into the device. A couple thoughts: First, my Sprint deal is not really a deal. $68/month for a lot of data, but not unlimited. I never, ever get close to the limit. No advance to 4G, I'm stuck. More importantly though, I'll certainly be selling these pads and moving on again in a year or less as the newest one comes out. Ergo, this decision will impact me for a year or less at most. And since I don't *have* to have the broadband turned on, I can reduce my monthly if I choose to go WiFi only and I'm only out the $129 for the broadband antenna. So two 'pads at 25-30 each and they can both log on any time (there's an additional benefit with VPN access here), or 1 MiFi, we both can't use it if we're apart and it's as expensive as both. No brainer here. Especially since the wireless tethering option is supposed to be available automatically with Verizon. Dunno yet - if they want to charge me more for that I may keep it off. And since both 'pads will be connected anyway, I don't know that I see a big need for wireless tethering anymore.

How about you? What are your thoughts?

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:06:27 PM »

Trying to decide whether I should upgrade or not.  I'm quite happy with the existing pad, so if the upgrade will cost me several hundred dollars (difference between selling the old one and the cost of the new one) I'm not sure it's worth it.

I am not sure I get the value of the back camera.  The front one, sure.  But the back one seems more like a checklist item.  Or maybe there'd be occasional use for it with Facetime.

Faster is obviously good, though I really have no complaints about the speed of the first generation pad.  Smaller and lighter, obviously good.  The new cases look cool.  Basically it's all good, I just don't know if the improvements justify the cost of upgrading.

How much did you get for your old ones, Perks?
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:25:55 PM »

$400. new 64G WiFis will now be selling for $599, so I think that's a reasonable deal, since they are essentially in pristine condition (Mine's got a little bump, but you have to look to find it, and know what you're looking for). Net: it's costing me $300 to upgrade. I will be spending the extra though for 3G this time, which will bump me another $129.

Actually I've become less satisfied with the 'pads speed as I've used it harder. I'm looking forward to a lot snappier web page construction, as well as some of the music things I do which require everything the little guy's got.

@ Back camera: I'm really back and forth about it. I went to see the marketing vids @ apple.com and there's one shot of a guy holding it, facetiming a birthday party to someone else and another shot of recording events like that. I guess it could work, and with a $5 iMovie (which does look pretty damn good) perhaps that makes sense. Does feel kind of like a check list item for Apple though.

I was underwhelmed by the cover announcement until I went and saw the vids on that - it's quite novel actually and think it may work well. I've not typically been a fan of the covers that Apple puts out, but that one might just make the grade. The ability to have it connected or not, and then the magnetic on/off on the pad itself is all a pretty nice feature. Perhaps. Have to see that one in action.

They have a comparison slide showing iPad 1 and iPad 2 edge to edge. The new 'pad is essentially as think as the old iPad below the frame/bezel area (  Shocked ) in other words, the new pad is about as thick as the rounded back part of the original. From a shear technical perspective, they really have aesthetic-to-capability ration down nicely.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06:18 PM »

They didn't improve the display so I'm gonna skip this one. Well, we are probably going to get one for the office for testing but personally I don't think it gives enough new stuff for me to upgrade. If I was constantly traveling with iPad, then the weight would probably be enough to get a new one but dual-chip, meh. I'm not sure if I'm going blind but I can't find anywhere in Apple's site how much memory iPad2 has.. 256MB that the iPad has is way too low for proper multitasking :/

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »

Fine i will weigh in.

I am a bit jaded at this point i think, so take it FWIW.

Weight: YEAY
Thinner: congrats to them, but really meh.
No sharp edge: YEAY
Dual Core: only yeay in rare occurrences.
Faster: meh. Eventually will be required, now just nice to have.
512mg ram: meh, dual core, so might only be 256 per core... If not, nice, but again, not yet required.
world chip: imporant for some, me, not so much. im a hermit.
front camera: grandma can now actually see you in face time. for some BIG, for me, again, nice but not required.
Back Camera: uh, why? because you already had the cam circuitry? ok fine, but really, i aint using my ipad to take video or photos.
Accel and gyro: pfft. whateva. Still have found no app that i care about motion that precisely about. Only one would be the astronomy ones maybe.
white/black: LOL. dont hold your breath on white...
magnet lock: I see exactly where this is heading. neat idea, decent concept, but frankly, I would bet this becomes a thorn. hope im wrong.

Something implied but not detailed. Pressure sensitive screen? The garage band demo explains the harder you hit, the louder it is?

Im not really sure what the features are that could have made it a "must upgrade". For many, it may be the camera for facetime with grandma.

I would have thought induction charging.

But again, the OS is the important part and dictates all. I hope they add wireless sync sometime soon. Im starting to get annoyed by the lack of this and there is ZERO reason why not.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
Dornbrook
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:59:58 PM »

They didn't improve the display so I'm gonna skip this one. Well, we are probably going to get one for the office for testing but personally I don't think it gives enough new stuff for me to upgrade.ipad 2 cases
leather ipad 2 cases
iPad2 cases If I was constantly traveling with iPad, then the weight would probably be enough to get a new one but dual-chip, meh. I'm not sure if I'm going blind but I can't find anywhere in Apple's site how much memory iPad2 has.. 256MB that the iPad has is way too low for proper multitasking :/

They have a comparison slide showing iPad 1 and iPad 2 edge to edge. The new 'pad is essentially as think as the old iPad below the frame/bezel area (   ) in other words, the new pad is about as thick as the rounded back part of the original. From a shear technical perspective, they really have aesthetic-to-capability ration down nicely.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:50:09 PM »

Oh that's a pretty good spam. I'm even going to leave it just for a little bit so y'all can see what was done. Nice work.

but alas, it will be editing shortly. at that point I'll make it clear what was so that you folks reading along can do the same as you see fit...

kurdt
Lifer

paha arkkitehti

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »

Oh that's a pretty good spam. I'm even going to leave it just for a little bit so y'all can see what was done. Nice work.

but alas, it will be editing shortly. at that point I'll make it clear what was so that you folks reading along can do the same as you see fit...
That is pretty slick indeed Smiley I wonder if it scans the text incase the target anchor text already exists in the text. Then you could get ever less spammy look just by adding the links.

I met god and he had nothing to say to me.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »

lol. not bad. add to that changing the link font color to match the main font color, and it might get missed quite a bit. like the period trick of yore.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:11:39 AM by nutballs » Logged

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 05:37:39 PM »

I was thinking the same but din't want to say it out loud - perhaps the next guy will get me Wink

BUENAVENTURA
n00b

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »

Guys,,,,,
I am really inspired  from Ipad 2 which has the following features as below

Faster device with new chip called A5, dual core processor and upto 9x faster graphics.

2 cameras on iPad 2 device for video chat and pictures
It is as thin from 13.4mm to 8.8mm .
It has the magnetic cover for the screen

Spammer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript