The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 18, 2019, 07:05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iOS 4.2 Update  (Read 3717 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2010, 01:43:47 PM »

Got in moments after they opened it up - wanted to make sure I had it and worked through any wrinkles before my clients do.

So:
  • A little sketchy at first. The update actually seized iTunes and froze on the 'pad in the last, something like 98% zone of being done. Force quit iTunes, unplugged the 'pad - it finished the update and rebooted. Interesting. Plugged back into iTunes and the two went on as if they'd always been friends. There didn't seem to be any damage from the incomplete update.
  • Folders did not work for me immediately. I had to disconnect the iPad, create a folder, then recreate it to be able to do anything with them in iTunes. Once that was done, I was Mr. Folder Happy.
  • Multitasking: the things that are ready work brilliantly. iTap RDP for example works GREAT and it's really nice to be able to flip from my ToDo back to RDP and not have to reconnect. That said, I left it connected for an hour but not touched and when I went back to it, the connection had been terminated. Probably an inactivity thing. When I got back to RDP it simply said the connection had been terminated, I reconnected it and all we well.
  • AIM: The iPhone version (for $2.99, not the free one) stays logged in while it is in the background. The iPad version logs out, even though it's still in the task bar. However you can set preferences to "don't log out for 24 hours when I quit" and it is *ostensibly* like it's still running. Push alerts come through fine on both, so there's really no worry. It will be nicer when the iPad version is updated to behave correctly, but it essentially works the way I want it to.
  • Citrix Receiver: Not ready for multitasking yet. Even though it stays in the bar, it disconnects the session. So flipping back to it requires another sign in. This is particularly problematic with some Windows apps, because they don't like to be disconnected and reconnected the way the app does. I am hoping that they get on this one straight away, because it will really help both me and the clients.
  • zTools (network utilities) did a nice job - although the app is frozen when its backgrounded, it comes right back like it should when popped back up. So - start a ping flood against an address, go to another app, come back and the ping flood starts right back at where you left it. Nice.
  • ToDo: AWESOME that it flips in and out so quickly. The load time was only a few seconds, but it's still nicer to be in and out.
  • iPod controls and "root" multitask bar: still not sure why they changed the switch on the right to a mute rather than screen switch, but I guess it's OK. The Don't Rotate soft switch in the multitask bar is adequate.
  • AirPlay: Haven't tried it yet, but I am pretty familiar with it and will give it a workout later this evening.
  • AirPrint: Haven't even been able to figure out where to go to get this going yet.

All in all, a reasonable update. Looking forward to getting through the rest of the features, will post as I know more.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:08:57 PM »

Updates:

Airplay: Works like a charm, except it is not as powerful as AirPlay from a normal Mac. For example: on my Mac I can drive all the receivers (AppleTVs and AirportExpresses) at the same time - with the iPad I can only have a single destination. That's really OK, because I wouldn't build a single-source, multi output home system based on the iPad. Using the Remote app I can drive a multi-zone system, supported by my main Mac easily. Airplay is really to say I want (this content) on (that receiver) right now. Works for that like a charm.

Printing: Sure enough, printing to shared printers is gone. I didn't want to continue with the hack because who knows how Apple might mess with that in the future, so I downloaded the trial for this: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/ Printopia is a control panel pane that shares our the shared printers on your Mac. Worked flawlessly, instantly. Installed it, selected the printers I want available, then went to an email with an attachment on the 'pad and sent it right to the printer I want. Can't say enough about how easy it was.

It's $9.95 for the app which is totally reasonable IMO. Wanted to share everything here, so I added all the shared printers from other computers to mine, shared them as well and Voila! Worked like a charm. Well done utility for a reasonable price.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »

Printing Addendum: Apps that don't have the right setup won't work. For example: News Rack (my Reader of choice) is not set up to print, so even though the "send item" icon is available, Print is not one of the options.

Seems like, predominately, the Apple apps are ready to go and there'll need to be updates from others to get with the program.

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »

Thanks for the detailed update, Perks.   Smiley

I didn't have any of the problems you did during the update of my iPad, nor did I have any problem creating folders.  Everything worked just like it was supposed to.  I'm going to guess your experience was a minor fluke.

I haven't played much with multitasking yet, I spent the spare time I had getting folders somewhat organized, I was desperate for them... I'd maxed out on applications which could be displayed (11 pages) and so finally can organize and see all of my apps.

Thanks for the link to the Printopia software, I'd read about that here and elsewhere and will give it a try.

D-8r
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:51:20 PM »

I had zero issues.

The switch change is really annoying. I don't get why they changed that. Holding volume to mute worked great I thought.

Weird thing....
I can type better. Lol
They added shadows to the keyboard, so the keys are "up" more. For some reason though I seem to be able to type better.

My main want was folders. Everything else is meh. Though IM in background is good, as well as my todo app now actually working how its should.

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:40:10 PM »

Agreed about the mute/orientation switch.  They took away something useful in order to give us a SECOND way to mute the volume.  Seems silly to me.  Doing the software orientation lock takes three steps instead of the previous one step.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 09:44:54 PM »

I've been really curious as we as to why it's such an issue for Steveo. It seems as though several Apple people have (clandestinely) posted that a soft setting would be a good idea, but that's been shot down. Seems strangely over controlled.

Oh wait ... this is Apple we're talking about  ROFLMAO ROFLMAO ROFLMAO

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »

I thought of a soft setting (user-configurable) for the switch too, it makes sense, though I can understand why Apple might not want to implement it (commonality of user interface, which is probably an argument for making it MUTE, just like an iPhone.)  But I've become so accustomed to using that switch for orientation lock, now I keep switching it and going, "oh, damn!" 

Of course, I can unlearn my habit.  But I'm finding that the inconvenience of switching screen lock now discourages me from doing it.  I'll hold the iPad in an uncomfortable position just to keep it from flipping, it tends to feel like too much trouble to double-push, slide, and tap.
nutballs
Administrator
Lifer

Back in my day we had 9 planets

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »

Does everything seem slower? Or actually like, laggy? Or stutters every so often?

I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and shit a better argument than that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:32:21 PM »

I've not seen anything like that on my 'pad, but have not done the phone.

Seems just right to me...

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 07:59:04 PM »

No slowness or lagginess (not a word, but I'll use it anyway!) on either iPhone 4 or iPad.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript