The Cache: Technology Expert's Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. September 16, 2019, 01:46:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: iOS 4.2 and AirPrint  (Read 2437 times)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »

I have no idea yet if AirPrint will be included, disincluded or hobbled in the new 10.6.5 OS and the iOS 4.2 ... so I've pre-scoffed the files necessary to make it happen if they pull it.

Ping here if you're interested in the know-how.

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »

From what I read, the ability to print to "shared" printers has been pulled.  Not really sure what that means.  If they mean that support for a printer physically connected to one computer (via USB, typically) and share via the OS's printer sharing feature won't be supported, I'm fine with that, since that isn't my situation.  But I have a networked printer and I'm hoping to be able to print to it from my iPad.  That's obviously a "shared" printer too, and I'm not clear on whether it will work or not.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »

By default, no.

The only printers that will work stand-alone are the brand new HPs. If you want to print to anything else you'd need to share that printer (ergo, it's drivers, queue etc) from a machine and then find it on the pad.

The rumors are that printing to anything other than a new HP (via shares) will be disabled.

Hence this post. Wink

It is now believed, that after having lived in one compound with 3 wives and never leaving the house for 5 years, Bin Laden called the U.S. Navy Seals himself.
daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:37:33 PM »

Well, that's just stupid.  But I assume it's because they had some not-easily-resolvable problems with the "printing through your Mac or PC" architecture which they need to fix before rolling out that feature, and they needed to get the iPad 4.2 release out the door.  I have got to assume, in the absence of any contrary information, that the ability to print to shared printers will arrive in an upcoming release.

Only allowing you to print to certain standalone HP printers leaves most users out in the cold, and I'm sure Apple knows that.
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »

Hopefully we'll know tomorrow. The stink is that these a patent troll out there and it's causing the platform grief. No official word though.

I'll post as I know more, because I totally agree, that AirPrint is barely worht mention if it is only to new HPs of particular capability. Man I hope that's not the case.

But in any case, Ive the files from earlier 10.6.5 deployments that enable sharing a shared printer to iOS, so a bit of tweaking to a desktop Mac and you may be all good to go. 

daviator
Expert

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:07:52 PM »

I just read about the reputed patent issue.  I'm beginning to agree with those who are calling for IP/patent reform.  I think companies who invent new technology and actually use it in a product deserve some protection.  But I'm not sure that applies to patent trolls who merely seek to extort money from companies who inadvertently tread on "their" claimed turf.

Anyway, I'll be watching this one.  And I wouldn't be enormously sad if the missing files and instructions to activate shared-printer use appeared in my mailbox.  ;-)
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:15:39 PM »

Copy that. Perhaps later when I am back at my desk Ill craft an email to a friend... Wink

nop_90
Global Moderator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 08:08:09 AM »

WTF Huh?
We are regressing Smiley
Do the highend HP lasers still have a IR port on them ?
I don't think IR used anymore. Cool when u had a PDA and u could dump tons of shit into the printer from IR port.
Got around annoying things like print quota etc Smiley
perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »

The new ePrint specification is only available on select, brand new HP printers.

Believe it or not, it's built on a fairly weird EMail protocol LOL real high tech there man.

Bummer, it looks like no 4.2 today - there was a new gold master released released today, rumors are that it's about WiFi issues and they've pushed off till at least next Tuesday, if not all the way till the 24th. The new iTunes did make it out today though - and with no support for shared printers it looks as though they have have pulled support (iTunes was necessary for Windows machines to share the printer in the right way for iOS 4.2).

Undecided

perkiset
Olde World Hacker
Administrator
Lifer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »

Now we're talking. I actually like this solution even better:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/18/printopia-and-fingerprint-bring-airprint-functionality-to-shared-printers/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Perkiset's Place Home   Best of The Cache   phpMyIDE: MySQL Stored Procedures, Functions & Triggers
Politics @ Perkiset's   Pinkhat's Perspective   
cache
mart
coder
programmers
ajax
php
javascript